Gargoyle Gecko Diet - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-15-2004, 08:31 AM   #21
Monte
From what I recall . . .

. . . . it's not the fruit, but all the other stuff, the filler, sugar and things like that which dillute it.

Just reporting what I found out. Because I asked Allen himself.

And as far as having everything - a firmly doubt that Allen would produce something unhealthy - he has a lot to lose if he does. But of course, that is a value judgement on my part. You will have to come to your own conclusions.

Old 10-15-2004, 10:52 AM   #22
Mark and Aimee
Quote:
a firmly doubt that Allen would produce something unhealthy
I never said anything about the diet being "unhealthy". I DO wonder if it could be better, though. There's always room for improvement. There has been no long term study done on this diet - it has been on the market for a very short time.

Old 10-15-2004, 02:47 PM   #23
vermithrax
I wouldnt think mixing it with baby food dilutes it anymore then mixing it with water...somehow one diluting it more then the other doesnt make any sense to m e.

Old 10-21-2004, 02:51 AM   #24
Eric Klees
Well I can atest that Allen is always improving the diet. I know because I get the bulk containers directly from Allen and the diet has changed atleast twice since April of '03.

I tried the retail bottle first since he gave me a couple and it was a green tint. Then when I got the bulk directly from him the diet was more tan in color once mixed. So I called him to see what the deal was and that I got the right stuff (container wasnt mis-marked) and he told me he changed to Whey protien since it was easier to digest then the previous protiens. He told me hes always looking to see how he can improve the diet. He switched it from calcium carbonate to calcium casinate since it was more usable. Then this past july I got another 10# of the diet and it is liter (fine) powder and seems to have alot more kelp and spiralina alge in it cause it is very green when left sitting, the kelp and alge seems to seperate alittle.

The difference is that T-rex cant make the changes like this because it gets mass produced for the retail side of it. T-Rex bought it one way and they probably just cant up and change it.

As far as if it has everything they need. I cant say for sure, but my animals are nice and robust with no deficientcies and all my females produce ATLEAST 12 very well calcified eggs and never get skinny on the diet even during egg laying season. I have been on the GGD since april '03 strickly and my animals are perfectly healthy. So to me, it seems to be everyting they need.

The thing about the diluting of the diet, I think he means the babyfood is already thick so mixing in just alittle of the diet probably thickens it quickly but with water, you mix in much more of the diet to make the same consistency, hence you are using more of the diet with water then with babyfood.

Eric
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2004, 02:58 AM   #25
Eric Klees
That Creamsicle female is getting fat on the GGD. I just notcied about a week ago. I feed all my cresteds the GGD as stated earlier in this thread. I just adjusted her to every other day of feeding till im ready to put the male in with her. Right now she is a robust 68 grams at 13.5 months of age!

I am waiting till mid november. I am waiting because I will have a total of 14 females ready by then and wanted to put males wi all at the same time to syncronize the egg laying hopefully.

Eric

Old 10-21-2004, 09:12 AM   #26
vermithrax
Mu geckos are deffiantly plumping up on the GGD. Last night the male did his little mating chrip while looking directly at the female...she looks disturbed and went and hid lol. Im thinking about adding another female in so he doesnt stress her out.

Old 10-28-2004, 07:12 PM   #27
KelliH
This is a great thread, I can't believe I missed it before.

Quote:
The thing about the diluting of the diet, I think he means the babyfood is already thick so mixing in just alittle of the diet probably thickens it quickly but with water, you mix in much more of the diet to make the same consistency, hence you are using more of the diet with water then with babyfood.
When I mix up my "concoction" (food) for my Rhacodactylus, I mix the Leachianus diet into the baby food, then add some water. This works to lessen the consistency, therefore enabling one to use more of the powdered diet.

I like the Sandfire Rhac diets and think they are very good (otherwise I wouldn't use them) but I do not see how mixing with baby food would make them less effective. A long time ago I kept and bred cresteds (in the late 90's) and I fed crickets and baby food. I had no problems back then. So I think it is mostly a matter of personal prefernce of course. I still feel that a variable diet is best, but they certainly will eat and grow on a babyfood/Sandfire diet mix, or on a Sandfire diet only diet.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:47 PM   #28
Eric Klees
I hear ya Kelli but the more you add to the same volume of food the less of 1 of the ingredients there will be. Think of it as a pie chart. Now youve added a 3rd ingredient to the mix Diet/Babyfood/Water. But you still have the babyfood in there displacing some of the T-rex diet.

I make no bones about it, I love thE T-Rex diets. I have my stuff on it exclusively for over a year now and get MUCH better results on it then I ever did with Crix/babyfood/calc/vitamins. As you readearlier im sure I feed the GGD to my Cresteds though. My animals breed easily at 11-12 months of age and did the math wrong once and had a female breed at 10 months of age and laid 12 eggs for the season with 100% hatch. I will probably never switch off the diets with the results ive had.

Eric

Old 10-29-2004, 01:14 AM   #29
KelliH
Hey Erik-

Like I said, it's pretty much a personal preference. I personally feel that a varied diet is best, and trust me, I have had just as good of results as you have and I give a variety. Maybe I am just a bit old school or something, I dunno :-)

Old 10-29-2004, 01:23 AM   #30
Eric Klees
Hey, I'm not saying one way is better then the other as far as varied or not. I was only saying how mixing in teh babyfood decreases the amount of diet consumed.

The other thing.... have you looked at babyfood? its less then 1 gram of protien, its nothing but sugar. There is no nutrition in it at all.

Thats why I went away from it.

Eric

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!