Delta Dash info and questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
rebel750
Delta Dash info and questions

How difficult or easy is it to use Delta Dash? Im not concerned with cost so much as ease.

I called the customer service number today. The lady told me once you have your reptile properly boxed all I need to do is schedual the flight and drop the box off with appropriate fees and thats it. Is that really it?

Old 06-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
hhmoore
Are you a recognized shipper? It was required for many years (post 9/11), but recently I've seen a few posts indicating that it isn't....it may depend on the location, though, as I was asked for verification of my status the last time I used the service.

It is very easy to use - however, I'd recommend not sealing the box prior to drop off. They can, and often do, choose to check the contents. I've never had them actually open bags, but they've checked to ensure that it looks like live reptiles in the box.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
rebel750
She told me specificly that I do not have to be certified, she didnt mention the term recognize. I dont know if that makes any difference.

I have shipped dogs in the past and their only requirement was a health certificate, airline approved kennel and proper weather. She said cold blooded reptiles only need to be properly packaged (full instructions included on the site, pretty good info for packaging).

But I hear what your saying about not sealing the box, it makes sense.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
Was going to get my delta authorization because I had also heard you did not have to be a previously verified member (what they required after 9/11) - they sent an application and to process the application it's a $50 fee, it asked for business license info which I do not have (it's a hobby). I was told they wouldn't officially be able to tell me I couldn't become verified without a business license until after I paid the application fee but I got the impression I would have been denied due to not having a license so I didn't pursue it. This was in 2009.

Let us know what you find out Rowdy!

Old 06-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
hhmoore
The application fee is now a minimum of $75, and additional mileage fees for the site inspection map apply - per the current application.
http://www.delta.com/business_progra...uest/index.jsp

The first sentence reads: To ship on Delta, customers must be known shippers.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
rebel750
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
The application fee is now a minimum of $75, and additional mileage fees for the site inspection map apply - per the current application.
You are correct, however animals are EXEMPT as of right now. It was explained that the inspection for this process is to "ensure your business/home does not have any illegal contraband/activity".

I just got off the phone with Deltra Crago again, you DO NOT have to be a verified shipper, you DO NOT have to fill out an application or pay an ap fee to ship reptiles.

Her steps over the phone are as follows....

1. properly package animal
2. Call and set up flight time
3. show up a minimum 60 minutes before flight at cargo drop off

Bottom line I got from my 3 calls to them today (LOL!) the general public CANNOT ship "cargo" since 9/11, animals in this sense are not considered cargo. Bout time we have a decent loophole left open for us.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
hhmoore
The reason for the site visit is to ensure that you are operating from the address you say you are (that's why they want to see bills with that address in your name). The "inspector" doesn't necessarily even enter the house.

But it's interesting that you were told that animals didn't require the shipper to be recognized....I know of a couple people that were turned away because they weren't, and they always check my shipper number when I drop packages off (even though they confirm that there are reptiles in the box).

Old 06-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
rebel750
I'm gonna try it soon just to see what happens. Kind of a live test run. But dont worry I am going to ship to my Dad out of my own pocket and personal snake, at least if something gets screwed up somehow,l it wont effect a paying customer.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!