Building a better mousetrap - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
Mike Greathouse
Building a better mousetrap

There has been much discussion lately about what Fauna should or shouldn't be and what individual members would like to see happen here.

The Board of Inquiry is obviously the primary draw on this site. But, there is also a great deal of participation in other areas.

I'm curious. What is it that makes a forum worthy of your participation?

Are you looking for a sense of community?
Are you looking for straight informational reporting?
Are you looking for drama?
Are you looking for....?

I think it would be very interesting to examine why people come here and what you would do if this was your forum to make it a place that would entice people to come and participate.

Thank you,

Old 01-31-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
CurtisF
I'm looking for intelligence and information. I've found both here, so it fits..Most of the time.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
Lucille
I do like the sense of community, I've made friends here and met interesting people
I like the idea of the BOI, since I returned to owning reptiles after decades away while raising my children; and the BOI helps build a marketplace that is more trustworthy
I hate the nastiness and dramas that surface among the stronger personalities
I like the thoughtful posts started by some, both reading them and participating in such threads, even if it is on totally non reptile subjects, like the recent thread about fave books

Old 01-31-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
Mike Greathouse
Alright, Curtis, Lucille, So if each of you were going to start a forum of your own, how would you set it up? Curtis, Would it be strictly informational? Lucille, Would it be broad-based to cover a myriad of interests? What do you think would draw people to it and get them to return, once they had visited?

Old 01-31-2007, 03:43 PM   #5
KelliH
I would say sense of community is the number one thing, followed by a positive atmosphere in general and good, fair, across the board sitewide moderation (the two of those go hand in hand usually). An easy to navigate layout is important, and of course, an intelligent member base. :-)

Old 01-31-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
Wilomn
Consistency.

Whatever you're going to have, however you're going to call things, do it consitently.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:48 PM   #7
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Greathouse
Alright, Curtis, Lucille, So if each of you were going to start a forum of your own, how would you set it up? Curtis, Would it be strictly informational? Lucille, Would it be broad-based to cover a myriad of interests? What do you think would draw people to it and get them to return, once they had visited?
I did have a forum of my own (not a site, a forum). Had several. Still have one.
There were posts that asked for opinions and preferences and I had good response in those.
Some people liked polls and some didn't, but the ones who did responded well and often added posts as well as voting the polls.
The poll asking about what people looked like continues to be very popular as the community shares pictures of themselves and their families.
I think for that thread at least what got people to return is their interest in what others had posted and to see pictures of others in our community and their families and provide comments, banter, and just get to know the other posters better.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:52 PM   #8
Mike Greathouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
Consistency.

Whatever you're going to have, however you're going to call things, do it consitently.
Agreed - good point.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:56 PM   #9
Mike Greathouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
I would say sense of community is the number one thing, followed by a positive atmosphere in general and good, fair, across the board sitewide moderation (the two of those go hand in hand usually). An easy to navigate layout is important, and of course, an intelligent member base. :-)
Kelli,
Certainly, you can speak from experience, more so then many here.
Let me ask you this: Did your plans change from when you started your forum, to when you had an established membership base? Did you find that you need to make any adjustments to ensure the longevity of the site?

Old 01-31-2007, 04:00 PM   #10
Mike Greathouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille
I did have a forum of my own (not a site, a forum). Had several. Still have one.
There were posts that asked for opinions and preferences and I had good response in those.
Some people liked polls and some didn't, but the ones who did responded well and often added posts as well as voting the polls.
The poll asking about what people looked like continues to be very popular as the community shares pictures of themselves and their families.
I think for that thread at least what got people to return is their interest in what others had posted and to see pictures of others in our community and their families and provide comments, banter, and just get to know the other posters better.
Lucille,
There is no denying that many of the threads initiated by you have become mainstays on this site. In your opinion, do you think that your style of forum would lend itself well to an entire site, or is it better suited as a subforum? (A place where a more light-hearted approach can be found within a more serious forum)?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!