Anyone know what kind of snake this is? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:27 PM   #1
Reptile88
Anyone know what kind of snake this is?

It bugs me that I don't know. Apparently someone killed it and uploaded it years ago. I know the guy from high school; and unfortunately, he kills snakes if he doesn't know if they're venomous or not... I wish he didn't kill any.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ahtItfnYyr/

Old 07-22-2021, 11:32 PM   #2
Reptile88
It may just be a black rat snake, but it looks very shiney to me is why I've asked. I can't remember catching any that looked like that. Maybe it's just lighting of the photo?

Old 07-23-2021, 01:08 AM   #3
WebSlave
Is that a local North Carolina animal? Honestly, it doesn't look like a black rat snake to me, but darn if I KNOW what it is.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #4
Reptile88
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Is that a local North Carolina animal? Honestly, it doesn't look like a black rat snake to me, but darn if I KNOW what it is.
Yeah, I believe it was in NC. I thought it could be a black rat snake because the half white and gray belly, but it looks very shiney. I'm not sure what it is if it isn't a black rat snake.

Old 07-23-2021, 01:16 PM   #5
WebSlave
I guess maybe the pic was taken much later after it had been killed and is slightly swollen from decomposition beginning to take place. Also with the amount of variation in black rat snakes it is possible that is what it is. But with the head being gone, I think that is the most often used part of identifying them. Plus the position of the dead animal in the pic just makes it look odd and very un-rat snake looking.

I used to catch a LOT of black rat snakes when I lived in Maryland, and thinking about it, they were quite variable even in that comparatively small locale.

But you probably won't ever know for certain.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!