Question for Reticulated python owners in Ohio - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:18 PM   #1
Vipercobra69
Question for Reticulated python owners in Ohio

I was wondering if someone could tell me how difficult it is to get the permit to own these in Ohio.I would really like yo own a dwarf or super dwarf but noticed the species is on Ohios "restricted snakes" list and I'm unsure about the difficulty in acquiring the permit.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:33 PM   #2
JColt
If you stick with super dwarf or under 12 ft dwarf you are fine.

Permits are for 12 ft and longer.
$150 permit yearly fee
$100.000 insurance for 5 or less
register with local sheriff and fire chief
Formal escape plan
must take a class before getting permit

For full details go here https://agri.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov...on-application

Click on Restricted Snake Possession Permit application. It will have details and permit process.

Politicians want reptile and ecig users to fund the state.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:43 PM   #3
Vipercobra69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
If you stick with super dwarf or under 12 ft dwarf you are fine.

Permits are for 12 ft and longer.
$150 permit yearly fee
$100.000 insurance for 5 or less
register with local sheriff and fire chief
Formal escape plan
must take a class before getting permit

For full details go here https://agri.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov...on-application

Click on Restricted Snake Possession Permit application. It will have details and permit process.

Politicians want reptile and ecig users to fund the state.
Are you sure that your ok though with the smaller variants? I know I read something where another state had the same restrictions and when they called them the law was for all morphs of that species regardless of avg adult length.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:46 PM   #4
JColt
It states constricting snakes over 12 feet. Each state has different laws and wording.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:42 PM   #5
Vipercobra69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
It states constricting snakes over 12 feet. Each state has different laws and wording.
Well your not wrong it does word it as such guess haha... guess I should be good to go then

Old 06-21-2019, 09:15 AM   #6
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipercobra69 View Post
Well your not wrong it does word it as such guess haha... guess I should be good to go then
Just make sure you get a high-percentage super dwarf directly from a reputable breeder, as there are a lot of (re)sellers claiming their snakes have SD genetics when they don't.

Also make sure it's super dwarf, not dwarf. My genetic stripe adult female, which was considered a "dwarf" gene, is just over 16 feet.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:58 AM   #7
Vipercobra69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Just make sure you get a high-percentage super dwarf directly from a reputable breeder, as there are a lot of (re)sellers claiming their snakes have SD genetics when they don't.

Also make sure it's super dwarf, not dwarf. My genetic stripe adult female, which was considered a "dwarf" gene, is just over 16 feet.
Ya that's the plan, I dont like purchasing my animals from anybody except well respected breeders... I've always wanted a retic but didnt want an animal that large so super dwarf is what I'm after for sure.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:06 AM   #8
Schlauchs Serpents
The species of large constrictors listed as Restricted in ORC935 only become restricted when they reach 12ft long. Regardless of the snakes genetics it wont be restricted if it's not 12ft. Choosing a higher percentage super dwarf that wont reach 12ft is a simple way to get around the laws all together. However dont let that discourage you! The permit process can be tedious but is fairly simple once you understand what you need to do. You do NOT legally need insurance or any classes/training for large constrictors (L1 Restricted). Those requirements are only for venomous species (L 2,3,4 Restricted). If you need any help with the permit process and understanding the laws let me know and I can gladly help.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!