My Corn Snake Jakers inactivity? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 05-20-2006, 08:01 PM   #1
Leighanne
My Corn Snake Jakers inactivity?

Ok their is a lot that goes into this. I have had Jakers since March 13, 2006. I have never had any problems with him, yet. He looks real good, defecates fine, eats fine. I bought him from Pet Connections. Not a big chain store. I bought him with a dent. They said they had an accident with him where he got squished under a lid. The only problem I see with that is that he twists it kinda funny to get around in that area. The area above it, and under it moves just fine, although he is the clumbsiest Snake I have ever seen. He is a Baby though, he is about 14 to 15 inches, he was about 13 inches when bought. I have been keeping feeding records since I bought him if you want them, but I don't think they would tell a lot about his inactivity. His last shed was April 16, Easter. So he shed on Sunday, and I feed him on Monday, after 11 p.m. This is the time I always feed him. He ate fine the very next day. I use a substrate I bought from the place I bought him from called Jungle Mix. I don't really know what its made of, it doesn't have an Ingredients label, but its worked well with him. No ingestion of it, and he LOVES to burrow in it. The next time I have to clean his tank hes getting Aspen. I know its great for Corn Snakes, but I don't like the fact he won't be able to borrow in it. Its one of his favorite activities! When I bought him I kept him in a Critter Keeper with a water dish and a Coconut shell. I have some pictures in the back pages of the Corn Snake Forum. I don't have any more because I don't have a camera. I am sorry they are crappy. His favorite place is the water dish, well under it. It is plastic, and hollow underneath so he always burrows under it. I am not so sure the Critter Keeper was bad, they say Baby Snakes like smaller places. About the first month I've had him he was VERY active, and playful. The Critter Keeper was small enough for him to climb on the coconut shell or stretch out and reach the top. Thats all he did all night long was inspect the top. Maybe it gave him hope to get out, or he liked exploring? In reality he couldn't though. The Keeper is plastic, and the lid snapped shut perfectly! The new tank hes in is glass, its a ten gallon. The lid on it fits good, but doesn't snap shut. I have a couple heavy books on it for now until I can get some clamps. He isn't tall enough to reach the top, I have watched him try several times, but the books are there just incase, until I can get some clamps. My feeding records I think are pretty good, but I don't have anything to weigh him, and I didn't write down the exact date I upgraded him. I estimate hes been in the ten gallon for two to three weeks now. He was active and explored at first, but for the past two weeks hes been less and less active. The ONLY place I can ever find him day or night is under his water bowl. He has also been more finicky or I guess scared recently like within the last week. Just having a hall lite glaring in the room makes him go and hide! He never used to be like this. Just a couple of nights ago I turned on the hall light so I could see in my bedroom. (He is on a glass stand I have in my bedroom.) Well he was coming out and then ran back for the water bowl. Hes been really privacy bound to. Before I could go in and see him in his coconut shell and he didn't care. Now he hides in the water bowl. You can't see him when hes there. He has same substrate, same coconut shell, and a log in his ten gallon, everything's pretty much the same. I moved his hides so I couldn't see him, and visversa and he still hides there.I understand the hiding, but not coming out at all at night for many nights in a row worries me. Granted I do go to sleep, but I usually go to sleep around 2 or 3 in the morning, and I have stayed up till 4 a.m. in this last week, and haven't seen him move. I don't have any completely dark rooms in the house, but we don't use lights in the day time, and we leave the t.v. on at night in the bedroom so we can see. I don't know if they can see this light, because some lights they can't see and some they can. Jakers never used to be bothered by t.v. light before. It gives off a silver glow like the moon. None of my other reptiles are bothered by it. We started using the t.v. so we could see and so we didn't have to flicker the light all the time. Last time he shed he wasn't hidy. MAYBE he is being hidy for this shed though, I have no clue. They like to climb so I am getting him a branch today. In Ohio today is Saturday. I have today off, and Monday, and Tuesday. Today is his first day of being Opaque. He is starting his second shed!! Last time this lasted two to three days, and then the very next day I held him, and he started to shed in my hands. It didn't take him very long! I don't think I am going to put his branch in there with him being opaque, and I am worried about him being clumbsy, but I guess if I put it in and watched him I could better explain his mobility to the Vet whenever I can finally get the chance to take him. He IS a climbing I hope he wouldn't have any problems? When he was in his Keeper and stretched to the top he would fall over often! Sometimes he would slowly bring himself down, and a lot of times he would just go boom, and fall over. I hope if I get this branch in here he becomes more active like he used to be?! Seeing as how its Saturday now, and hes just turned opaque, and I feed him every Monday. If he doesn't shed by Monday nite I am thinking I should probably wait until he does to feed him? What do you think? I don't want to waste a pinky. Is feeding him once a week ok, some weeks he gets two. His tail and body ratio looks good, not skinny and not fat. I am hoping I get the chance to bath him before he sheds, and after his eyes turn normal again. He shed quickly last time, but I was able to fit it in. I would rather prevent a bad shed, then have to deal with any shedding problems. I would FREAK if an eye cap didn't come off. I was thinking about doing it now, but I don't want to scare the poor guy. Are they totally blind when their opaque?? I wouldn't bath him in this phase, but he is very kool about letting me hold him for short intervals in this phase. I only hold him once a day for 5 minutes at the most at this time to check on him, and see how hes doing. Every time I hold I don't know he is opaque until I pick him up and see his eyes, but he never been finicky or defensive during these times. I have a great Snake! Thats all I can say! I would love to hear, well see any suggestions from you guys. Anybody who's had an inactive Snake, and got them running around again, or anybody who has or has had a Baby Snake. How clumbsy are you guys Babies??? Thank You SO much for any thoughts or suggestions!!

Old 05-20-2006, 08:04 PM   #2
Leighanne
Oops!

Sorry I didn't make paragraphs for that! My Fiancee always tells me to do that yet I still forget. I would fix it but I can't edit. I am sorry if its hard on the eyes!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!