Accused of poisoning neighbors - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 06-10-2004, 10:28 PM   #1
IvIountainman
Post Accused of poisoning neighbors

Please read artical on my web site. Its a little long to post in thead. Feedback is welcomed.
www.iamhome2.com/rat

Old 06-10-2004, 10:54 PM   #2
IvIountainman
Due to warning entire post is...

I've was operating a small business in my home as a hobby for over a year, feeding my own stock and providing for all my friends.

As of June 10th 2004 the business is absolved. No future sales will be made.

The main reason for this close of business is based on a complaint from my current neighbor who lodged a complaint to the local township. They stated the way I kill my rodents was by gas, and the gas was leaching into their home and making their children sick.

Their statement is just absurd, I used compressed nitrogen gas to fill a container to humanely euthanize all rodent stock. This method was given to me by another business. Nitrogen gas is an inert gas that makes up more then half the air we breathe everyday.

If my neighbors children are getting sick, they should look at them selves, as the children are rarely allowed outside. One is so skinny he appears to be malnourished. Could it be that this family who already states publicly without being asked that they suffer from chronic illnesses, which was prior to moving in as my neighbors are just hungry to blame all their problems on who ever they see fit or is close enough at the time.

As a further result of this complaint, the local township fined my townhouse management for allowing me to operate a business in a residence. I did to my defense have a federal and state business license. With me not having a open door policy I was unaware I had to apply for a local permit. My fault entirely, I should have done more research. I sold rats and mice and have no objection getting rid of all live rodents. Management decided to take it out on my snakes as well. They gave me 10 days to get rid of all my snakes and rodents. The majority of my snakes are of a small size and all are non-venomous. Management was asked over a year ago if I could acquire snakes and I was told verbally that they didn't have a problem with it if they were secure and not poisonous. But now I am being told I don't have it in writing. I was told that the pet clause states PET singular not plural.

Snakes are tank animals and fall in the same classification as fish. Next management is going to say you can only house one fish in your home. The tenants in these apartments and townhome's have a wide assortment of pets. To tenants knowledge the ONLY pets not allowed are dogs. Tenants in my complex have poisonous spiders, poisonous lizards, lizards, poisonous frogs, frogs, poisonous fish, fish, poisonous organisms (coral), birds, gerbils, hamsters, mice, rats, snakes, crickets, worms, grubs, insects, and cats.... OMG CATS cats and more cats. Cats everywhere.

Many tenants have complained of the cat population in the complex and were told that nothing can be done.

But my simple corn and king snakes, which are non-venomous have to go because my neighbors made an absurd story of thier children getting sick, off the fumes of the inert non-toxic gas I use to humanely euthanize all rodent stock.

This is just my personal little gripe and are my own opinions, names and addresses are withheld

Old 06-12-2004, 05:45 PM   #3
thegeckoteam
Business out of homes

Hi-

I posted a question in the state section about this, but I'm just starting to sell baby leopard geckos from my home (we own). I called the city to to if what I was doing was legal. Some people said I was stupid for even calling. Well, after talking to animal control, the health bureau, the zoning office and the business license office, they've determined that I am legal. Although I can't sell from my house (would be considered a retail store and that's a no-no for a residential area), I have to get a zoning permit ($25) and a business license ($35). And, even though I won't make a profit this year I must claim taxes.....BUT, I'm legal. No one can tell me I can't do what I'm doing. I'm glad I called, but WOW, what I had to go through.

I think we need to be careful that we legal about what we're doing. That way if anyone complains we have our documents to back us up.

I was wondering what everyone else does concerning permits and licenses?

Old 06-13-2004, 10:07 PM   #4
IvIountainman
Home business

Its true, if you operate any business out of your home you require local permits. In most states and locals you may operate a business from a residence even if it is zoned residential only, provided you business doesn't have walk in trafic. Some such business are individules that sell on ebay and have regular items they are posting.

There is a down side... If you are not ever expecting to sell for profit, you are always better off just being a citizen. Its always legal for a citizen to sell just about anything they own or breed them selves and not collect taxes or be responsible for all the forms of transfer that a business would require. Everything you sell then would be sold "as is".

Customers however prefer to deal with a business because a business is "responsible" and "liable" for what they sell.
YOU CAN BE SUED

Thru my own misfortune, I was advised by the local zoning board had I not aquired a federal and state business license and certificates, they would not have involved my property owner, and I would still have all my rodents and snakes.

Old 06-19-2004, 11:17 PM   #5
Karen Hulvey
Wow, someone in your apartment complex has either beaded lizards or gila monsters? Those are high dollar lizards and the only venemous lizards.

Karen

Old 06-19-2004, 11:20 PM   #6
Karen Hulvey
I'd move if I were you. I would not give up my animals because my neighbors are idiots.

Karen

Old 06-20-2004, 12:16 AM   #7
IvIountainman
poisenous verses venomous

Karen,

please allow me to make a correction, the lizards are not venomous. But a bite from an iguana can make you sick even handeling one and not washing your hands can as well.

where as a bite from a non venomous snake at worse will develope a bad infection at the location not likely seriously ill. Don't quate me on that its my assumption.

Thanks for your reply.
Rick

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!