AITA? Was sold an egg bound animal - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 12-12-2021, 11:23 AM   #1
exitree
AITA? Was sold an egg bound animal

Curious about others thoughts on the situation I'm currently faced with. I purchased a proven het pied female ball python the end of October. The seller had good reviews and seemed like an upstanding guy. Anyways, snake comes in. Get her settled in and things are going as planned. She ate once but refused the following week. That second week I go in and she's sitting on an egg. It's obviously bad, hard as a rock and nasty looking with a bit of blood on it. I check her over and there's another one still in there. I leave her for the day so she can lay the other one. Nothing. I try gently manipulating it but she's clearly bound. The vet had come to the conclusion that it's Most likely a twisted oviduct. The guy says she wasn't bred this year and showed no signs of being gravid or anything. The vet is recommending either surgery or euthanasia after he tries a few things and nothing happens. The entire time I'm in contact with the breeder who reads, but doesn't respond to any of my messages until I tell him about the possibility of euthanasia at which point he says he has another animal he can send me along with a return shipping label and he wanted me to send her back this past week and he'll take care of it. I never heard anything further. I messaged him this past Tuesday evening to ask if I was still shipping her out this week. Nothing. He read my message within 30 minutes of receiving it but never responded. I've messaged him a couple more times this week basically telling him we need to resolve this asap. Again, read it but never responded.
At this point I'm going to schedule the surgery and get her all fixed up. But am I wrong to seek some sort of refund for the animal? Obviously she will never breed again and I'll find get a good pet home.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2021, 01:47 PM   #2
WebSlave
Obviously you are not top on the priority list for the seller. If I am reading your timeline correctly, you have been trying to get this resolved since October or November. That is not indicative of a speedy resolution, if any at all.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any assistance from him, and assume you are on your own concerning the outcome. In my opinion, anyway. You have to do what you believe is best for you and the animal and then get on with your life, considering this a lesson learned about the seller.

It is possible he didn't know, since it appears the retained eggs escaped your notice too, when you first received the animal. But still....

Old 12-12-2021, 10:12 PM   #3
Socratic Monologue
I think whether you are justified in pursuing a refund hinges entirely on the conditions of the transaction (terms of sale) and guarantees that the seller offered to apply to that transaction. If they offered any sort of health guarantee that may cover this situation, you're justified in demanding compensation.

Whether you are justified in leaving bad reviews for the seller wherever possible hinges on their statement "he wanted me to send her back this past week and he'll take care of it" which hasn't come true.

A bit off topic -- it sounds as if you have a decent herp vet in your area. Would you mind mentioning who it is?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!