UPS, FedEx, Airborne Express, USPS - bad guys. - Page 11 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 02-12-2004, 02:15 PM   #101
WebSlave
Quote:
Or it's winter time (few shipments) and human nature is to wait until the box is sitting by the door to go to the shipper until we think about lining up our shipping options.
True.....

If UPS had pulled this stunt on me in August, I would have had a stroke.

Old 02-12-2004, 03:21 PM   #102
Mickey_TLK
Man I keep typing and erasing this, so screw it here goes.

I TOLD YOU SO. I TOLD YOU ALL>>>>>>LOL

Sorry I dont mean to be that guy, but Ive felt like the loan nut screaming in the theater about this issue for years. I hate to say it but Im almost happy its starting to happen everywhere, maybe now the field will be level for all. Not to mention maybe now people will take this seriously.

I truely do hope one of two things happen, and slam away if you dont agree.

1 I hope fed ex accepts snake shipments openly, with accounts, from all reputable dealers/breeders. I also would like to see the other carries soon after adopt that same policy.

2 if option one didnt happen, I hope they SHUT EVERYONE DOWN that doesnt ship delta. I hate to say it but it would be better for someone like myself to have the field level then to have to compete with shipping cost you cannot provide. I MAY be able to still ship lizards ups (havent tried in weeks, been below zero) but I know for a fact the only way I can ship snakes out of my city is via Delta. This puts me at a competitive disadvantage against anyone else who can ship via over the counter services (fed ex, ups, airborne).

Im well aware it would hurt the industry in many ways if we were all forced to ship via delta, but then again Im allready damaged beyond repair till somethings done about shipping in my neck of the woods, and it seems its finally spreading to yours.

I agree Rich you would have had a stroke had this happened at a different time, however I would argue that no better person for this to happen to then you. I mean that in the nicest way possible. You handle yourself very well, and your a fighter. That makes you willing to stand up for what you think is rright. You also have the support of everyone on this site,and that could be just enough power to get someone, anyone, to listen at one of theese companies. Hopefully Fed ex is, we will see.

Mickey HInkle
The Lizard King Reptiles

Old 02-12-2004, 03:44 PM   #103
WebSlave
Mickey,

I sincerely hope most people understood in my opening message to this thread when I said some eggs may need to be broken.

Many may recall that I started the BOI because someone got me angry. Anger seems to be an effective motivator with me, it appears.

Old 02-12-2004, 03:50 PM   #104
Mickey_TLK
Trust me, I knew full well what this would take, or could take from us. You know me, and we have spoken on this issue likely every time since we met years ago. I know what can happen when you are the "odd man out" when it comes to shipping, and it does suck.

I noticed in the "Chris Steele" post he mentioned being seached at UPS, and that they had reasons to be "suspicious" of his package. That to me says they are getting more serous EVERYWHERE about not accepting live shipments. The new signs, more searces everywhere, its only a matter of time before UPS says no more, and it seems that time is near.

Mickey Hinkle
The Lizard King Reptiles

Old 02-12-2004, 03:55 PM   #105
The BoidSmith
Webslave,

Although I did not post in this thread I already contacted Fed Ex last week. I'm planning on opening an account with them. Thanks for the useful info!

Regards.

Old 02-12-2004, 03:57 PM   #106
Randy T.
I will open a fed ex account as well, and stop using UPS.. I guess if the Fed Ex local branch tells me to bugger off I will stick with Delta then..oh well.. we will see...

Old 02-12-2004, 03:58 PM   #107
Mickey_TLK
You know another thing that I find interesting, is when UPS last tried to refuse my lizard shipment (about a month ago) even with my letter of permission, the local guy mentioned something odd. He said "they are no longer accepting live shipments due to loss claims".

Now we all know full well UPS DOES NOT COVER LOSSES OF ANY KIND. Heck I know if they loose a package, I cant even get a refund for the cost of shipping, BECAUSE ITS A LIVE ANIMAL.

That leads me to wonder what pressure UPS is under to force this recent stance. Is it governmental (due to stories like the gator in postal mail, or lawyer sending the dead copperhead), is it from people like PETA causing problems with the lawyers, or is it OUR COUSTOMERS just being a pain to deal with for live shipments.

Think about it, say every live box that is sent out UPS recieves a call on to track down, and hears "its a live animal, I have to find it". We have all done it. Now each call takes time for them to deal with, and anyone who ships UPS knows the last thing they seem to have is TIME. So UPS decides its more cost effective to discontinue service to live shipments, then to deal with all the interuptions in the flow of business.

I just find it odd that UPS seems to not only not be open to snake shipments, but seems to be willing to loose business share on ALL LIVE SHIPMENTS. Doesnt anyone else find that odd?

Or maybe its us pushing for them to accept snakes, that made them realize they really dont know what they are shipping, and that scared them. Who knows.

Mickey Hinkle
The Lizard King Reptiles

Old 02-12-2004, 04:02 PM   #108
Mickey_TLK
By time spent talking with us, I mean the people who go soo far (and Ive done it, so Im sure MANY OTHERS HAVE ALSO) as to track down the local number to ups.

Im well aware when you just "track" a package its automaited, but we all know there are ways to speak with a "human" it just takes patience.

Mickey Hinkle
The LIzard King Reptiles

Old 02-12-2004, 04:04 PM   #109
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Now we all know full well UPS DOES NOT COVER LOSSES OF ANY KIND. Heck I know if they loose a package, I cant even get a refund for the cost of shipping, BECAUSE ITS A LIVE ANIMAL.
Aren't all packages send through UPS automatically insured for $100? Anything above that you have to buy. At least that's what they tell me locally. Of course this it's just in the event the package gets lost or badly damaged.

Old 02-12-2004, 04:06 PM   #110
dwedeking
I really think there was a focus at UPS for this year towards targeting the larger companies. Which removes just about everyone in this industry because in the "Big Picture" we are a small niche market.

Your "claims" explanation was probably made up on the spot by your local rep to provide you with closure on the issue that would not entail him performing any more work.

Fedex just stepped up to grap that smaller company market and part of that was capturing the live reptile shipment game. According to an article in Pet Industry News last year the reptile/amphibian market was the only pet industry sector to grow in the previous three years. Reptiles will be an expanding market as it hits the more main stream public.

With all that's been said about the shipping companies, I would not put your entire trust in any of them. I am hoping that Fedex grabbing up all these reptile accounts will turn heads at UPS. I'll keep accounts with all the major shippers just to make sure there isn't an "emergency" like Rich's situation down the road.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!