Wanted Antibiotics/ Advice - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Other For Sale/Wanteds Classifieds > All Other Herp Related Material

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 11:23 PM   #11
Docglock
i guess it would depend on the causative organism of the stomatitis. quinolones should cover gram negative bacteria well. but if you've got lower respiratory tract issues from pseudomonas and providencia, and a totally diff organism causing stomatitis, you've got a lot of plates to keep spinning.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:23 PM   #12
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatureFreak View Post
My animals were all kept in sanitary conditions, proper heat, hide, humidity, eating well; the only problem was I bought from someone untrusted and four out of my collection (housed near snake A) contracted mites from this snake(the one who died). These then transferred the infection from the sick snake.
Actually you have two problems. The first is that you bought the sick snake from an untrusted source, the second - and it's a much bigger one - is that you didn't quarantine the new arrival from your main collection. If you had correct quarantine procedures in place, the mites from the sick new snake would never have have come into contact with your other snakes.

Ask your vet if he would forego doing the x-rays and prescribe you the antibiotics with just exams and one office visit charge, based on the history of how the three snakes contracted the RI. That should save a good bit of cash and get your critters the meds they need.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:29 PM   #13
Docglock
three problems.....you keep trying to circumvent proper prescribing methods for USP compounds...that may not seem like a big deal to you, but to those of us trying to protect a medical license from state medical boards, it's a huge deal.

bcr229 has a good option...you know what the culture report is.....take that in to the vet w you. see what they will work out for you.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:21 PM   #14
CreatureFreak
I know what my mistakes were. Clearly the first snake should have been isolated even though initially no mites or illness were visible. I wasn't careful enough and now am paying the price.
I understand the laws, but it doesn't mean I'm not going to try and get medication for my snakes even though I can't afford two thousand dollars worth of veterinary exams. I have already spent several hundred, we all know the cost of health care, human or animal. My vet and several others I have talked to are still not willing to work with me unless I pay them pull price for each individual snake. They know the situation and the results of the cultures they ordered, but as you suggest I can keep persisting and see if they will offer any discounts like that, but I doubt it.
  Contact User Check User
Old 04-14-2015, 10:44 AM   #15
bcr229
It sounds like you're paying insane big city prices for vet care. Have you tried asking on any of your state's reptile-based Facebook forums to get a referral to an exotic vet outside of Chicago? Even if you have to drive a bit, it would be better than spending $600-700 per critter for RI treatment.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:51 PM   #16
snakesareawesome
I can verify that in cities vet fees are often much higher. I had a surgery done once, city vet quote was 1800, country doctor did it for 300$. Everything turned out fine and turned out he was able to get a lot of extra lab work done for me for free as part of a study of someone he knew that wasn't even included in the city doc quote. Drive an hour outside chicago and you're in the boon docks.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:07 PM   #17
hhmoore
Is this an advertisement or a discussion? It certainly looks like a discussion; but that wouldn't happen in a classified ad, right?
What say you, CreatureFreak?

Old 04-15-2015, 05:45 PM   #18
OrangeTyrant
You can try finding a different reptile vet near you here: http://arav.allenpress.com/arav/findavet

Old 04-15-2015, 06:10 PM   #19
hhmoore
Since the discussion comments are continuing, I'm just going to lock this until I hear from the OP.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread

Tags
illness, snake