Difficulty selling animals in this economy? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors »  Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

YES! You can option out of the Google and InfoLinks ads! Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 06-26-2022, 04:29 PM   #1
Évas-Tegus
Difficulty selling animals in this economy?

I have been trying to sell my tegus after quitting the game in terms of breeding. However, it has been impossible after months of having them listed. I feel like no one has extra money these days (including me lol). I have had people want them but claim to not have the funds.

Anyone else having trouble selling animals in this economic climate?

Thanks
Éva

Old 06-26-2022, 05:04 PM   #2
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Évas-Tegus View Post
I have had people want them but claim to not have the funds.
I think that is a current popular method of negotiating price. I think that for ordinary tegu prices, if they cannot afford to buy, they cannot afford the care, but some just give a sob story, get the animal cheap and then flip it.
I think with persistent well thought out quality ads, I am hoping you get them sold.

Old 06-26-2022, 10:08 PM   #3
nickolasanastasiou
Some things move more slowly (major decline in demand for the category). Others things move as quickly as they always did. Some things move more quickly (increase in demand or higher quality in an existing category).

I am not giving a full seminar on advertising style with animal vendors, but successful advertisers tend to have products people want and they display them in a way that showcases their visual appeal. Or, as a different strategy, some aim to orient their advertising around some emotional or psychological appeal. They also sometimes have to be patient. There are some things for which I might need 300 customers a year. There are other things for which I might only need one customer every two or three years. I also try to be efficient with my time (while still being informative; usually up front). Others enjoy giving up oodles of their own time because they have some sort of attraction to the social back-and-forth (I am not like that).

With your ads, a lot of your photos could be better. Better quality and crispness. Better lighting. Better angles and orientation. Better background. Less extraneous material in frame. Or having the whole animal in frame more often. You have also used photos that came from a person before you in the chain of ownership. I am not sure about others, but I prefer a seller to have generated his or her own (good) photos. Another thing is trades. You have thrown trade offers at for-sale ads for something like ten or so species. It comes off as both a bit broad and rushed. Some sellers invite or are very open to trades. Others rarely would do trades and only if they find major/overwhelming utility in the trade (I am in this category). Others still have no desire to deal with the risks of trades (somebody has to ship first if not meeting up).

Present the animals more sharply in your ads. Address anticipated questions in advance to inform your customer and spend time up front once instead of in repetitive similar responses a hundred times (I like my customers to know what they are doing and dealing with). Generate and use your own high-quality content. Then be patient (if you have that luxury).

Old 06-26-2022, 10:37 PM   #4
Insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Évas-Tegus View Post
I have had people want them but claim to not have the funds.
I don't understand that, unless it's a tactic, as Lucille said. I would feel so stupid, inquiring about an animal that I don't have funds for!

I think that the current state of our economy is scaring people. They're worried about being able to pay the rent, put gas in their cars, and feed their kids. Hobbies are usually the first thing that gets cut out of the budget, when money gets tight. Of course, there are those who can still enjoy their lifestyle without too much economizing, but they're probably in the minority.

Old 06-26-2022, 11:42 PM   #5
WebSlave
Oddly enough, when I was in the business, I found that downturns in the economy would often trigger an upturn in sales. Best I could figure out, when people started worrying about their day job evaporating on them, they started thinking about some alternative sources for income. Breeding reptiles to sell, for instance. I guess it seems pretty easy on the outside looking in.

But this time the entire world just feels different. Too much is going on, and people seem to just be afraid of what tomorrow might bring. Bad crap seems to be coming from all angles, and none of the tunnels seem to have any lights at the end of them. I guess people are going into bunker mode and less willing to take any risks. Money is being grasped tightly because no one knows what just even basic necessities might wind up costing a month from now. Even just run of the mill pets might become an unbearable burden to maintain for some people.

Just my opinion, of course. FYI, I only occasionally know what I am talking about. Or at least think I do.

Old 06-27-2022, 12:05 AM   #6
nickolasanastasiou
I have seen that "I do not have the money" stuff and the claim of intense interest play out in different ways. One is a tactic as already described. A sympathy ploy for a reduction in price. Another is what I think is a weird psychological phenomenon where people get some kind of perverse neurotransmitter hit for expressing interest despite not following through. Like telling a social circle one will start a healthier lifestyle, go back to school for something, or start a dream business venture, but never taking the step in the form of actual action to achieve something after sharing the declaration/claim/idea. Something about speaking it or typing it gives some people just enough of a little bump that they never feel motivated enough to take things any further. I am unable to identify with it, but I have seen it. I think some people who rush to be on waiting lists are serially like this, too, from what I have seen.

Old 06-27-2022, 11:19 AM   #7
Insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolasanastasiou View Post
Another is what I think is a weird psychological phenomenon where people get some kind of perverse neurotransmitter hit for expressing interest despite not following through.
Kind of like hoarders, I suppose, but those people take it a step further. Maybe their neuro hit comes from waiting on UPS, and the process of opening the box. Then, interest is lost, and the item gets stacked up with dozens of others. So bizarre.

Old 06-27-2022, 05:39 PM   #8
Socratic Monologue
I think there also might a sort of 'holy grail' phenomenon in some cases, where a person has no delusions that they'll ever own the animal, but wants to get as "close" to it as they can.

When they do that in a way that suggests that there might be a sale in the works, though, that's really offputting to me. I enjoy talking about my animals even when there isn't a sale involved (and in some ways, I enjoy it more when I don't feel like I'm supposed to be a salesman), but I don't like feeling mislead when someone isn't clear about what they're doing.

To the original point: I haven't experienced a drop off in sales from the past that I've noticed (though there was a surge in the market in 2020 that didn't continue), but some animals that were hot sellers for me simply dried up. I gave up breeding entry level leopard geckos because the demand moved more "upmarket" and I'm not much of a morph chaser. And prices of many reptiles have gotten silly high -- I'm really not sure what's going on there, but it doesn't seem to signal that the market is quiet.

Old 07-09-2022, 02:08 PM   #9
CovetedConstrictors
A few states have either banned them or have proposed legislation to do so, which doesn't help.

Old 07-13-2022, 11:21 AM   #10
Évas-Tegus
I agree with the fear of tomorrow theories. These days everything is throwing costs at you. I also feel like there was a surge in 2020, and for me I feel like that especially applied to tegus. The market is also doing poorly since the recent bans and the market being flooded with the animals people are selling in those states. To reply to Nickolas, thank you for the advice and I have updated my ads with better descriptions and better pics. Hopefully it helps.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!