Your thoughts please! How can we improve... - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #21
snowgyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walker View Post
Okay just trying to put some shared suggestions to bullet points. I think we all realize everyone appreciates suggestions even if actually doing something about it might simply not be feasible. So in order of posting, not importance.

1. Auctions: Combining them into the classifieds
2. Splash Page: linking the FC Logo to it & perhaps adding it to the Nav bar or Quick links.
3. Mobile Friendlier: ability to leave Karma comments
4. More Participation in Forums: __________suggestions?
I think that part of the issue at least with #4 is that a lot of newbies have drifted away from interactive forums to social media, especially Facebook. I am a member of many reptile classifieds and groups on Facebook. Some are extremely poorly moderated and have become a real cesspool of overused memes, sarcasm, and just general negativity. I honestly believe we're losing a lot of new people in this hobby to cynical, self-righteous trolls.

Here are a couple of avenues I think we could examine:

1. Actually create a Facebook page for Faunaclassifieds. I know the admins and mods here are probably way too busy to take on additional responsibilities, and having someone actively monitor the page is absolutely essential to keep the trolls at bay. A really great example is The Reptile Report's facebook presence. They have 1-4 posts a day on cool topics that are currently being discussed and/or advertised on their site. I think this would be a great way to reel the Facebook crowd back in to either utilize the site as far as purchasing animals goes, and to encourage more forum participation. To help alleviate workload, what some sites have done is have rotating staff that take care of the posting and basic moderating, while having a global administrator that is notified if anything major needs to be done.

2. Advertise Faunaclassifieds as a newbie-friendly site through various outlets, including Facebook. Faunaclassifieds is still widely accessed for the BOI, but like Robert noted, I do feel we are losing the interaction. Our experienced members are simply not responding very much to questions posed on here, and I'm not sure why. I think part of the reason is that forum questions very quickly get bumped off the limit of "New Posts" by classifieds ads. Perhaps if there was a way to divorce a discussion forum update from a classifieds update, that would help with the issue? I doubt that's possible though from a web design standpoint.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #22
snowgyre
Oh, and as far as the splash page goes, I've been on this site for almost a decade and JUST NOW noticed the "New Posts" button along the top menu bar. Damn, I feel stupid, lol. If anything, this discussion has taught me how poorly I've actually been utilizing Fauna's layout so far, haha.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:52 PM   #23
snowgyre
And for some reason I have no edit button here, huh, weird. Sorry for the multiple posts, I tried to condense only to discover I couldn't!

Another option that is probably one of the easier routes to go is to actually have a Facebook hyperlink available for classifieds and threads posted here. I'm not sure about the back-end programming on this site, but with newer programming (like Drupal and Wordpress) adding a Facebook icon to each thread is as simple as checking a box.

Adding a Facebook icon to each thread would allow individual members to share their classifieds ads more easily on Facebook and draw Facebook customers directly to this site, which would increase traffic. Additionally, it would allow users to share informational and discussion topics on Facebook very easily, without having to copy and paste a link (which is a pain on a tablet for those of us with big fingers).

Old 11-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #24
Dbz4246
What about making apps that are condensed and made only for certain parts of the site? Like for instance:

App one: only has discussion forums, no bells and whistles of the main site, just simple post and reply

App two: only Classifieds, again no extras, just post, browse, and edit.

Both of which could be really simple design thats just for posting and browsing.

Just a suggestion, I know making apps would be expensive but I am willing to donate lol.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:09 AM   #25
Mikkwa
I don't have any suggestions on what to do to make Fauna better that I can think of as yet. I did want to comment on Tapatalk. I personally hate it! I refuse to use it!

When I'm home I use my desktop, but if I'm away from home at work or just out, I have to use my phone for my internet browsing. I tried Tapatalk on one site once and it made me have to jump through hoops, over fences & around corners to post one single comment. No thanks! I like my sites to come up exactly the way they do, look & work as when I am on my home computer. So when I am on a site and it auto gives me the shortened version, I hunt for the 'Full Site' button quickly. I do understand that some have phones with a really small screen and Tapatalk is supposed to make it easier. I'm not trying to knock anyone who uses Tapatalk in any way.

I am a member on quite a few forums of various interests. I also Co-Admin on a parrot forum, plus I do have a Facebook account and a group page I started for my animals. I have to say that almost every forum I belong to or have been on recently has had a greatly reduced interest in posting from its members. Some are downright Ghost Towns in lack of member activity, my forum included. I agree that Facebook seems to be the downfall of forum life. I have heard from a few folks that Facebook is so much easier to post, add photos and get instant likes & posts to their status. Me, I don't like that what I post as far as photos are gone within minutes only to be replaced by the newest drama erupting constantly. It is sad to think that so many of the great forums have become 'The Dinosaur' of the Cyber World.

Sorry about not having any positive suggestions to help Fauna, but I personally like everything about the way it is now. I go to the areas I enjoy the most, browse through some I rarely go to when I feel like it and leave the ones I care nothing about to others. That's what I love about this place, the ease of finding anything I'm interested in quickly and comfortably right from the Home Page. I personally do not like the 'Splash Page' I think it was called and if I bring up the site from my browser links it sends me there every time. So I go to 'New Tab' and use one of my book marked pages from one of the times I was on here previously.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #26
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
The "splash page" -> http://www.faunaclassifieds.com is really considered as the entry point from someone just finding the site for the first time, in my opinion. Once someone gets into the forums main page itself, I believe that they will tend to stay there and really have little reason to go back to the splash page at all. Realistically, the forums main page IS FaunClassifieds.

But maybe I'm wrong. So tell me why anyone would want to go back to the splash page after finding the forum main page. I would have to say that I NEVER go to that page myself unless I specifically want to check the Site Sponsors section, which seems to only work on one browser I use on alternate Tuesdays.
Yep, been here for years and literally never use it.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #27
j_dunlavy
One thing I think would be nice is being able to view pictures that are posted without being logged in.

just thinking from the perspective of an online shopper; if you find the add through a search engine, you cannot view some of the photos without being logged in.
It may cause some potential customers to move along because they are not willing to become a member just to view a photo.
Prior to my joining, I was able to view the photos in the classifieds while shopping; it actually got me hooked and resulted in my joining the site shortly thereafter.

It seems to be related to how the photo is posted (attachment vs in the text?)

just my $0.02

Old 11-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #28
WebSlave
OK, I've been reading over the comments made in this thread, and I thank you all for giving your input. But I guess I need to make a statement or three about what my current opinions are concerning some topics that have been brought up, and my perspective about some things in general.

First off, personally, I can't see much reason to access the internet on some device with a screen no bigger than my palm. Maybe reading emails would be OK, but quite honestly it is counter, in my opinion, to the beneficial direction that the internet has been heading. Quite frankly I would prefer to see the internet reaching it's full potential rather than get throttled back by people who seem content in only having the "reader's digest" version of the internet conveniently at their finger tips while they are driving to and from someplace, or sitting at Starbucks sipping coffee.

Bandwidth to provide web based content is increasing in leaps and bounds which allows a whole new universe of capability for the internet. Video and audio streaming can be embedded to take advantage of new and extremely powerful graphics cards and audio surround systems in PCs. Heck, even just 5 years ago such minor things as animated banner ads were a real struggle for many people to get downloaded to their PCs in a reasonable timeframe. Right now I'm using a 28 inch 4K resolution monitor with a 5.1 speaker system which makes such mundane things as watching YouTube videos an enjoyable experience. How can watching something like that on a handheld device with a 3 inch square screen and a speaker the size of a nickel going to compare? I've seen that you can actually watch full length movies in this manner. Seriously? Someone would actually ENJOY that sort of experience? This is the negative direction that we should be encouraging content providers on the internet to be pursuing? Well, you can do so if you wish, but I don't intend to. And I certainly have no interest in making this site dumbed down and reader digested down with that sort of target in mind. I WANT the internet to be something I can jump into and be INVOLVED in, not something that can fit into my pocket with about as much fun as a handkerchief.

So does that make me a dinosaur? Perhaps, but I'm OK with that. Once I came to the conclusion that it is impossible for me to make this site be what everyone wants, I had to decide to make it what I want and be done with it. Dinosaur or not.

So this is what I want. I want this site to be able to provide decent sized photos that don't have to be shrunken to postage stamp size or scrolled vertically and horizontally in order to be viewed. I want people to be able to link in YouTube videos that can deliver the impact that can only be realized when seen in 1920x1080 or higher resolution with full audio. I want to be able to constantly upgrade what members can be offered because bandwidth has increased to where more capable advertising options become realistic. I want members to be ABLE to utilize fully the technology pumped to their PCs that the internet is capable of providing. I do NOT want to install programmed limitations to try to squeeze, distort, and compress everything such that a viewer can comfortably read all this site has to offer on something that fits in a pocket.

BTW, I was literally begged to offer Tap-a-talk here and on my CornSnakes.com site, so as soon as my programmer told me that it was safe (security wise) then I did so. Apparently half of the people love it and the other half either don't use it or outright hate it. Par for the course, apparently. I expect the same statistics to apply concerning my stance indicated above (and below) concerning my desires for this site in relation to the viewing public. That's just the way it goes, and I've learned to live with it.

Now, concerning FaceBook. Honestly I set up one or two accounts there a long while back, but I believe it was during the days when you either couldn't have some sort of commercial account, or else the hoops needed to be jumped through were either to obtuse or too idiotic for me to want to play that game. So I declined to participate. I still get "friend requests" from Facebook from those accounts, but I have never gone back to see who was knocking on the door. Oh yeah, back then I did try that "friend" stuff, but with no exceptions, each and every one of those contacts eventually became an email spam source. It appeared that Facebook was easily hackable, so screw that. Obviously nothing I wanted to be further involved with.

Anyway, the only contact I have had recently with Facebook has been when I have been tracking down groups or persons infringing on my trademark. I'll be perfectly honest, the layout just makes my skin crawl. But I guess it's in keeping with the "me" generation and that is attractive to a lot of people. Who would have guessed that so many people would want to have a "COME LOOK AT ME" page on the internet? All with the capability of calling complete strangers "friends" and send them notices whenever you update your page with the exciting details of what you had for breakfast or that incredible dump your dog just made when you took him for a walk. Seriously?

And yes I understand that Facebook makes it EASY for people to create such pages and groups, which is leaps and bounds over what it used to take to learn how to set up a webpage on a leased server or domain hosting. But does "easier" really mean "better" for the majority of people? I guess that will constantly be subject to debate, depending on your own particular perspective.

Yeah, perhaps this is the future of the internet and everything else will fall into obsolescence. Has Facebook become the Borg of the internet? A "you WILL be assimilated!" sort of thing? So far I haven't seen any overriding reason NOT to resist. Yeah, I suppose that I could set up something there to try to act as a funnel to newbies who have no other exposure to the internet outside of Facebook, but to be perfectly honest, I am retired. Or maybe really semi-retired. Yeah, I still run this site and put more time into it than any sane retired person ought to, but I'm really not looking for MORE work at all. I don't mind putting time, effort, and expense into maintaining this site and looking around for various bells and whistles to add in here when I can. But otherwise, no, I'm not interested in really working hard at this stuff any longer. I'm not interested in trying to market the site via a lot of effort putting in links and teasers in a Facebook page. Quite frankly, I'm just not interested in trying to make this site be any more than just "satisfactory" in as many categories as possible. I have no urge to be a billionaire. I could not care less to ever reach the category of "the best" website in any category on the net. I'm OK with just being OK.

Honestly, this site was not even conceived with the intent of making money. Oh, it has happened that way, and I'm grateful for that, but seriously, it makes a modest income for me right now only as a stopgap between losing income from my SerpenCo business and the date when I want to start collecting social security payments. Which will be somewhere between 2 (age 66) and 6 (age 70) years from now. Presuming I live that long, of course. If I live longer and this site survives longer giving me some income for the duration, then that is fine, but I'm not COUNTING on it. If not, then that is fine too. It has helped me get by, and that is enough for me.

I've done what I could with this site, and in particular the Board Of Inquiry has, in my opinion, made a beneficial difference. At the very least, it has shown enough people that it is FEASIBLE enough to want to be copied. So the concept will survive even if this site does not. If the future proves that it is not enough for people to want to support and the tide of something new and better takes everyone elsewhere, then so be it. I've done my part, I think.

Anyway, in a nutshell after all that crap I typed in above, I don't mind considering minor changes here and there, but anything that would require an extensive overhaul of the site, or a lot of work, effort, headaches, and expense on my part, just is not going to happen. Seriously, I've got other things I would much rather do while I am still alive and able to enjoy retirement. Matter of fact, I think I'm going to go do something of that nature right now...

Old 11-11-2014, 01:24 PM   #29
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_dunlavy View Post
One thing I think would be nice is being able to view pictures that are posted without being logged in.

just thinking from the perspective of an online shopper; if you find the add through a search engine, you cannot view some of the photos without being logged in.
It may cause some potential customers to move along because they are not willing to become a member just to view a photo.
Prior to my joining, I was able to view the photos in the classifieds while shopping; it actually got me hooked and resulted in my joining the site shortly thereafter.

It seems to be related to how the photo is posted (attachment vs in the text?)

just my $0.02
This is not by accident that such viewing is disabled. This site is visited by an incredible number of search engine spiders. If viewing of attachments by guests were enabled, each of those spiders would be downloading and viewing those images as well, which would cause an increase in loading on the server. Which could impact YOU by slowing down the overall throughput that the server is able to provide. This just seemed like a sound decision to make in order to make things better overall for registered and logged in members.

Besides, in my opinion, I want to encourage viewers to register and participate. People who are not registered and/or not logged in are NOT going to participate here while they are viewing. If they have to register and log in, then at least if they get the urge to participate while reading something of interest at that moment, they WILL without having to go through the registration and logging in process first.

Heck, I have been to more than a couple of sites that won't allow you to view anything unless you are registered and logged in. So I think this is a fair compromise.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:41 PM   #30
j_dunlavy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
This is not by accident that such viewing is disabled. This site is visited by an incredible number of search engine spiders. If viewing of attachments by guests were enabled, each of those spiders would be downloading and viewing those images as well, which would cause an increase in loading on the server. Which could impact YOU by slowing down the overall throughput that the server is able to provide. This just seemed like a sound decision to make in order to make things better overall for registered and logged in members.

Besides, in my opinion, I want to encourage viewers to register and participate. People who are not registered and/or not logged in are NOT going to participate here while they are viewing. If they have to register and log in, then at least if they get the urge to participate while reading something of interest at that moment, they WILL without having to go through the registration and logging in process first.

Heck, I have been to more than a couple of sites that won't allow you to view anything unless you are registered and logged in. So I think this is a fair compromise.
that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!