Where do you get your leos? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-02-2004, 05:44 PM   #1
syrus
Where do you get your leos?

I will probably get mine from the nearest PetCo, but a lot of the posts I've read say something about UPS?
I'm not interested in breeding yet, but I might be in the future.
When you order them are they more healthy or something?

Old 08-02-2004, 05:50 PM   #2
gmherps
People on this site usually get them from other members who breed or just keep leos. The method of getting these little leos to the buyer is UPS overnight service.
Hope that helps ya.

Old 08-02-2004, 05:59 PM   #3
syrus
thanks, that's what i thought was going on, but do people do this because they know the breeders and they're more reliable, or do they do it just for kicks?

Old 08-02-2004, 06:44 PM   #4
StinaUIUC
In general leos purchased from breeders are healthier than those purchased from petstores. However not all breeders sell healthy animals, and that's why most people buy leos from people they know. There are also some breeders who are very very reliable and ALWAYS sell perfect, healthy leos...such as Robin (www.R2Reptiles.com), Kelli (www.hisss.net), and Marcia (www.goldengategeckos.com)...there are others...those three are just the names that hit me first. Not all petstores sell unhealthy leos...but you really can't trust them to sell healthy leos, so I'd strongly recommend you buy one from a reputable breeder. To save on shipping you could find out if any happen to be near your home.

Old 08-02-2004, 06:48 PM   #5
geckosurfer
Walmart. Next to the chickens. Use to go to K-mart for the blue-gecko special, but K-mart has that Martha connection. Oh well.

Old 08-02-2004, 08:44 PM   #6
syrus
I'll probably check it out and end up getting one from a breeder, thanks!
But I was wondering if a reptile pet store might be better than say PetCo?

Old 08-02-2004, 08:54 PM   #7
StinaUIUC
It really depends on the store...they can be better, they can be worse. I'm assuming since you asked you have one nearby...so if you want to check it out, make sure all of the animals they are selling look healthy (not just leos), and make sure the leos have proper conditions...hiding spaces, humid hide, not overcrowded, water available, not divided from other species (or other leos with a huge size difference) by a plastic wall with a space at the bottom...etc.

Old 08-02-2004, 09:00 PM   #8
geckosurfer
Chances are, too, there are private dealers near you. Don't hesitate to contact the dealer and ask detailed questions. Make sure you're comfortable with your deal. Sometimes petstores, and even some reptile stores, are the gecko-mill equivalent. If you need specific info on a breeder, post the question on the BOI. You'll get honest responses.

Good luck.

Old 08-02-2004, 09:28 PM   #9
syrus
Thank you for your responses...it will still be a little while before I start looking around, but i'll try to get one from a breeder.
I've looked at the 3 sites in this thread and some seem quite expensive. I guess it depends on the type of leo and the designs on it?

Old 08-02-2004, 09:34 PM   #10
geckosurfer
Yes....the normals aren't expensive--breeders are aiming at bringing out specific morphs. We're working on tigers, tangerines, and albino's. Research, research, research---that's the best way to do it. E-mail, post, ask questions and read up. What do you want to do with them? Do you want to enjoy? Breed them? So many questions! So little time!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!