For Sale Mountain Tortoises - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Other For Sale/Wanteds Classifieds > Turtles/Tortoises

Notices

Old 08-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #1
BambooTortoise
Mountain Tortoises

Mountain Tortoises are simply amazing and we believe they're the best type of large tortoise for many people based on:
  1. Big Personalities
  2. At 24in long; fun but not too big to pick up
  3. Comfortable outside year round in Southern US (Climate Data)
  4. Health hardy; Eat everything
  5. Won't dig like Sulcata
  6. Nest above ground like alligators; finding eggs is easy
  7. Species worthy of your time and resources to conserve
2022 Mountain Tortoises looking for new homes!

Hatched and raised outside in Texas:

Northern Black Mountain Tortoises (Manouria emys phayrei)

If interested, send a quick email!

MountainTortoises@gmail.com

All tortoises under 4 inches in length are for education, research, exhibition or zoological purposes only; not sold as pets.

Learn about Mountain Tortoises at:
www.MountainTortoise.com
Attached Images

Contact User Check User
Old 08-22-2020, 01:32 PM   #2
Duramaxdually
You guys have the best website on emys care!

Old 08-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #3
BambooTortoise
MountainTortoise.com

MountainTortoise.com has been a fun project this year. All technical credit goes to my teenage son and tortoise content came from lots of sources including a couple dozen private and institution friends who directly work with them and were kind enough to share their experiences and hundreds of pictures contained in the slideshows.

We're looking forward to adding even more content as time goes on.

Appreciate the compliment and glad you found it useful.

Thank you,

John Bailey
  Contact User Check User
Old 08-27-2020, 03:17 PM   #4
gummybearpoop
Awesome website and information! Great work! I find them interesting but I don’t have the time to dedicate to them in our hot, dry climate in Arizona.

How come there isn’t any information on impressa? The missing piece of the Manouria trifecta

Old 08-28-2020, 08:47 AM   #5
BambooTortoise
Impressa

Completely agree, I'd love to add Manouria Impressa to mountaintortoise.com; takes time to gather good content and need to make sure it's accurate.

They're an order of magnitude harder to work with than the other Mountain tortoises and pretty rare in the US. I know the TSA, some zoos, and a few friends work with them but haven't aggressively pursued web content yet.

If anyone with Manouria Impressa experience sees this post and would like to provide input/pictures for adding impressa to mountaintortoise.com, please drop me a note at mountaintortoises@gmail.com
Thank you,
John
  Contact User Check User
Old 08-28-2020, 10:30 AM   #6
gummybearpoop
Manouria are fascinating and it is really important that more people work with them. Impressa seem even more unique and delicate. I love that you are honest in saying it takes time to gather good content and making sure it is accurate. Thank you for your hard work John and keep it up!

Old 09-23-2020, 08:37 AM   #7
Mighty J
Much prefer Southerns (emys emys). IMHO, much cooler looking with that flatter and more reverted and serrated carapace.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:01 PM   #8
BambooTortoise
Mountain Tortoise Variation

I currently have a lot of Southerns (emys emys) that are defiantly nice.

Southerns emys emys are a bit smaller and sometimes keep lighter colors into adulthood. To touch on the color variation a bit; The three phayrei I'm holding in the first pics above show color variation in animals currently available. I need to take similar pics of the Southerns to show their color variation.

If you watch the TSA Bangladesh slideshow in the Conservation section of our website you'll see some nice color variation for that region.

There is also a nice TSA presentation given last month about Mountain Tortoise conservation in Bangladesh. Starts at 15min in on this video here.
  Contact User Check User
Old 09-24-2020, 09:29 PM   #9
Tropidolaemus
I am interested in acquiring some Northerns if you have them available. I am in the San Antonio area and could pick them up if they are available. Please let me know.

Old 09-24-2020, 09:38 PM   #10
BambooTortoise
I have a nice selection of surplus Northern Mountain Tortoises.

Just shoot me an email directly at mountaintortoises@gmail.com
Happy to give you a call if you provide a number.

Thank you,
John
  Contact User Check User

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!