Oh, deer... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 03-19-2023, 12:29 PM   #1
Socratic Monologue
Oh, deer...

The self-preservation instincts of whitetailed deer are hard to figure. If a person sits 25 feet up in a tree in full camouflage, a deer will smell the laundry detergent the camo was washed in three months prior and not come within a quarter mile. On the other hand, put a bunch of lights on a noisy 3,500 lb chunk of steel and pilot it at 55 mph down a rural highway and every deer in the area will plot an intercept course with the accuracy of an Apollo moon mission.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2023, 12:59 PM   #2
bcr229
I feel your pain. I hit one with my Suburban about 15 years ago. $800 to fix just the damage that would make it road-worthy again. The cosmetic parts still aren't fixed.

Between me and the hubby we've nailed eight of them but only the Suburban took damage that one time.

Old 03-19-2023, 02:30 PM   #3
Socratic Monologue
This is only my second deer strike ever, but my wife has hit three in the last five or so years.

I'm happy the car is still driveable (the body shop is scheduling a month out), but there's over 5k worth of damage there. That would have financed a really nice deer hunting trip for someone to harvest a few deer (we get 3 tags on a regular archery license, and can buy additional tags for like ten dollars).

Old 03-19-2023, 08:54 PM   #4
WebSlave
I am surprised we haven't smacked a deer around here. Connie is scared to death to drive at night because of all the deer we can see lurking alongside the roadways. Sometimes it can be downright spooky seeing all those eyes reflecting back at us from the headlights. All it takes is for one of them to make a bad judgement call and we have one coming in through the windshield at high speed. Having a mortally wounded deer thrashing around in our laps while we are still traveling at high speed probably wouldn't end well for us.

One of the more noteworthy road hazards, I guess.

Old 03-20-2023, 03:22 PM   #5
JColt
Sorry to hear this. I travel daily through about 15 mile of cornfield and 15 mile of mostly barren suburbs. Deer galore at 4:30am. So far been lucky (33 years traveling this road) I did run over a dead one in middle of road one time and other than smelling steak at every stop no damage. I hit a frozen racoon one time and lost a tire and rim. I ran over a snapping turtle and darn near flipped my truck once and hit a huge possum that cracked my spoiler. Hope insurance company takes care of you!

Old 03-20-2023, 08:06 PM   #6
Socratic Monologue
Like an obstacle course, it sounds like.

Yes, insurance is covering things. And no humans were hurt, and that's what really counts. I do feel bad for animals when I hit them, worst when it looks like something got injured but runs off. The county sheriff came out and dispatched the deer I hit, which was down for good but not quite dead.

Old 04-02-2023, 10:50 AM   #7
Lucille
John I am so glad you were not hurt. I could see that a deer in the road could be a real danger for a young new inexperienced driver, or one of the many who text while they drive so their attention is not on the road.

Old 04-02-2023, 08:14 PM   #8
Socratic Monologue
Thanks, Lucille. It was me and our daughter in the car, so I am glad it wasn't worse, too.

I do have hardwired the appropriate response to any animal in the road, which is to brake as hard as is safe but continue to travel in a straight line. That keeps the car out of the ditch, and away from trees, and keeps it from rolling. It doesn't necessarily eliminate damage to the car, but does minimize it and that's easily repairable anyway.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!