Breeding size - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-31-2006, 04:28 AM   #1
Kaa needs a wife
Breeding size

I have 2 leucistic Texas Rats and I was hoping to breed them this coming year but I can't really find any information on breeding size. The are currently about 2.5 ft for the female and about 2 ft for the male. I am hoping to get them to 4 and 3.5 respectively before breeding but I still can't find the recommended breeding size.

Old 08-31-2006, 04:32 AM   #2
DAND
I personally go with the minimum of both three feet in length and three years of age.

Old 08-31-2006, 04:52 AM   #3
Kaa needs a wife
hrrrmmm ok I think that's the most information i have really gotten. although I hear that you can get colubrids up to breeding size minimum 3' in nine months with no harn to the sake on a feeding regimen of every 4 days

Old 08-31-2006, 05:17 AM   #4
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaa needs a wife
hrrrmmm ok I think that's the most information i have really gotten. although I hear that you can get colubrids up to breeding size minimum 3' in nine months with no harn to the sake on a feeding regimen of every 4 days
I disagree with that. Power feeding may make the size that is desired but not the maturity. When power feeding, some body parts grow quickly while others (like organs, reproductive or not) need the time to become properly developed. If you have ever seen a snake that has been power fed you'll notice the head appears small for the body. An underdeveloped head would more than likely house an underdeveloped brain.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:25 PM   #5
cka
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND
If you have ever seen a snake that has been power fed you'll notice the head appears small for the body.
thats called TAS SYndrome; the "TAS" stands for "tiny @ss head" lol. Your may be able to breed the male, but you risk the female's health to do it at her size. Many people can and do breed snakes at smaller sizes/ages, and it is no stretch to get a corn snake up to breeding size in two years. I agree with what David has said tho, 3 years err's on the side of your female leucistic's safety.

There are colubrids that mature much faster than rat or corn snakes; off the top of my head I don't know any specifics on them.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:58 PM   #6
Kaa needs a wife
I don't really know all that much about colubrids so that is why I am asking. Most definetly would not want to bring harm to my girl. Although the oppisite may not be true. Evil demon spawn of satan snake that she is.

Old 08-31-2006, 04:21 PM   #7
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaa needs a wife
I don't really know all that much about colubrids so that is why I am asking. Most definetly would not want to bring harm to my girl. Although the oppisite may not be true. Evil demon spawn of satan snake that she is.
Sounds like a normal Leucistic Texas Rat to me. I had one that I named Pure Evil.

Old 08-31-2006, 04:30 PM   #8
Kaa needs a wife
Yeah I know the male though is quite calm 99 % of the time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!