Reporting fraudulent accounts/scammers? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 04-10-2022, 05:57 PM   #1
snowgyre
Reporting fraudulent accounts/scammers?

So I know the BOI isn't a thing anymore, but I've been contacted by the same user who is now on his fourth account trying to scam me (you guys have banned the first two or three accounts already). I thought there used to be a "report this user" button in the user profile or near the user's icon in private messages, but I can't find it anymore.

Do we just email an admin now? Or can we get that report functionality now that the BOI isn't a thing?

Thanks for the help, this has been a real nuisance.

Old 04-10-2022, 06:03 PM   #2
WebSlave
I think this may be related:

https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/for...=338061&page=2

Start on post #17 in the above thread.

Old 04-10-2022, 06:12 PM   #3
snowgyre
Ah, okay, so there's a report button for a user's post, but this user isn't posting, they're just private messaging me. In the private message there is no report button, just the dot that shows if a user is online or offline.

I doubt I'm the only person this user has been contacting considering they've had previous accounts banned already. They're using different phone numbers every time too but the content (and grammar) is always the same: they ask for my asking price on an animal, give a cell phone message, and then in the next reply ask if you'll take a certified bank check and ship after the check clears. It's a classic scammer move.

For users who are PMing only, is there a report function we can use (or that can be added) to the user's profile page?

Old 04-10-2022, 07:12 PM   #4
bcr229
You can just forward the PM to admins/moderators.

Old 04-10-2022, 07:12 PM   #5
Socratic Monologue
I got four messages from the scammer in question. I second the request for a report button, though am happy to forward scammy PMs to a mod if that's the best way.

Old 04-10-2022, 07:40 PM   #6
WebSlave
Nine times out of ten a new member engaging in this sort of thing registers using a VPN or anonymous proxy server. When I find them, or find out about them, I normally terminate the account and block that IP address from future new registrations using it. I do scan all new registrations several times a day, but unless something pretty obvious catches my attention, I don't audit all of them for the above.

Honestly the mods put a lot more effort into ferreting out scammers than I do, as I use my time lately with more backend tasks related to running this site. Since they are still in the business of buying and selling, they spend a LOT mor time perusing the classifieds than I do.

Old 04-10-2022, 07:46 PM   #7
WebSlave
As for a "Report a Post" function in private messages, I guess the software developers felt that wasn't necessary since the post itself could not be verified and audited by the moderators since they could not access the original text in the private message.

So I suppose just forwarding such post(s) to a moderator would be the best bet. They may or may not want to have the IP address banned, since leaving it be often trips up scammers who aren't internet savy enough to try to cover their tracks that way. Most scammers are found by context anyway, but still, IP matching does still sometimes surprisingly work now and again. It does help to catch the stupid ones.

Old 04-14-2022, 08:42 PM   #8
nickolasanastasiou
One was just forwarded to me by one of my project partners, so I was able to take care of it quickly. Sometimes these accounts even contact me directly and that is rather convenient of them to reveal themselves.

As mentioned, if anybody gets one of these and wants it investigated, please forward the message and the profile to one or more of the moderators and we can check it out. If I have enough for my burden of proof right away, I can act right away. If there is not enough at first, it might take me a day or two (assuming I have the time, as I do this in my spare time).

PM is fine for me. Email also works for me. The latter is easier if there is an image you want to include like a screenshot or what have you.

Thank you all for looking out for yourselves and each other. I place value in that sort of community cohesion.

Old 08-03-2022, 08:54 PM   #9
Lightning15
OracleOnes (now banned) is a scammer. Sent a check via certified mail for way more than what I was charging. Wanted me to deposit the entire amount and send him the balance. Got suspicious and went to my bank to present the check. Teller said check was counterfeit and confiscated it.

OracleOnes PM to me:

07-25-2022, 03:22 AM
oracleones
Banned

Name : Oracle Ones
oracleones is an unknown quantity at this point
Trader Rating: (0)
2.2 2022 Kankakee Bullsnakes

Still available for sale ? Plz let me know your asking price. text me ‪ (765) 279-0186 ‬ . I don't check messages here very frequently

Old 08-03-2022, 08:55 PM   #10
Lightning15
He's now going by the user name of Desmondunion.
https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/for...r.php?u=225285

Desmondunion

Name : Des Uni
Desmondunion is an unknown quantity at this point
Trader Rating: (0)
2.2 2022 Kankakee Bullsnakes

Still available for sale ? Plz let me know your asking price. text me ‪ (765) 279-0186
‬ . I don't check messages here very freq

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!