Blocked glottis on snake -any advice urgently welcome - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:42 AM   #71
hotlips
All my kids have "tails" too, so just like you, baby food wasn't routine, but I've used it for snakes for so long now (3 decades+)- actually the second snake I ever had was sickly so I had to learn fast...the vet (not experienced with snakes either) gave me a very brief instruction sheet & that was about it, lol.

You can probably google the amount of beta-carotene in Rep-Cal "Herptivite" and also the RDA (recommended daily allowance) of Vit A for cats (I'm not a cat person) and compare the amount likely to be in the cat food to what they put in Herptivite or Reptivite (a different brand). I only mentioned Vit A toxicity because the Herptivite
information did.

If he tolerates (digests) this meal, I'd do it again in a week, since this was a small amount...and assuming he doesn't seem any the worse for it. I hope the cat food works...cat food is very high in fat, which might be a digestive challenge? You're in
uncharted territory. How often I'd tube-feed depends on the individual situation.
I once had to tube-feed a baby speckled rattlesnake (Crotalus mitchellii) which is a
snake that eats lizards first, only later graduating to rodents in the wild; he resisted
fuzzy mice so I finally tube-fed him a few times, once a month, just enough to keep
him going but I also wanted him hungry. He finally decided mice were yummy. In
your case & from what you've described, I'd guess maybe feed this one about every 2 weeks (normal interval), & keep in mind you won't be feeding an amount equal to his regular meal, it will be smaller. Don't push it...especially see how he does with the
first cat food too. I've heard of ppl tube-feeding raw eggs, by the way...that might even be preferable to cat food? Your call. I'm wondering if the lethargy you are seeing isn't because of the lack of food but because his breathing is a challenge? That's another reason not to push the feeding too much. Hoping for the best...

Old 02-04-2018, 01:17 AM   #72
Helenthereef
Thanks Caro, I've used raw egg in the past and that would have been my go-to here, but thought I'd try more complete foods first. Also as far as I know he's drinking, but it didn't seem a bad idea to get some hydration into him at the same time.

So, the experiment continues, I'll update as/ when there are any changes.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #73
Helenthereef
Coccidia?

He passed a large chunk of urate last week (no faeces), and I took it to the vet for examination. They think they see coccidia protozoan organisms in there.

Anyone had any experience with coccidiosis? I thought it a gastrointestinal problem, but my vet thinks it might cause lung inflammation too. Could it be something he has had as a low level systemic infection which did not cause the lung problem but is now delaying recovery?

The vet has Bactrovet Trimethoprim sulfa, which is given orally at 30 mg/ kg every 2 days. This cannot be given to animals with renal problems or severe dehydration. I assume that as Samael still seems to be drinking and passes urates every 2 weeks or so, that his kidneys are OK.

He is only eating voluntarily occasionally and irregularly, and is still weak and lethargic, but I have force fed him vitamin supplemented egg, and have some fresh chicks coming on Monday to tempt him with. I've told the vet I'll get some more eggs and vitamins down him this week, and if he starts feeding by himself again when I get the chicks, we might try the Bactrovet.

All opinions helpful, thanks!

Old 02-28-2018, 11:22 PM   #74
Helenthereef
Nutribac arrived!

Well, the Nutribac probiotics arrived today (ordered 18 January) - I'd almost given up on them, but 6 weeks isn't unheard of (it is a long way, I presume the UPS man was rowing....). Tonight he gets tube fed a beaten egg with Nutribac, and my fingers are crossed he might start eating again.

He's been refusing solid food again (and I've tried a variety), so I tube fed him a home made shake of blended chicken gizzards and egg last week and he spent a very jolly half hour vomiting it up all over me. Lovely. Won't be doing that again.

He did pass a HUGE and very smelly stool, (maybe lubricated by the beaten egg...) so that's hopeful, and that has gone off to the vet for a faecal parasite smear. Still no word from the lab about the sputum culture (only been 6 weeks, not like it's life and death or anything), so I'm not trying any more meds until we have something resembling a firm diagnosis.

I feel so bad for him, he's just weak and lethargic, and my hopes are fading again - but he hasn't seemed to be in respiratory distress now since mid January, and he hasn't lost a great deal more weight, so m-a-y-b-e the RI is gone and now it's just the loss of appetite due to the antibiotics.

Come on Nutribac, do your stuff!

Old 02-28-2018, 11:42 PM   #75
hotlips
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
He passed a large chunk of urate last week (no faeces), and I took it to the vet for examination. They think they see coccidia protozoan organisms in there.

Anyone had any experience with coccidiosis? I thought it a gastrointestinal problem, but my vet thinks it might cause lung inflammation too. Could it be something he has had as a low level systemic infection which did not cause the lung problem but is now delaying recovery?

The vet has Bactrovet Trimethoprim sulfa, which is given orally at 30 mg/ kg every 2 days. This cannot be given to animals with renal problems or severe dehydration. I assume that as Samael still seems to be drinking and passes urates every 2 weeks or so, that his kidneys are OK.

He is only eating voluntarily occasionally and irregularly, and is still weak and lethargic, but I have force fed him vitamin supplemented egg, and have some fresh chicks coming on Monday to tempt him with. I've told the vet I'll get some more eggs and vitamins down him this week, and if he starts feeding by himself again when I get the chicks, we might try the Bactrovet.

All opinions helpful, thanks!
Sorry, Helen, I didn't see this post until now. Like you, I associate it with GI issues. I seem to recall that bearded dragons sometimes carry it, but have no experience with coccidia in snakes or otherwise to be of help anyway. Poor snake...

Old 02-28-2018, 11:44 PM   #76
bcr229
Fingers crossed that he turns around for you.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:49 PM   #77
hotlips
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Well, the Nutribac probiotics arrived today (ordered 18 January) - I'd almost given up on them, but 6 weeks isn't unheard of (it is a long way, I presume the UPS man was rowing....). Tonight he gets tube fed a beaten egg with Nutribac, and my fingers are crossed he might start eating again.

He's been refusing solid food again (and I've tried a variety), so I tube fed him a home made shake of blended chicken gizzards and egg last week and he spent a very jolly half hour vomiting it up all over me. Lovely. Won't be doing that again.

He did pass a HUGE and very smelly stool, (maybe lubricated by the beaten egg...) so that's hopeful, and that has gone off to the vet for a faecal parasite smear. Still no word from the lab about the sputum culture (only been 6 weeks, not like it's life and death or anything), so I'm not trying any more meds until we have something resembling a firm diagnosis.

I feel so bad for him, he's just weak and lethargic, and my hopes are fading again - but he hasn't seemed to be in respiratory distress now since mid January, and he hasn't lost a great deal more weight, so m-a-y-b-e the RI is gone and now it's just the loss of appetite due to the antibiotics.

Come on Nutribac, do your stuff!
Hooray, glad your Nutribac has arrived. Also that you got some icky stool to have tested, I hope that yields some answers. Frustrating that the sputum culture is taking forever. I'd do the same thing, hold off on meds until you know what you're dealing with & that they're actually effective against whatever he has. Sure hoping the Nutribac helps.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:14 AM   #78
Helenthereef
Thanks both, I'm off to do the eggy thing, hope he doesn't spit up all over me.....

Old 03-01-2018, 12:18 AM   #79
hotlips
At least snake-barf is better than human-barf...(good luck!)

Old 03-01-2018, 04:21 AM   #80
Helenthereef
He kept the egg and Nutribac down , now we just have to hope it does some good.

On a side note my other snakes fell on the fresh chicks as though they hadn't been fed in a year, so even if he wouldn't take them, the others benefited...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!