Temp sex - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-07-2005, 05:29 PM   #1
Vince
Temp sex

At what stage of development does the temp affect the sex of an animal? Is it the same on most reptiles?

Old 04-07-2005, 05:43 PM   #2
WiteLeo
Can't be the same on most reptikles, becuase most reptiles have diff. egg periods. But in Leo's, its about on the 2 week mark.

That is when you would change them temps to 89 in the incubator to do the "Tremper Incubating Method". Wouldn't recommend it... many people have had very little hatch rate....other have not.

Old 04-07-2005, 05:44 PM   #3
WiteLeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiteLeo
Can't be the same on most reptikles, becuase most reptiles have diff. egg periods. But in Leo's, its about on the 2 week mark.

That is when you would change them temps to 89 in the incubator to do the "Tremper Incubating Method". Wouldn't recommend it... many people have had very little hatch rate....other have not.
What I ment to say was, at week 2, there sex is set on eather male of female.

Old 04-07-2005, 05:52 PM   #4
VipVenom
I have heard that it is the first 2 weeks but I have never tested that out.

Old 04-07-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
Vince
why would you change the temp up to 89 after two weeks? to make your females hatch quicker, or does it have to do with color

Old 04-07-2005, 07:12 PM   #6
peachstategeckos
Yea, it has to do with color. The colors are brighter, IMO it's practically "fake" color. It probably does reduce the incubation time by a tiny bit though..anyone else have any thoughts about that?

Old 04-07-2005, 07:19 PM   #7
dragonflyreptiles
I heard it was 14 days 20 to be super safe (well read it on trepmers site)

Here is the info on the Tremper Color incubation temps but I decided not to try it since some people were having lowered hatch rates.

http://leopardgecko.com/color.html
http://leopardgecko.com/colorfaq.html

Old 04-07-2005, 07:24 PM   #8
Gregg M
Katie, I am with you on this.... There are a couple of problems that can stem from this method..... Egg death, deformed hatchlings, "hot females", just to name a few..... It is almost falsely representing the animal also, if you do not let the buyer know it was incubated that way..... To me it is not worth the risk.... The color difference is not big by any stretch and how much quicker can you hatch eggs that way???? Maybe 5 to 10 days, if that.....

It is not worth the risk because the outcome in color is almost no different from eggs hatched out at stable temps.... And more importantly, it can pose health risks to the hatchlings if they even do hatch.....

Old 04-07-2005, 08:02 PM   #9
Vince
is this how some super hypo tangs are made?

Old 04-07-2005, 09:00 PM   #10
Xavier
Albinos mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
is this how some super hypo tangs are made?
I'm sure some do it to other morphs but the practice in general doesn't seem common to me. Although you never know.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!