Birth Control for Leos + - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-09-2006, 09:25 AM   #1
BalloonzForU
Birth Control for Leos +

I did a seach on ovulating leopard geckos, and this is a study I found.

I find this very interesting, and think it would be great for any egg laying animals. When I first got my parrot and before I had a DNA test done to sex him I was worried about him being a female. I've heard horror stories about birds getting egg bound.

If birthcontrol can be created safely for herps I think it's great idea.

http://lifesciences.asu.edu/ubep2001...cts/helminski/

Old 01-09-2006, 05:33 PM   #2
snowgyre
It's the thought that counts, I suppose, but realistically I don't think it'll ever happen. I mean, sheesh, vet bills are high enough as it is without having to worry about spaying your geckos! Most people (including myself) would never be able to afford it.

PS. The link is dead.

Old 01-09-2006, 06:40 PM   #3
LeosForLess
If they could inject them with somthin thatd be great, but theyer so small and delicate its hard. I saw it done to a chamleon on TV and it took a long time. Itd be a hefty fee.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:34 PM   #4
BalloonzForU
I fixed the link.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:44 PM   #5
KelliH
A more simple approach would be not to keep males and females in the same enclosure! Maybe I am just not open minded enough though, LOL.

Old 01-10-2006, 12:51 AM   #6
BalloonzForU
Kelli, Yes a very good solution! But what about females that produce eggs without a male present? Especially if the are pron to problems. Can a Leo be spayed?

Old 01-10-2006, 08:44 AM   #7
raiquee
If i remember correctly, if egg folluciles are not fertilized, they are reabsorbed not passed like in birds...correct me if i'm wrong tho. I've never had an ovulating female pass eggs without being in with a male.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:33 AM   #8
BalloonzForU
Then where do infertile eggs come from?

Old 01-10-2006, 03:07 PM   #9
KelliH
Quote:
Kelli, Yes a very good solution! But what about females that produce eggs without a male present? Especially if the are pron to problems. Can a Leo be spayed?
It's rarely a problem with females, at least in my experience it has been that way. Spaying them would be possible to be sure, but also impractical, unless the leo was suffering from a life threatening condition.

Old 01-10-2006, 04:13 PM   #10
snowgyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalloonzForU
Then where do infertile eggs come from?
I've never had females ovulate without first being exposed to a male. This exposure can be something as insignificant as scent, but it's still exposure. In my experience, females don't produce eggs very often without this exposure, so I don't think worrying about egg bound females kept singly or with other females is much of a problem.

Infertile eggs can come from a variety of ways. One, the male was shooting blanks. Two, the female didn't store the sperm long enough to fertilize the egg. Three, the female may simply be young and the chances of fertilization is lower than normal. Four, poor nutrition. A lot of factors influence it, but in most cases you still need a male to stimulate egg production. I really think that having a male present is more important than even the photoperiod or environmental factors to get the females to ovulate.

I think Kelli has nailed the solution right on the nose! :-)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!