Muni Water Suppliers, Food Suppliers, Vulnerable to Hackers - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 02-10-2021, 10:40 AM   #1
bcr229
Muni Water Suppliers, Food Suppliers, Vulnerable to Hackers

As keepers of exotic animals, sometimes a great many of them, not having access to clean water can really be a problem because you can't easily pick up and relocate hundreds of reptiles. You should have a plan for an alternate source.

This particular hack occurred in Florida.

https://apnews.com/article/florida-w...c0eb3fb9588466

https://apnews.com/article/water-uti...f5f88a23b840f4

Old 02-10-2021, 04:40 PM   #2
WebSlave
Every computer system on the planet does NOT have to be connected to the world via the internet. At best, perhaps a local network, but the internet can be a pretty wild and dangerous place for control machines of this nature.

Fortunately my water supply is from a well on my own property. But still, a lot of damage can be caused by malicious operators as well as planned targets for hostile nations.

Old 02-10-2021, 06:32 PM   #3
JColt
DNR warns Wisconsin water works to update security after Florida system hack

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/c...0849f668b.html

Old 02-10-2021, 11:59 PM   #4
bcr229
Bean counters hate spending money on IT security because they don't see the need for it until it's too late.

Old 02-11-2021, 12:17 AM   #5
WebSlave
You would think these people would learn from the voting machines that weren't connected to the internet...

Old 06-01-2021, 08:01 PM   #6
bcr229
Largest Beef/Pork/Poultry Producer Hit with Ransomware

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jbs-cyb...er-ransomware/

Glad I put a half beef and half hog in the freezer not too long ago. Meat prices were going higher anyway due to increased food/fuel costs, not being able to process critters for even a week will mean bare shelves and high prices shortly.

If you don't have a generator, get one. I would not be surprised to see an attempt on the power grid in July or August as that would cause the most damage in terms of human deaths and lost/spoiled perishable foods.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:20 PM   #7
V675210
I’m getting tired with fk Russia we should bombard them and show them who’s the boss

Old 06-01-2021, 09:08 PM   #8
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by V675210 View Post
I’m getting tired with fk Russia we should bombard them and show them who’s the boss
I would guess it is more likely some other entity other than Russia involved, trying to make it LOOK like Russia is behind it all.

But in any event, gee, isn't it really cool having EVERYTHING controlled by computers?

Old 06-01-2021, 09:12 PM   #9
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by V675210 View Post
Yeah, um. Well. Sure. OK. Hmm.

The generator suggestion is a good one. We got one a few years ago to be able to deal with extreme weather, but a blizzard or tornado (that's what took us off line for five days and motivated the generator purchase) is nothing compared to a multi-state blackout. Keep lots of fuel on hand, too, since gas pumps run on electricity too.

We have a Honda 3000iS that runs the whole reptile room, 2 bigger fish tanks, the fridge and 2 chest freezers. Highly recommended.

Old 06-02-2021, 09:44 AM   #10
bcr229
Both Russia and China have put a lot of resources into state-grown/trained hackers.

Neither country likes us very much.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!