How to install a heat lamp? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
bliss
How to install a heat lamp?

Ok guys... I went to lowe's, and their "experts" told me that I couldn't install a lamp without having some sort of huge box (transformer?) on the outside, and even went as far as to tell me my idea was useless and wasn't making any sense, especially in terms of "electrical hazards".

So i'm coming here to people who know what they are talking about.

Here's the deal.

Questions:
How do I install this, so that it will be right and safe from electrical hazards? Do I really have to have a huge "box" on the back of the cage? If I do have to have a box, would I just be better off buying a different type of fixture, and if so, what do you recommend?

Picture 1 and 2 - Here's where I'll be installing the light.
Picture 3 and 4 - here's the type of fixture, can handle 150watts.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
crazycoolpaul
Spot lighting

Hey Daniel
I'm attaching 2 different pictures on installing those spots, 1 is the right way 2 is the wrong way(if you wanna get technical) these are both in my cages. The first picture is with a UL listed 1/2 plastic blue box (I painted it white) with the correct mounting plate screwed to the top of the cage. 2nd pictures is just the mounting plate itself (no box) screwed to the cage with the connection w/ wire nuts behind the mounting plate

Old 03-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
funguy@heart
Don't really understand the question. I'm an Electrician that builds acrylic cages on the side. Feel free to pm me and I can help you out.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
bliss
Quote:
Originally Posted by funguy@heart View Post
Don't really understand the question. I'm an Electrician that builds acrylic cages on the side. Feel free to pm me and I can help you out.
Ok, well above is the picture of the light fixture i would like to install.

Basically, what I'm asking is: How can I install this in a safe, hazard-free way without the use of some sort of huge box on the outside of the cage?

(Lowe's hardware is the one that told me I'd need one of the boxes, but I honestly think they were just trying to sell me some crap I didn't need, because that's their job)

@crazycoolpaul

thanks! i'll have to go and look for one of those.

-Dan

Old 03-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
bliss
Hey Paul,

where can i find one of these "UL listed 1/2 plastic blue box" and a mounting plate? Think Lowe's would have 'em?

Old 03-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #6
crazycoolpaul
Well i use home depot not sure how close you are to one. But there in the electrical isle, There not a nail on box or an old work box per say, the mounting plates i use are much shallow then the fixture you have because my cages are only 18 inches tall. there just outdoor flood rectangle mounting plates

Old 03-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
bliss
nearest home depot is 45 mins away, and lowe's is only 10 mins away lol.

well, I guess i'll just get a different fixture then. The one i have has a circular base and i'm pretty sure it would be easier to find something like you have.

My cage is only 17" tall, I plan on using a lower wattage bulb.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
crazycoolpaul
Yeah i use 45 watt bulbs in my adult cages, and in my new reptile condos I'm building I'm only using 15-20 watt

Old 03-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
bliss
Ok paul, while were on the topic of lighting, I have to ask: how far away from the bottom of the cage does the bulb have to be in order to achieve the basking temp of 100F-105F?

Old 03-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #10
bliss
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful88 View Post
Ok paul, while were on the topic of lighting, I have to ask: how far away from the bottom of the cage does the bulb have to be in order to achieve the basking temp of 100F-105F?
assuming i'm using a 25 watt light bulb?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!