I am so sick of low-ballers!!!! - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #31
sschind
I have a 75% rule. I would never think of offering less than 75% for anything. If the guy wants $100.00 and its only worth $70.00 to me I let it go. The same goes for selling. I won't bother with anyone who offers me less than 75% for anything. If I want a $100.00 and a guy offers $70.00 my response is "sorry its $100.00, no discounts. If he offers $75.00 I may counter with $85.00 (or I may take the $75.00 depending on the item.) I've been known to give discounts even when people don't ask for them. I've had guys pick up 4 $25.00 items and say I'll take these (without asking for a discount) and hand me $100.00 and I've often given them 10 or even 20 back. Usually they say "whats that for" and I say "its your not asking for a discount discount" most of them are very appreciative but I have had people simply say "Oh", and pocket the money. Those are the ones that irritate me the most.

I lost out at my last show because I guy I had done business with in the past had a beautiful adult female P. regalis. He said he wanted $90.00 for it and it was worth that and a lot more. I just couldn't afford that and I was thinking if I could get it for $65.00 or $70.00 I'd do it but I wasn't going to insult him by offering him a lot less. Not only a lot less than he was asking but way lot less than it was worth. Anyway, later on in the show he came around and told me he sold it for $60.00. I was bummed, when I told him I would have done that and probably a bit more he was bummed and it was just a lesson learned. Still, I'd do it the same all over again.

I don't mind if people ask for a deal and I am not afraid to ask for one myself but like I said, if its more than 25% off 9 times out of 10 I won't even consider it.

As far as the people selling "below market value" If I am sitting at my table with 20 snakes at $100.00 each and no one is buying them and you are sitting at your table with 20 snakes at $200.00 and no one is buying them, what is the market value. I'd say somewhere south of the $100.00 I am asking and no where near the $200.00 you are asking. Then you have the people who are holding their marked price up at $200.00 but selling at $100.00 all day long and they are complaining about me who is selling at $100.00 right of the top and being up front about it. I've heard many stories of buyers at shows getting great deals from vendors "asking" top dollar but "settling" for something that is, in reality, much closer to the real market value. Then you here such things like "did you see so and so at the show? he was selling his snakes for $200.00) Sorry, no he wasn't, he was selling them for $100.00 just like I was, he just wants everyone to think he was selling them for $200.00 because it keeps people from thinking he is the one "ruining the market"

I don't think anyone has said it yet, at least as bluntly as this, so I will say it. They are my snakes. I am the only person I need to justify my prices to. Not the other vendors at the show, not some anonymous seller on some internet forum, not even the buyers. Its my stuff, its my price, if you don't like it tough. All my stuff is priced before I get to the show. I don't walk around and look at what the other vendors are charging and then run back to my table 5 minutes before the door opens and mark my stuff $5.00 cheaper. A lot of vendors do. What does tick me off about it is that a lot of vendors do not price their stuff in advance in attempt to foil those who do the undercutting. This affects me because when I am walking around trying to find stuff to buy no one has their stuff marked and since I don't ask prices on unmarked items I am forced to walk on by. Oh well, it saves me money in the long run I guess.

Most hobbies cost money. We are fortunate that this hobby may offer a chance to recoup some of that money. Does it suck when someone undercuts you? You bet it does. Are there people out there who will deliberately undercut you, You bet there are. But it's their business and the sooner you get foolish idea of "fair market value" and "what it is really worth" out of your head the sooner you will start selling stuff and the happier you will be. That is unless you truly think your $90.00 snakes are worth $200.00.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #32
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschind View Post
I have a 75% rule. I would never think of offering less than 75% for anything. If the guy wants $100.00 and its only worth $70.00 to me I let it go. The same goes for selling. I won't bother with anyone who offers me less than 75% for anything. If I want a $100.00 and a guy offers $70.00 my response is "sorry its $100.00, no discounts. If he offers $75.00 I may counter with $85.00 (or I may take the $75.00 depending on the item.) I've been known to give discounts even when people don't ask for them. I've had guys pick up 4 $25.00 items and say I'll take these (without asking for a discount) and hand me $100.00 and I've often given them 10 or even 20 back. Usually they say "whats that for" and I say "its your not asking for a discount discount" most of them are very appreciative but I have had people simply say "Oh", and pocket the money. Those are the ones that irritate me the most.

I lost out at my last show because I guy I had done business with in the past had a beautiful adult female P. regalis. He said he wanted $90.00 for it and it was worth that and a lot more. I just couldn't afford that and I was thinking if I could get it for $65.00 or $70.00 I'd do it but I wasn't going to insult him by offering him a lot less. Not only a lot less than he was asking but way lot less than it was worth. Anyway, later on in the show he came around and told me he sold it for $60.00. I was bummed, when I told him I would have done that and probably a bit more he was bummed and it was just a lesson learned. Still, I'd do it the same all over again.

I don't mind if people ask for a deal and I am not afraid to ask for one myself but like I said, if its more than 25% off 9 times out of 10 I won't even consider it.

As far as the people selling "below market value" If I am sitting at my table with 20 snakes at $100.00 each and no one is buying them and you are sitting at your table with 20 snakes at $200.00 and no one is buying them, what is the market value. I'd say somewhere south of the $100.00 I am asking and no where near the $200.00 you are asking. Then you have the people who are holding their marked price up at $200.00 but selling at $100.00 all day long and they are complaining about me who is selling at $100.00 right of the top and being up front about it. I've heard many stories of buyers at shows getting great deals from vendors "asking" top dollar but "settling" for something that is, in reality, much closer to the real market value. Then you here such things like "did you see so and so at the show? he was selling his snakes for $200.00) Sorry, no he wasn't, he was selling them for $100.00 just like I was, he just wants everyone to think he was selling them for $200.00 because it keeps people from thinking he is the one "ruining the market"

I don't think anyone has said it yet, at least as bluntly as this, so I will say it. They are my snakes. I am the only person I need to justify my prices to. Not the other vendors at the show, not some anonymous seller on some internet forum, not even the buyers. Its my stuff, its my price, if you don't like it tough. All my stuff is priced before I get to the show. I don't walk around and look at what the other vendors are charging and then run back to my table 5 minutes before the door opens and mark my stuff $5.00 cheaper. A lot of vendors do. What does tick me off about it is that a lot of vendors do not price their stuff in advance in attempt to foil those who do the undercutting. This affects me because when I am walking around trying to find stuff to buy no one has their stuff marked and since I don't ask prices on unmarked items I am forced to walk on by. Oh well, it saves me money in the long run I guess.

Most hobbies cost money. We are fortunate that this hobby may offer a chance to recoup some of that money. Does it suck when someone undercuts you? You bet it does. Are there people out there who will deliberately undercut you, You bet there are. But it's their business and the sooner you get foolish idea of "fair market value" and "what it is really worth" out of your head the sooner you will start selling stuff and the happier you will be. That is unless you truly think your $90.00 snakes are worth $200.00.
Well said!!

Old 10-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #33
deborahbroadus
As I said (or tried to) I don't compete with anyone. I set my prices at what I think the market can hold. AND I am totally resistant to someone else tellling me what price to stick on my snakes.

There is NO "Market Value," imo, this is an unregulated trade.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!