Seeking Advice. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 02-20-2022, 04:01 PM   #1
Log20
Seeking Advice.

Hi,
I am new to the snake world but not animals I grew up on a farm with cows horses dog etc. I want to expand my journey into snakes as I financially stable and own my own property. I have been doing research but it is much easier to talk to people with experience via reading websites. I am very open to what kind of snake I should look into. The Boas have caught my eye because of the larger size of the overall animal I would like to get a snake between 3-6 feet. Color does not matter. I would like to know the pros and cons vs male & female. Also the temperament of different snakes. (yes, I know it all depends on the upbringing and the owner). but since this a new world for me I figured I would ask. I would prefer non Venomous as I am inexperienced with snakes and I have a XXL American bully dog.
Any replies would be awesome, and appreciated.

Old 02-20-2022, 04:51 PM   #2
Socratic Monologue
In that size range, either a rainbow boa or one of the smaller locales of Boa constrictor might be good options. Rainbow boas under a year old are a bit more challenging to keep healthy, as they need more careful control of moisture and temperature than other species; an older captive bred one will be more tolerant of error, though still not the absolute easiest species to keep -- spending what it takes to get quality housing (PVC cage, quality thermostat, good heat panel; tubs for smaller species work well) helps a lot. In general, plan to get the best purpose designed enclosure/heating you can for the species (no fish tanks or ExoTerras) for best results. Stay away from bioactive, UVB for species that don't need it, and other contemporary bandwagon-jumping movements.

Oh, yeah, recommendations. Ball pythons are in that size range, too. Rosy boas are smaller, three feet or so max. There are many other species in that size range, but sticking close to what you mentioned for now.

My ball python is good natured if boring (boring is kind of nice, sometimes); my rainbows are sweethearts if you respect their space and don't bother them when they're not in the mood (and even then are very hesitant to make their displeasure known) and my rosy boas range from sweet little things to food-driven maniacs.

Generally, female snakes are a bit larger than males but not by too much.

Going to reptile stores and expos can be informative, though leave your money at home on your first handful of visits and double check anything anyone tells you there on a quality forum (you'll get good advice here, and the ball python people have a lot of knowledge about a range of snakes, too).

Once you start asking questions about a certain species, you'll learn more about what you're looking for in a snake ("oh, they sometimes bite? Not for me") and can get more relevant suggestions -- so keep asking.

Old 02-20-2022, 05:02 PM   #3
Log20
reply to socratic monologue

Thank you any advice helps, I just want the best for the animal ( enclosures food supplements) I have always had top of the line big pure bred dogs just have to transition to snakes. Looking for snakes can be quite confusing as far as the pricing world goes I have no Idea where the pricing comes from. any input on that would be awesome. For example I have seen a lot on website there can be a 1 yr old Boa thats 200.00 and then another 1 yr old boa that is 2,500.00. Ovi that is not apples to apples so what makes up the price in a snake? is how big it will get a factor? Bloodline and pedigree? male vs female price point. Color? it seems to me the fairly newborn snakes are quite more inespensive compared to older or adult snakes. Why is that? (in my mind people are impatient and will pay more for the big snake now instead of watching it grow?).

Old 02-20-2022, 05:09 PM   #4
Socratic Monologue
Price is determined by genetics, often ("bloodline and pedigree"). Color variation within a species is determined by those genetics (either distinct genes -- like albino, or selective breeding for polygenetic traits like really nice color saturation). Some of it is simple lineage (who bred them), some is buying from a vendor with too much upcharge (best usually to buy from the breeder, rather than a flipper). Some is weird market fluctuations due to things like Covid, or even time of the year.

Neonates are cheaper mostly because it is expensive to raise them up (50 feeders a year + housing + labor) and some animals with breeding potential are simply worth paying more for if they're close to breeding age.

Old 02-20-2022, 05:19 PM   #5
Log20
do you yourself breed snakes? that is another one of my big worries of dumping a load of cash to the wrong person. and its nice to talk to enthusiast and not always just breeders as the attention to detail is huge with a animal as breeders can sometimes be over whelmed. I really am open to what snake the corn snake and garter, milkshakes don't really seem to interest me at all. I would put it between a Boa & Python. I have heard the pythons can be very temperamental when young and isn't always the best choice. now I'm not sure if this is realistic but I would like to get to a point in me and snakes relationship where I could sit down and he could just wrap around my shoulder or via arm and be able to play and "walk him" and have him relax with me once in a while. ovi not all the time as I will have a big open environment/ enclosure outside of his normal sleeping enclosure where I can play with him as well. I have held snakes to make sure that this is something I can do via before purchasing and I feel more comfortable with the bigger snakes as the smaller one 2 feet minus make me nervous for some reason. with the little info I'm trying to relay could you point me in the website or via items to set this guy or girl up the right way. and with the info what snake would you recommend for my intentions.

Old 02-20-2022, 05:32 PM   #6
Socratic Monologue
Yes, I breed. You can see a user's ads here by: click on their username, click on 'view public profile', then 'statistics', then 'find all classifieds by (username)'.

I don't keep any snakes that fit exactly what you're describing (and I don't do shoulders -- any snake can bite, and a bite to the face wouldn't be worth it to me), though ball pythons come pretty close. Maybe a boa person will chime in on this discussion.

Any snake you get is going to have its own terms, and they're not going to meet you halfway like I suppose dogs and horses often do (I'm a cat person, and even those arrogant critters are more willing to meet you halfway than a snake is). Yeah, there are training sorts of techniques that people engage in, but IMO there are much better interaction pets than reptiles, unless you're willing to take the leap and go into the reptile's world, rather than expecting it to come into ours.

Old 02-20-2022, 05:38 PM   #7
Log20
and thats what I have noticed I completely have to be respectful and follows its rules I have to show respect and vice versa. you can't make it listen like a child or dog and do things on demand or it will turn out very bad. And as far as the shoulder example I was more just trying to describe holding it and petting it. interacting with it. I would much rather prefer a snake I can hold and handle when it wants to be vs just big oranment ( like fish). it sounds like you mostly deal in the python world, What do you use to feed your snakes? I have seen a lot of different opinions on this

Old 02-20-2022, 08:16 PM   #8
Socratic Monologue
No, I only have one ball python. I keep colubrids mostly and a couple boid species (rainbows, rosies). And a handful of other non-snake species.

I feed frozen thawed mice and rats. All snakes that will eat FT should be fed FT.

Old 02-21-2022, 01:51 AM   #9
Log20
could you show me what a good tank set up would be point me in the direction of what is the best products to get it looks like I will need a tank that is 6ft x3x3 if I'm correct for the size. I would like to know what will be best as far as thermostats heating pads light interior

Old 02-21-2022, 08:21 AM   #10
Socratic Monologue
It really depends on the species, and the size of the snake. Like I said, you'll have to hunt up people who keep the species you're interested in. Try that link I dropped in my first reply if no one else jumps in here -- there's a lot of enclosure photos there.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!