Best product/techniques for mites - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #11
Mike Greathouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND
Nix can be used on everything from the snake to the tank.
David,
I would strongly urge against the direct application of this on the animal.

Since there are no tests (that I am aware of) regarding the use of this product directly on reptiles, I would suggest taking the safe route and avoiding direct contact. We are dealing with chemicals here.

It would be a shame to find out down the road that direct exposure has a detrimental effect.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #12
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
I've used Reptile Relief with great success myself.

However, whatever product you choose, be sure to use as directed to avoid any possible complications. It specifically states on the back of the Reptile Relief bottle to not use any more often than at 3 day intervals. Misuse of ANY product increases the chance of there being complications.
Good to hear.

I keep a bottle around just in case.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:03 AM   #13
darkbloodwyvern
cool, thanks!

I will be picking up some reptile relief next trip to the pet shop, thanks all! this is exactly the info i needed!
~jessi

Old 02-19-2007, 09:59 AM   #14
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbloodwyvern
I will be picking up some reptile relief next trip to the pet shop, thanks all! this is exactly the info i needed!
~jessi
Jessi -

If they don't have it you can get it from The Bean Farm or Reptile Basics.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:16 PM   #15
garweft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
I've used Reptile Relief with great success myself.

However, whatever product you choose, be sure to use as directed to avoid any possible complications. It specifically states on the back of the Reptile Relief bottle to not use any more often than at 3 day intervals. Misuse of ANY product increases the chance of there being complications.
Earlier I said I used it 3 days in a row, then again 2 weeks later. After reading this and checking the bottle, I am almost certain that I didn't use it 3 days in a row. I'm guessing I used it for 3 treatments in a row but with the 3 days between each treatment, then repeated this after 2 weeks.

I am almost certain that I didn't disregard the instructions on the bottle, as I don't usually missuse potentialy harmful products.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:47 PM   #16
starwarsdad
Another vote for Reptile Relief. I got a female ball in last summer that was covered in mites. After 3 treatments (following the directions), she has been clean with no spreading to other animals in the collection.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:36 PM   #17
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Ashton
Equate Bedding Spray and Provent-A-Mite are both 0.5% Permethrin Spray.

Permethrin is an insecticide.

Provent-A-Mite (Manufactured by Coulston Products - Easton, PA) is actually marketed under two different trade names. The "only spray approved for use in reptiles" is nothing more than marketing spin. Under the one name "Provent-A-Mite" - the product is registered for use with reptiles. Under the products other registered name - its approved uses is identical to Equate Bedding Spray.

The only ACTIVE ingredient in either Equate Bedding Spray or Provent-A-Mite is 0.5% Permethrin.

The only significant difference between the two products is price. Provent-A-Mite costs approximately $20.00 for 6 ounces while Equate Bedding Spray costs approximately $4.00 for 5 ounces.

Neither product is safe for application directly on an animal.
Wrong on many counts. Feel free to reread this post which I am sure you read already on bp.net:

I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with Bob Pound, the manufacturer of Provent A Mite. He may be the most knowledgeable person about pest control and the chemicals used this side of my local exterminator. I am sure the information that he provided which I will post here will be dismissed as bias by those who believe beyond a reasonable doubt that Equate is:

A. The same product in a different can
B. Equally as safe for reptiles
C. Equally as effective

Take it as you will, but this information is pretty damn convincing in my mind (which may not be on par with some of the insta-experts that reside here).

Here you go (his direct information will be in quotes):

Claim: Equate is the same product in a different can and is equally safe for reptiles as Provent A Mite

"The word permethrin is a generic name of a group of pyrethroid chemical isomers. This is like saying everything with the word soap is the same thing. Put your wet hand into a box of powdered laundry detergent and see if it is the same as a bar of ivory, but they are both "soap".

Without exception, these other products use a much more toxic isomer as they are all designed to be applied to material that maybe will have the potential for contact with mammals, which have a completely different physiology than reptiles do. These products are designed to be as toxic as possible to get a quick "knock down". These higher toxicities will not harm mammals, but are documented to harm lower vertebrates, including reptiles, fish, amphibians, mollusks and so forth and therefore can be used for these other uses. Also, only a very small percentage of what is in the can is the "active" ingredient, the rest is always a trade secret of the company, so will never be disclosed (only the generic active name has to be disclosed under EPA regulations). Different isomers have differing toxicities and again, only a range of the cis-trans ratio is given on a label, so one can never find out what is really in the can (again trade secret).

Since a product is only approved by the EPA for the uses listed on the label, chemicals in the formula that are not toxic to the host for the testing submitted, doesn't mean they would not be toxic to a host not listed. If fact many of the "inerts" used in these permethrin formulas are toxic to reptiles. If the company tried to receive EPA approval with these formulas for use on reptiles, they would not, as the EPA would not allow a product to be sold that would harm the host listed on the label. This is why the EPA regulations state that it is a federal offense to sell or use a product inconsistent with the label, not only because of the risk to the host, but also because such usage can create resistance.

Many products for example, use a more toxic isomer and then use a synergist such as PBO. PBO breaks through the insect's defense and its synergistic activity makes the insecticide more powerful and effective. With the high cost of insecticides, PBO effectively reduces the cost by allowing the product to use les s active ingredient to obtain the mortality rate desired. The problem with this is PBO is absolutely toxic to reptiles with several published studies regarding using PBO for the killing of brown tree and other snakes confirming this.

Despite anyone's claim to the contrary, many of these other "identical" products have injured and killed many reptiles as we get the phone calls from people telling us after the fact. Also many times, the exposure can lead to chronic health problems instead of an acute reaction, so if the animal dies at a later date, no one looks back and understands the actual cause of death. This is a classic example with no pest strips. No clinical studies were ever performed and people just started using them, using their animals as guinea pigs. Only after many years of usage were the risks associated with them disclosed. This has been established by many leading zoos and vets, but even now, many people still swear they are the best thing to use and do not pose any risk."

Provent-a-mite™ is the only product that has been approved by the EPA and USDA], has undergone extensive clinical and field studies to insure that will eliminate, not just control a mite or tick problem and is unique enough to have received a patent. No other product is more effective or can make these claims and certainly no other product is the same as Provent-a-mite™”

Claim: Equate (and other similar products) are equally as effective in killing mites and their eggs

"Provent-a-mite™ is the only product that will create residual protection that will not drop down to levels that can create resistance. We use a proprietary "time" release that ensures that it will create a long term residual effect at a high enough concentration to prevent the potential t o create resistant pests. Since mites and ticks can carry several diseases that can be harmful or fatal to the host, just getting an infestation is already too late if the pest was infected. Applying Provent-a-mite™to a cloth and then wiping around any openings in a cage will provide a barrier that will last a minimum of 30 days (usually 60 to 180 days). This will kill any ectoparasites before they can infest and potentially infect an animal. None of these other products can do this as their formulas are designed to break down very quickly, often in as little as 48 hours.

Provent-a-mite™ is also one of the least expensive methods when one compares the cost per application and the number of applications required. To treat an average 4' x 2' cage is approximately 50¢ with usually only one application required. To use the product preventatively, the cost for an average cage is about 5¢. The product has an average shelf life of 7 years. One of the biggest problems is that many people overuse the product, so the can will not treat as many cages as it actually should, costing more to use it than necessary.”

Old 02-19-2007, 08:27 PM   #18
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglass38
Wrong on many counts. Feel free to reread this post which I am sure you read already on bp.net:

I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with Bob Pound, the manufacturer of Provent A Mite. He may be the most knowledgeable person about pest control and the chemicals used this side of my local exterminator. I am sure the information that he provided which I will post here will be dismissed as bias by those who believe beyond a reasonable doubt that Equate is:

A. The same product in a different can
B. Equally as safe for reptiles
C. Equally as effective

Take it as you will, but this information is pretty damn convincing in my mind (which may not be on par with some of the insta-experts that reside here).
Bob Pound isn't the manufacturer of Provent-A-Mite - he distributes Cic residual pressurized insecticide no. v under the name Provent-A-Mite through his company:

Pro products
36 split rock road
Mahopac, NY 10541
Company Number: 073617

The manufacturer of Cic residual pressurized insecticide no. v (marketed by Pro products as Provent-A-Mite) is:

Coulston products inc
Po box 30
Easton, PA 18044
Phone: 6102530167
Company Number: 050404

Quote:
Here you go (his direct information will be in quotes):

Claim: Equate is the same product in a different can and is equally safe for reptiles as Provent A Mite

The word permethrin is a generic name of a group of pyrethroid chemical isomers. This is like saying everything with the word soap is the same thing. Put your wet hand into a box of powdered laundry detergent and see if it is the same as a bar of ivory, but they are both "soap".
This simply isn't true. Permethrin is a chemical compound with a distinct molecular structure. He may be confused with pyrethrins, which are a class of compunds frequently used in pesticide products to disrupt the Central Nervous System of insects. (below is an image of Permethrin's molecular structure as to show that it indeed is a unique compund, not a class of compounds).

Quote:
Without exception, these other products use a much more toxic isomer as they are all designed to be applied to material that maybe will have the potential for contact with mammals, which have a completely different physiology than reptiles do. These products are designed to be as toxic as possible to get a quick "knock down". These higher toxicities will not harm mammals, but are documented to harm lower vertebrates, including reptiles, fish, amphibians, mollusks and so forth and therefore can be used for these other uses. Also, only a very small percentage of what is in the can is the "active" ingredient, the rest is always a trade secret of the company, so will never be disclosed (only the generic active name has to be disclosed under EPA regulations). Different isomers have differing toxicities and again, only a range of the cis-trans ratio is given on a label, so one can never find out what is really in the can (again trade secret).
The only ACTIVE ingredient in either product is 0.5% Permethrin. No difference in concentration.

Quote:
Since a product is only approved by the EPA for the uses listed on the label, chemicals in the formula that are not toxic to the host for the testing submitted, doesn't mean they would not be toxic to a host not listed. If fact many of the "inerts" used in these permethrin formulas are toxic to reptiles. If the company tried to receive EPA approval with these formulas for use on reptiles, they would not, as the EPA would not allow a product to be sold that would harm the host listed on the label. This is why the EPA regulations state that it is a federal offense to sell or use a product inconsistent with the label, not only because of the risk to the host, but also because such usage can create resistance.
Remember Cic residual pressurized insecticide no. v ?

That's what Provent-A-Mite is. Under the EPA registration for Cic residual pressurized insecticide no. v the uses are exactly the same as every other 0.5% Permethrin Spray including Equate Bedding Spray (and in fact dozens others).

Compare:

Cic residual pressurized insecticide no. v (Provent-A-Mite)

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_...NR=073617#Dist

Equate Bedding Spray

http://pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Prod...DIST_NR=052352

Quote:
Many products for example, use a more toxic isomer and then use a synergist such as PBO. PBO breaks through the insect's defense and its synergistic activity makes the insecticide more powerful and effective. With the high cost of insecticides, PBO effectively reduces the cost by allowing the product to use les s active ingredient to obtain the mortality rate desired. The problem with this is PBO is absolutely toxic to reptiles with several published studies regarding using PBO for the killing of brown tree and other snakes confirming this.

Despite anyone's claim to the contrary, many of these other "identical" products have injured and killed many reptiles as we get the phone calls from people telling us after the fact. Also many times, the exposure can lead to chronic health problems instead of an acute reaction, so if the animal dies at a later date, no one looks back and understands the actual cause of death. This is a classic example with no pest strips. No clinical studies were ever performed and people just started using them, using their animals as guinea pigs. Only after many years of usage were the risks associated with them disclosed. This has been established by many leading zoos and vets, but even now, many people still swear they are the best thing to use and do not pose any risk."
I'll bet people that use PBO based sprays do kill their animals. PBO is piperonyl butoxide, an insecticide compund that kills just about everything and is alos heavily regulated by the EPA. But we aren't talking about PBO. Equate Bedding Spray doesn't contain PBO - it contains 0.5% Permethrin as its active ingredient - just as Cic residual pressurized insecticide no. v (Provent-A-Mite) does.

Quote:
Provent-a-mite™ is the only product that has been approved by the EPA and USDA], has undergone extensive clinical and field studies to insure that will eliminate, not just control a mite or tick problem and is unique enough to have received a patent. No other product is more effective or can make these claims and certainly no other product is the same as Provent-a-mite™”

Claim: Equate (and other similar products) are equally as effective in killing mites and their eggs

"Provent-a-mite™ is the only product that will create residual protection that will not drop down to levels that can create resistance. We use a proprietary "time" release that ensures that it will create a long term residual effect at a high enough concentration to prevent the potential t o create resistant pests. Since mites and ticks can carry several diseases that can be harmful or fatal to the host, just getting an infestation is already too late if the pest was infected. Applying Provent-a-mite™to a cloth and then wiping around any openings in a cage will provide a barrier that will last a minimum of 30 days (usually 60 to 180 days). This will kill any ectoparasites before they can infest and potentially infect an animal. None of these other products can do this as their formulas are designed to break down very quickly, often in as little as 48 hours.

Provent-a-mite™ is also one of the least expensive methods when one compares the cost per application and the number of applications required. To treat an average 4' x 2' cage is approximately 50¢ with usually only one application required. To use the product preventatively, the cost for an average cage is about 5¢. The product has an average shelf life of 7 years. One of the biggest problems is that many people overuse the product, so the can will not treat as many cages as it actually should, costing more to use it than necessary.”
Marketing spin again.

As stated above - Provent-A-Mite is Cic residual pressurized insecticide no. v which contains as its active ingredient - 0.5% Permethrin - a distinct chemical compound.

Its true that Provent-A-Mite is registered for use with reptiles, but under its other name - Cic residual pressurized insecticide no. v, its uses are exactly the same as other 0.5% Permethrin sprays.
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2007, 03:49 PM   #19
jglass38
I think I'll choose to believe Bob, a guy who knows his stuff better than just about anything out there. Although thanks for the chemistry lesson!

Old 02-21-2007, 03:59 PM   #20
Scott Ashton
Quote:
I think I'll choose to believe Bob, a guy who knows his stuff better than just about anything out there. Although thanks for the chemistry lesson!
Choose to believe whomever you like.

I presented fact.

You presented opinion - the opinion of the person who markets the product.

As far as being wrong Jamie - much of what you wrote was inaccurate.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!