Baby Ball python strikes but doesn't ball up - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-09-2021, 05:22 PM   #1
pooirod
Baby Ball python strikes but doesn't ball up

Hello! I just brought home my new baby ball python about a week and a half ago. I started taking her out, and am surprised by how shaky I am. She keeps striking which shocks me and I have dropped her (from very low heights onto soft surfaces) twice. I luckily wear socks on my hands, and I saw a video that says to distract the strike and cover them with a hand to have them ball up, but she stays in the striking position when I do this.
Once I have her out I sit with her for five minutes without moving (she is not in ball position but has head cocked), but when I start to move to put her back she strikes again.
Does anyone have any tips on how to calm her down?

Old 02-09-2021, 05:32 PM   #2
Jptheman
Just keep handling her. Keep the sessions short as to not stress her too much. Make sure you move slowly as well so you don’t startle her. I’d also recommend trying not to grab her from above and instead try scooping her up from the side.

Eventually she should calm down once she’s used to you and doesn’t see you as a threat.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:03 PM   #3
WebSlave
Snakes normally bite for two reasons. (1) for food, or (2) out of fear against a perceived threat.

You just have to wait her out till she figures out that you are neither of the above. Sometimes it takes young snakes a while to figure out their surroundings.

Of course, I have seen snakes that never seemed to figure that out. Or some just might not want to be handled by anyone at any time, and are just telling you to back off the best way they can.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
baby, no ball, striking