turtle with a figure - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 06-18-2006, 10:33 AM   #1
markface
turtle with a figure

this was posted in one of the news letters i get . there is a video on the site that shows the turtle .

http://www.wltx.com/fyi/fyi.aspx?storyid=38790

(Branson, MO) - If you think littering is a victimless crime, think again.

Something as simple as a 6-pack ring can be harmful to wildlife.

Turtles are supposed to be round right? Not one particular turtle in Branson, Missouri.

"She's not a typical looking turtle," said conversation agent John Miller. "A turtle should look like a zero, not an eight."

The turtle, named Peanut, is now in her 20s. She spent a good portion of her life trapped in a 6-pack ring.

"If you can imagine a small child making a fist, that's the size she was, when she crawled into the ring," said Miller.

She could have become easy prey, but she survived.

"We have had her x-rayed and her lungs are what was greatly affected, and they should be two large ovals, and now they are like two butterflies," said Miller.

And, Miller says all of this could have been avoided.

"What we're asking people to do is before they recycle and throw them away cut every ring up before they discard the ring," Miller said. "The trash can isn't enough, if it blows over, it's back out into the environment, so cut the rings up. You'll save the lives of fish and birds and you'll keep this from ever happening to a turtle ever again."

Old 06-18-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
Junkyard
OOOHHHHH, that really upsets me!!!!!!!

I have been cutting up those plastic rings for years and I am constantly informing others about the dangers of those rings. Living so close to the beach, yet working only 2 miles from it, my coworkers are my biggest complaint. They toss those things out without a single thought of how distructive they are.

My final thoughts

Old 06-19-2006, 01:53 AM   #3
markface
yeah i know what you mean . i wont buy anything that has those plastic rings on them . i feel bad for that poor turtle .

Old 06-19-2006, 11:31 AM   #4
Rattlesnake
People are idiots. No matter how hard you try to teach some itiots things, they just don't learn. Or don't care, which is even worse.