Celebrity zookeeper Jack Hanna diagnosed with dementia - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 04-08-2021, 01:04 PM   #1
bcr229
Celebrity zookeeper Jack Hanna diagnosed with dementia

So sad. Dementia is an awful disease. My mother in law is in the early stages and it's tough watching her go downhill.

https://apnews.com/article/jack-hann...63c2a4e6b00ba7

Celebrity zookeeper Jack Hanna diagnosed with dementia

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Celebrity zookeeper and animal TV show host Jack Hanna has been diagnosed with dementia and will retire from public life, his family said.

In a news release Wednesday, his family added that it’s believed he now has Alzheimer’s disease that has quickly progressed in the last few months.

The 74-year-old Hanna was director of the Columbus Zoo from 1978 to 1992 and still serves as its director emeritus.

“Dad advocated for improved wildlife habitats and focused on connecting the community with animals,” the statement signed by his three daughters said. Hanna continued to be a spokesperson for the Ohio zoo until he retired in 2020.

Hanna is also well-known for his live animal demonstrations on talk shows hosted by Johnny Carson, David Letterman and James Corden, increasing the profile of the Columbus Zoo and leading to massive attendance increases over the years.

Hanna, who always wore khakis on every television appearance and in photos, hosted the popular syndicated TV show “Jack Hanna’s Animal Adventures” from 1993 to 2008. He also hosted “Jack Hanna’s Into the Wild,” which started in 2007, and “Jack Hanna’s Wild Countdown” until last year.

“While Dad’s health has deteriorated quickly, we can assure you that his great sense of humor continues to shine through,” the statement said. “And yes, he still wears his khakis at home.”

His family asked for privacy in light of COVID-19 restrictions.

“He has spent his life connecting people and wildlife because he has always believed that having people see and experience animals is key to engaging them in more impactful conversations,” his family said. “Even though Dad is no longer able to travel and work in the same way, we know that his infectious enthusiasm has touched many hearts and will continue to be his legacy.”

Old 04-08-2021, 02:06 PM   #2
marker1
Happy and sad article.....makes me want to put on a pair of khakis lol
I hope he and his family are able to maintain a sense of peace through all this.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:54 PM   #3
RichsBallPythons
My grandmother has this disease, she is in final stages with I home hospice care. They expect 6 months left. It's hard talking to her and she has no clue who I am

Old 05-09-2021, 12:18 AM   #4
Potawatomi13
So sorry to see this. Folks like Jack are so great to have around and so needed in our world. May God be with your whole family.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!