2 questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-28-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
KHGeckos
2 questions

i had my male leo mate with 3 of my females. they all layed 2 infertile eggs each. its been well over a month and they arent showing signs of a second clutch. this is the first time breeding for all 3. all over 1 yr old and healthy. is this normal for the first time and should i go ahead and introduce the male again?
my second question is, on of the females had a little trouble laying, actaully big trouble and i thought i was going to lose her. she was gravid for over 2 months and i tried everything to get her to lay. she finally layed 2 shrivled eggs. she weighed 80 grams before breeding and after she layed she dropped to 50. she's getting better now and almost at 60 grams. the question is should i even try to breed her again. i dont want to put her through that again. it was her first clutch and she had really nice genetics that i wish i could produce something from her. you guys let me know. if i shouldn't for her health, then i wont. sry for the long post. thanks

Old 07-28-2006, 08:00 PM   #2
KHGeckos
Anybody?

Old 07-28-2006, 09:15 PM   #3
aliceinwl
Is the male housed with the females? Personally, I keep my breeders together year round. Multiple breedings increases the chance of getting fertile clutches, but it is not unusual for first timers to lay duds. All males are not created equal, if this happens again despite multiple breedings (I'd recommend keeping the male and females together for at least 1-2 weeks, if you're doing introductions), the problem may be your male. Also, watch to make sure that the male is actually breeding with the females.

In terms of your female who had laying trouble, it really is a judgement call on your part. I've had some females that had trouble with their first clutch and experienced no problems in subsequent seasons, I've also lost some to egg binding (these deaths occurred in females that had not even been bred). If you do decide to try again with her, wait until she is back to 100%, make sure she has all the calcium she wants and a good place to lay.

Hope this helps,
Alice

Old 07-30-2006, 09:29 PM   #4
geckogrl6
I agree its fairly common for 1st clutches to be infertile. I would introduce the male to the 2 again, for about a week or so. And hold off on the other girl until she is back to full weight and if it happens again, you may need a vet visit. I had that problem with a female last year, and the vet diagnosed her with a uterine infection.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!