herpstat vs herpstat nd. what is the real difference? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
IDG4EVER
herpstat vs herpstat nd. what is the real difference?

I have been researching these products and cant really find the difference other that $26 and a night drop cable. am i missing something? obviously i would like the most bang for my buck. please advise. thanks

Old 03-03-2008, 04:54 PM   #2
hhmoore
In the course of your "research", did you happen to compare the two models on the Spyder Robotics website? The differences seem pretty clear when you read/compare the descriptions.
http://spyderrobotics.com/products/herpstat.html
http://spyderrobotics.com/products/herpstatnd.html

Old 03-03-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
shrap
The difference is that the "ND" has a built in night drop feature. The regular Herpstat does not.

If you are wondering what a night drop is, it is nothing more than a programmable timer that changes the temps the thermostat is set to at different times of the day/night. Much like many of the newer thermostats on the wall in some homes.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:06 PM   #4
IDG4EVER
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
In the course of your "research", did you happen to compare the two models on the Spyder Robotics website? The differences seem pretty clear when you read/compare the descriptions.
http://spyderrobotics.com/products/herpstat.html
http://spyderrobotics.com/products/herpstatnd.html

yes my "research" has consisted of looking at many products including comparing the two at the spyderrobotics website. as you can tell i probably don't know as much as you. thats why i asked. i wanted to see if i was missing anything and if there was much more of a difference. why would one get the cheaper one if the nd model had so many features? if you wish to comment please help and try not to sound so abrasive and hostile. trust me, i didn't post so someone would respond like you did. please don't insult my intelligence and help if you can. i tried finding a phone number for spyderrobotics, but i couldn't find one. their website doesn't list one. again thanks for your help if any.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
hhmoore
Its not a matter of "knowing as much" as me, or anybody else - I was unfamiliar with the Herpstat ND until I looked it up when I saw this thread. The links I posted - the pages I asked if you had looked at - outlined the features very nicely, and the differences were apparent (or so it seemed to me).
The ND has - a built in night drop feature with a clock; high/low temp threshold alarms; power outage detection/tracking; audible alarm system; and a 600 watt rating. (the standard requires a cable to be attached for night drop, no clock, no alarms, and is rated for 500 watts).

Old 03-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
IDG4EVER
thank you. so i guess the nd is definitely worth the extra $.. i will buy this one.. again, thanks for the clarification. i am glad there are sites like this with people with a great wealth of knowledge. i am kinda new to the scene, so excuse the ignorance.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
hhmoore
I'm sorry if you found my initial post "abrasive and hostile", but I stand by my comment: The differences seem pretty clear when you read/compare the descriptions.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
IDG4EVER
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
I'm sorry if you found my initial post "abrasive and hostile", but I stand by my comment: The differences seem pretty clear when you read/compare the descriptions.
i don't need an apology. just know if 2 different people read the same item, depending on previous and past knowledge, they might understand it differently. thanks to you i will be more cautious when i think to post on this site. no one deserves to be responded to like that. especially when they are new here. like i said earlier comment only if you think you can help. and you did at the end. i guess you kinda made up for your first impression. good luck and thanks again.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
spyderrobotics
Mr. Moore pointed out the highlights of the major differences. Great job! I appreciate you and the others helping people with their questions. :^) There is one additional major difference and that is the ND's and all other Herpstats have resettable fuses. Which means if you have a power spike, faulty heat element, or decided to try out your 1500 watt space heater on the stat (we get this one alot) the resettable fuses will overheat and shut down. Once unplugged for 5 minutes or so they reset and the device is functional again. On the original herpstat it has a soldered on fuse so if you have any of the above failures it means a shipment back to us to get it replaced. I have recently found a way to integrate a resettable in the original Herpstat however it knocks its wattage down to 400 watts which is still plenty for 99.9% of the applications out there. If someone wanted to purchase a modified one they can email us directly with the request (no extra cost). That being said we sell a ton of both thermostats. As far as bang for buck you can't beat the additional features the ND has. But the original Herpstat is cost effective (if you won't be using night drop) and you can read the display from across the room. :^)

We do everything via email (hence the no phone number) as we are a small company with a handful of employees and I am on the building line too. Anyone with questions can always shoot us an email at sales@spyderrobotics.com which gets checked throughout the work days and sometimes on weekends too.

Dion Brewington
Owner, Spyder Robotics

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!