Holes or no holes? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:33 AM   #1
WingedSweetheart
Holes or no holes?

I have ordered snakes before and had them shipped to my house. Never were there holes in the boxes. I had always thought there was no need for holes in the boxes.

Well I will be shipping out my first snake in the next few weeks. I got a box from SYR and the little paper that came with it said that I had to punch holes in the box.

I'm curious what you guys think. Should I or should I not punch holes in the box?

Thanks for any help!

Old 09-11-2011, 12:47 AM   #2
JeffreH
I personally have a weird prefernce to put a hole or two 'just cause'... There is a thoroughly adequate amount of air in the box, and the cardboard is slightly breathable, but I still have this strange phobia that encourages a hole or two.

BUT - it depends on the circumstances. For example, I would feel more obligated to add a couple of holes if shipping more animals in one box.

Also - The Weather/Temperatures. This is a biggie. If conditions are borderline unfavorable, I may choose to ship with no holes to allow the styrofoam buffer to do its job; insulate the animal. If things are chillier or hot, I'll go no holes to prevent temperature fluctuation and allow the temperature in the box to stay more controlled. In more reasonable temperatures where no heat or cold pack is needed, I'll usually punch a hole or two on opposite sides of the box = )

Just my $0.02, I'm sure others have slightly different methods they will swear by. A number of things work -but in general no holes are necessary at all.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:02 AM   #3
hhmoore
Holes.
Heat packs - when used - consume oxygen. Having received too many snakes with dead heat packs over the years, I consider a small amount of ventilation a necessity if I am adding heat. I don't hold to a specific method - as I change things according the species, temps, and box size - but a lot of times I'll put the heat pack on the side of the box, with the holes behind it.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:05 AM   #4
WingedSweetheart
Thanks for the info guys! I think I'll add a few holes in the sides. It's starting to get chilly here in the mornings and at night time. I'll have to check what the weather is going to be like on the West Coast when I ship. I might need a heat pack. My box came with one of each (cool pack and heat pack).

Old 09-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
Deborah Stewart
I always put between 2 to 4 holes depending on the size of the box and weather.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!