best place for glass or plexi glass for sliding doors - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 04-05-2004, 03:30 PM   #1
beakgeek
best place for glass or plexi glass for sliding doors

I am building the first of a set of modular enclosures for my leopard geckos. Each module has three enclosures and will be stackable. I am using 3/4 melamine as the building material. I'd like to have two piece sliding glass or plexiglass on the front of each enclosure, but I am not sure where the best place to purchase it is.

Here are the measurements:

Thanks in advance!

Terry

Old 04-05-2004, 03:39 PM   #2
Mark and Aimee
3/4" melamine is probably overkill for Leopard Geckos. But, it will be sturdy!

Get your glass or plexi from your local glass shop. If they sell plate glass for windows, they will be able to cut glass to size for you.

Make sure your two pieces of glass have about 1" of overlap for the middle... Some people end up doing 2" or more of overlap, and it just looks terrible. You want enough overlap to fit a showcase lock on the doors, but that's about it.

Do you have channels for the glass yet? http://www.doitbest.com sells 4' and 6' lengths of plastic glass channels for very cheap...

Old 04-05-2004, 03:49 PM   #3
beakgeek
Thanks for the doitbest link. There is one a block from the house that is right on my way home.

Regards,

Terry

Old 04-12-2004, 07:30 PM   #4
hill4803
Question One like this?

This is what I put together last week. I also used 3/4" melamine & YES it is very sturdy! The dims: Total 4'(h)x3'(w)x16"(d)...each unit is about 9"(h)x3'(w)x16"(d). I also used 10 watt halogen lights in each unit forheat. I ended up with a really good temp gradient without adding any additional heat source. My herp room does stay at 74-76 degrees f at all times though.

Old 04-12-2004, 07:32 PM   #5
hill4803
Crap I hope the picture loaded this time, if not let me know & I will email it to you.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2004, 03:25 PM   #6
beakgeek
Do you have any images that show the halogen lights?

Thanks!

Terry

Old 04-13-2004, 06:34 PM   #7
hill4803
Lights..

The lights come in a kit. You can get the 10 watt in 3 or 5 pack. The 5 pack I bought for about $31 at Lowe's. You might be able to get them cheaper at Wal mart? They also have nice 25 watt halogens, they put off a load of heat. I use 2 in a 6'x2'x2' boa cage and it holds almost 90 under the light!
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2004, 06:36 PM   #8
hill4803
Am I talking...

to you on KS forums also? Leopard gecko forum? Let me know if you need pics of anything specific. I also have this cage on casters. I like to be able to move my stuff easily.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!