Help please - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-16-2006, 06:07 PM   #1
mambaman
Help please

I have a 10-12 inch ring neck snake it has a injury a (cut) on it and from the injury up it moves around but from the injury down it barely moves. Anything i could do to help this snake? Is it's spine broke or is it just cause of the cut

Old 04-16-2006, 07:11 PM   #2
coyote
Need more information.
Is this a captive pet that you have had for awhile, or is it an injured wild snake you have just found?

Some things that are important to know are:
is it eating?
is it able to defecate normally?
what is the orientation of the cut and where on the body is is located?
old or new injury?
Did you see what caused it?

Old 04-16-2006, 09:05 PM   #3
mambaman
The cut is about 2 inches from it's head I found it under a bag of mulch and i didn't know what kind it was so i raked it back into the opening with my golf club and i think thats how i accidentally cut it. it's a wild snake. The area where the cut is has swollen up. New injury. I put a grass hopper in the cage with it but it hasn't ate it yet.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e188/luster01/Snakes002.jpg

Old 04-16-2006, 09:16 PM   #4
ldydrgn
Get some earthworms or small salamanders... . Then see if it will eat. They do not eat insects. Other foods are small snakes, lizards and frogs.

Old 04-16-2006, 09:38 PM   #5
mambaman
Ok i'll get a small frog i cant ever find salamanders. Do you think it will get better?

Old 04-16-2006, 09:46 PM   #6
mambaman
I dont even think he's big enough to eat frogs he's not even as big around has a pencil

Old 04-18-2006, 12:03 AM   #7
coyote
That looks like a very unfortunate place to get an injury; perpendicular and right over the spinal cord.

Is the rear portion of the body limp and flaccid as if there is no muscle tone? Or does the snake show some ability to control it?

I wonder if it will even be willing to eat since it is wild caught. If so, an earthworm might be more palatable.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:21 AM   #8
ldydrgn
Out herping at Waverly Hills here, we caught a ringneck and put it in tub while we continued our search. We dropped an earthworm in with it and it ate right away. They REALLY like earthworms, lol.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:35 AM   #9
BWSmith
Yes, stick with small eathworms or red wigglers. He will probably do better if you just release him. Vet care on a snake that small is a real pain.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!