Vended a show last weekend and need to vent..... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
porkchop48
Vended a show last weekend and need to vent.....

No only did the location suck butt but there was quite a few questionable things going on.

A few people were selling red eared sliders at an Ohio show. Just because you rename them red cheeked sliders or something close to that does not make it legal to sell them

Another 1/2 table had tad poles 4 for $1.00... OK I check them out. Was hoping might be something interested. I asked what kind they were. They said Bullfrog ( a native species to Ohio) They were not bullfrogs.
I went back later to ask what kind of tads they were and I got the answer of " there is 3 types of tree frog tads in there". I asked what kind.

And the answer was

Oh I don't know I catch them in a local pond....

since when can you do that?

I will not be going back.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
keithy
This is typically how the ohio shows are, unfortunately. I only go if I have ordered some food or something from a particular vendor. There are a lot of dealer type folks at the shows in ohio.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
AbsoluteApril
Did you report them to the show vendor?
just a thought...

Old 11-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
Pasodama
It is unfortunate that someone, as described, was vending at an Ohio show.
If they were selling native frogs/tadpoles/turtles, without proper licensing, they were in violation of Ohio Laws and Regulations.
Plus, show rules state "no native species".

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy View Post
This is typically how the ohio shows are, unfortunately. I only go if I have ordered some food or something from a particular vendor. There are a lot of dealer type folks at the shows in ohio.
By "Dealer type", do you mean "flippers" or do you mean "business related" (for reptiles &/or supplies)?
I am assuming you mean "Flippers" but, either way, Flippers, &/or those who run a business, are present in most all shows... not just in Ohio.

While there may be flippers, there are, also, good, honest, breeders that vend at Ohio shows. Also some that, while they may flip some animals, have kept them, for awhile, to ensure they are healthy, & eating, prior to putting them up for sale.

The best course of action, at any show (Ohio or elsewhere), is to know what to look for and which questions to ask.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
keithy
I guess flippers, people that are not breeding ANYTHING. I know it is common business practice to trade, sell other peoples stuff, whatever. But there are soooo many people that buy animals and resell them, without knowing a darn thing about them.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
garweft
This wasn't at any of the major shows in Ohio. I know the promoters of the Columbus and Cleveland shows are very adamant about having no native species at their shows, and I'm certain the people in Cincinnati are the same.

It was a very.... very small show

Hopefully the guy is a little better at letting potential vendors know that this is a no no.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #7
Pasodama
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy View Post
But there are soooo many people that buy animals and resell them, without knowing a darn thing about them.
I understand what you mean and the feelings it creates.

You can find those individuals everywhere though. Via shows, or Ads, or other avenues.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
Pasodama
Quote:
Originally Posted by garweft View Post
This wasn't at any of the major shows in Ohio. I know the promoters of the Columbus and Cleveland shows are very adamant about having no native species at their shows, and I'm certain the people in Cincinnati are the same.
It was a very.... very small show
So glad to see that it wasn't at any of those three.
Am/Was unaware of any other Ohio shows.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:38 AM   #9
porkchop48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
Did you report them to the show vendor?
just a thought...
Sorry for being late coming back to the threas.

Yes I did report it to the show organizer. He said something along the lines of Oh I did not know that. He said the one guy walked in and asked if he could rent a table,sell some tads, he told him yes. The couple people with the red ears were bigger vendors that do many other shows. They knew they were not allowed so they changed the names. I heard a few people mention it to the organizer besides for me and he did not care or do anything about it.

And as Matt said it was a very very small show. Did I mention very small?

It was a semi new show, semi close to home. I think this was the 3rd show so I decided I would give it a try and help support a semi local show. I was in the middle of moving the 1st one and just could not make the second one. 3rd time was not a charm.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:12 AM   #10
Magical Geckos
Would you share the info on the show? pm would be fine

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!