Need Advice on Treating RI in Black Milk Snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 02-03-2005, 06:00 PM   #1
jsrocket
Exclamation Need Advice on Treating RI in Black Milk Snake

This post is actually a few questions. My small (16.5 g), female black milk is mouth breathing, wheezy, and has a saliva-like discharge coming from her mouth. I am sure she is in distress from some sort of respiratoy infection.

I have read other posts on the subject, but have not come to any conclusions. I want to go with an injectable cephalosporin, such as Fortaz. I have also heard RI's in snakes are treated with Baytril. Is this the same drug as amoxycillin?

Anyone know how to get medications for this without going to the Vet?

Also, would like info. on the technique of injecting snakes. ie injection sites. needle size, and any other info on this medication.

Finally, any info on other treatments, or things to do when you have a snake with a RI, would be very welcome (humidity, heat etc)She's going to be a beauty, and I would just hate to see her go. She needs help Fast. Thanks, Jim

Old 02-03-2005, 08:11 PM   #2
Tripple H Herps
instant message me sometime and I will give you hands on advice. I have treated many RI's! Everyone of them is back in tip top shape today.
Jim

Old 02-07-2005, 10:35 PM   #3
jsrocket
Thumbs up Thanks Jim Willson

Jim actually took the time to call me on the phone

Old 02-13-2005, 12:00 PM   #4
The BoidSmith
I've had pretty good results in the past with Tylan (tylosin). It's like aspirin, old but still good. You can buy it over the counter (it's in the fridge) in stores that deal with agricultural supplies (such as "Runnings"). The dose (of the active drug Tylosin) is 30 mg/lb given subcutaneous, daily, and for 6 days. Make sure you calculate your dilution adequately as the product's concentration is usually 50 mg/cc. She will need 1.1 mg of Tylosin/day! You will need an insulin needle (1 cc) and make the adequate dilution.

I know I'm a little late and hope she is better already.

Regards.

Old 02-13-2005, 03:28 PM   #5
jsrocket
Tylosin

Thanks, Dan

I see you're a boid guy. Have you used tylosin in colubrids? If you are using it to treat IBD in boids, that is a different organism.

Now, that dosen't necessarily mean it wouldn't work in Colubrid RI's. Just want to make sure it's not contraindicated in Milks.

See Ya , Ritchie

PS she is getting better with simple high heat/low humidity therapy, so I will not be treating her with drugs, unless it takes another turn for the worse, however I still would like to know all the treatment options in case I have to deal with the RI issue again.

Old 02-13-2005, 03:51 PM   #6
jsrocket
Ibd

Continued reading on the subject after my last post, and realized that IBD is caused by a virus, and has 100% mortality, so antibiotics probably would not be indicated. Didn't mean to insult your intelligence, I was just somewhat ignorant on the issue. Ritchie

Old 02-13-2005, 04:18 PM   #7
The BoidSmith
Yes, in fact the dose that I mentioned to you is the one that's recommended in Markel's book "Kingsnakes and Milk Snakes. I've used it as a reference in the past with good success. Maybe the name The Boidsmith is a little deceiving, and yes I do have boas and ball pythons, but I also currently have colubrids, and bred Milk snakes and Kingsnakes in the past.

Regards.

Old 02-13-2005, 10:51 PM   #8
jsrocket
Cool, Did some research on tylosin, and just like you said, it's an old school drug in reptiles that still works well.

One thing - recommended dosage in reptiles goes anywhere from 5mg/kg up to 25 mg/kg (IM). This is a discrepancy of 500%!! All these sources I'm talking about look legit.

This is just stuff I have found on the net, so I guess you have to use your own experience/judgement.

http://zcog.org/zcog%20frames/Reptil...ug%20Doses.htm

http://www.fauvet.fau.edu/oacm/VetDa...Data/snake.htm

Ritchie

Old 02-13-2005, 11:24 PM   #9
The BoidSmith
In the past I've used 30 mg/lb (Tylosin) and the RI cleared in a week. It will probably also depend on how soon you begin treatment.

Regards.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!