What is the Best Chameleon, as a pet? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-25-2004, 10:49 PM   #1
Sand&SunReptile
What is the Best Chameleon, as a pet?

I was looking for a Chameleon.
I had a Jacksons, who suddenly died overnight, for a very unexplainable reason. He was drinking and eating the day before, then just up and died.
I was wondering if I could get some feedback, from Chameleon owners, on which would make the best pet.
I realize Chameleons are sensitive in general, but which are the most hardy in captivity?
Thanks,
Mike Fortier.

Old 09-26-2004, 12:12 AM   #2
Vince
Well, any captive born chameleon about 6months of age or older should be very good for a pet, make sure you get the most up to date book you can find. Jackson's are very hardy, but if it was a Wild caught one their are many factors that could of effected its heath. its tuff in the colder states, because chameleons thrive in outdoor enclosures with fresh air and sun light. make sure you have the correct full spectrum lights, and if you get a rain Forrest species make sure you get something to bring the level of humidity up, real live potted plants do well and look great. of cource screen sides are a must. gut load your feeders more then dusting. dust from supplents and regular house hold dust can effect there eyes and respiratory system. as well as dry air from air conditioning. Like I said im not an expert but have kept jacksons and vields with great results * i do live in florida and housed all of mine out doors. jacksons are some what easyer to breed becuse there is no incubation of eggs . as far as your chameleon apearing heathy and dieing over night, did it get extra cold in your house that night? do you have a cat or dog that could of stressed it to death? if it was a WC did you treat it for parasites?

Old 09-26-2004, 01:10 AM   #3
Sand&SunReptile
Nothing I can see.
Had proper heating,
Was kept in the corner, and had barracades, so it couldnt see anything outside of it's enclosure.
Had a humidifier keeping him nice and humid.

Old 09-26-2004, 04:06 PM   #4
Nemesis
Veiled chameleons are very hardy. They have a repution for being quite agressive but they are tough little creatures.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!