[seeking advice] banded gecko breeding? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-29-2020, 01:54 PM   #1
MasonP13
[seeking advice] banded gecko breeding?

I have two banded geckos, and I've considered breeding them, because they are adorable little reptiles, but I haven't seen many people that breed them .... They're central American bandeds, and I'm not even sure what gender they are. Came from petco, and the person said they were probably both girls but they transferred through 3 different stores to get there

Old 12-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #2
Socratic Monologue
I breed C. mitratus -- it is pretty simple (male+female=eggs), although incubation is fussy, IME. Yours are likely WC, though -- I don't know if they breed as readily in captivity.

They're sexed just like leos -- pores and a bulge at the base of the tail for males.

Since WC are still coming in, there's not much market for CB, so be sure you have a market for the offspring. Oh, and on that -- the more we support big chain stores, the less able we are all able to sell our offspring without putting them into national wholesale, so please consider buying your animals from a breeder or a real reptile store. Thank you.

Old 12-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #3
MasonP13
I've asked around all my local breeders and nobody had banded geckos.. I've looked at them and they both look like they don't have pores, but it's hard to tell if they're just young or what... And what's WC? CB means central banded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
I breed C. mitratus -- it is pretty simple (male+female=eggs), although incubation is fussy, IME. Yours are likely WC, though -- I don't know if they breed as readily in captivity.

They're sexed just like leos -- pores and a bulge at the base of the tail for males.

Since WC are still coming in, there's not much market for CB, so be sure you have a market for the offspring. Oh, and on that -- the more we support big chain stores, the less able we are all able to sell our offspring without putting them into national wholesale, so please consider buying your animals from a breeder or a real reptile store. Thank you.

Old 12-29-2020, 03:27 PM   #4
Socratic Monologue
There are folks here breeding them -- a wanted ad will turn them up, or you can search the classified archives and the PM folks who have offered them in the past.

CB= captive bred
WC = wild caught

To see pores, you will (well, I do, anyway) need to use a loupe.

Old 12-29-2020, 03:41 PM   #5
MasonP13
Oh! A microscope can actually see their pores?! That's something I've never heard of! Any recommendation on like what it looks like? I've got leopard geckos and was planning on pairing mine, so is it similar to that?

Old 12-29-2020, 03:47 PM   #6
Socratic Monologue
Yes, the pores on Coleonyx look like the pores on Eublepharis. A general web search will yield a bunch of pics of gecko bottoms that you can use as reference.

The sort of loupe that people use to sex geckos is like this one:

https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/...ing-loupe.html

There are also close up lenses that adapt to (almost) any smartphone camera, if a person wanted to stare for a longer time, or post pics for community input. I use this set, and for the price, it is great:

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B07FWS...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!