But HOW do I sell my animals? (Not a sale ad) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 08-08-2005, 01:23 PM   #1
davejensen
But HOW do I sell my animals? (Not a sale ad)

I don't want to confuse the moderators and make them think that I am trying to sneak a sale ad in under another heading, so I won't list my four animals.

I am wondering what I should do. We are moving from AZ and I need to sell four of our pets, the most wonderful pets my family has ever had. They are adults and sit out in our backyard, enjoying the sun. But they won't be happy where we are going.

First off, how does one determine what to ask? Also, although I'd drive them anywhere in AZ, how about shipping? Is there truly a safe way to ship these guys to some distant locale? What are the best places to advertise them?

Thanks much, Dave

Old 08-08-2005, 01:57 PM   #2
Karen Hulvey
If you want to sell locally, I'd pop an ad in every newspaper around.
When trying to figure out price, I'd start with what you paid for them.
The next thing I would do is look at ads on this site and others for the same type of animal(s) and see what the "going" price on the net is.
If you're trying to sell them quick, the only way to do that is sell them below market value.
As for shipping, you have to be certified to ship and that takes a little bit of time. If you have the time to get certified to ship, then I would list them for sale on every herp site you can find.

Good luck.

Old 08-08-2005, 01:59 PM   #3
Junkyard
Dave, this is a long shot as you are moving but it is a try. www.backpage.com and www.craigslist.com They have free advertising for local areas for pets/supplies any animal can be advertised there. Try a classified ad section osf a newspaper. Take all the options you can think of and give it a try. Good Luck

Old 08-08-2005, 02:20 PM   #4
davejensen
Thanks guys . . . Add'l question

I see that some "for sale" tort ads show a number, like "1.0 Leopard Tortoise." What does this mean? Is that a one-foot long leopard, based on carapace length? If so, I have 2.5 sulcata's, and 1.3 leopards!

Very confusing . . .

Dave

Old 08-08-2005, 02:34 PM   #5
Karen Hulvey
The numbers mean the sex of the animal. The first number means male, second number means female and third number (if there is one) means sex unknown.

Say you have 3 male tortoises. It would be written: 3.0

Now you have 5 animals.
3 males, 1 female and 1 you don't know the sex of: 3.1.1

Clear as mud, huh?

Old 08-08-2005, 02:46 PM   #6
Karen Hulvey
Here are a few herp societies in Arizona. The two underlined ones are links and you can click on them to go directly to the websites.

Arizona Herptelogical Association

Tucson Herp Society

Southern Arizona Herp Society
Tom Boyden
4521 W. Mars St
Tucson AZ 85703

National Turtle & Tortoise Society
POB 66935
Phoenix 85082-6935
(602) ASK-NTTS

Old 08-10-2005, 02:42 PM   #7
zebeck
hi karen

Karen,
Sad to hear you are moving. I never got out your way. But send me an email and maybe we can discuss your situation.
I think i should be able to place most of your turtles friends with good long time keepers. I can suggest prices too.

As i recall you ave at least one AZ native (the Sonorna mud turtle) You cannot of course legally sell him to anyone.

-rob.zebeck@gmail.com

-rob

Old 08-10-2005, 02:43 PM   #8
zebeck
me rob, me idiot

LOL.
Okay so i can''t read. Sorry dave, I thought karen was the original poster.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!