Tricky Tricky FedEx! LOL - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
supreme_reptiles
Talking Tricky Tricky FedEx! LOL

Here's a funny one for ya's!

So, I was expecting a package today of some beardies. Fedex priority overnight. 8am I'm checking windows and doors for any hint or whiff of a fedex truck. I have a very large home so hearing the truck is quite difficult so I try to stay in the kitchen where they deliver the packages to my back door. 12 pm rolls around and still no truck. By this time, I'm bored and starting to realize my fridge needs a cleaning too (after cleaning all my cabinets..)!

So, I do that and then feed all my dogs. I have FIVE dogs. Yes, FIVE. The five dogs and I are all in the kitchen (kitchen is 10x15) with the back door open and only a storm door between my back porch and me. My back porch is a very old wooden porch that is very loud when you walk on it and a rickety squeaky gate to boot when you open and close. Needless to say, I am standing there and I VERY faintly here a small squeak. My dogs weren't even sure if they heard anything as only two of them barely raised an ear.

Lo and behold a package was left RIGHT outside my storm door while I was standing less than two feet from it!!!!!!!!!!! The squeak I heard was the driver closing the gate, and by the time I opened my door to see what the squeak was, the driver was already across the street and sitting in his seat!!!!!! My DOGS didn't even hear him!!!! I'm standing within two feet of the door (actually I was pouring myself a soda at the time!) and didn't hear him. No knock no nothing. When I yelled out to him that he needed my signature, he said "no, that's ok". I assured him it was not and made him get back out and take my signature. However, after checking with the shipper, the confirmation said that the signature was not obtained. ??? Well, anyway, it all turned out well as my beardies are ok and well. But, I just kept thinking to myself...those fedex guys are TRICKY TRICKY TRICKY!

To make a long story short....these fedex guys must be taking ninja stealth lessons for 5 dogs not to even hear them!!!

Hope you enjoyed the story!

Old 01-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
Ed Clark
Fedex almost always drop and run with the packages.

If your shipping reptiles, signature realeases are already on file.

I have 5 dogs also, the more the merrier!!

Old 01-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I live in the country and do a lot of online shopping~ so Fedex or UPS is out here pretty much every other day for one reason or another. I've got 3 dogs~ and the delivery guys KNOW that. They've never bitten anyone~ but they make a ruckus if they notice them and scare the newer drivers. Our older UPS driver has a system though~ he drives up to my van door (pretty much always unlocked~ I have 3 dogs!) he pulls in close enough that he can open my van door without ever actually exiting his truck~ he drops my packages in the drivers seat of the van and then lays into his horn if the dogs have not already noticed him and started a ruckus!

I actually think it's a pretty clever way to ensure he doesn't get bitten~ and since I know he does it I know to check my van if I'm expecting a package and wasn't around when he pulled in!

Old 01-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
Jerry_c_62
Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme_reptiles View Post
.....My dogs weren't even sure if they heard anything as only two of them barely raised an ear. .....
I'ld get better dogs.

Seriously though. I hadn't even given the fear of the dogs thing a first thought, let alone a second. I've been around dogs all my life, and the fact that they really scare some people just never occured to me. My thought was that the driver didn't personaly approve of the contents and wanted to put your animals at risk. Now that I think of it that does seem very cynical doesn't it (sorry to any FedEx drivers who may read this)? The chance of a driver disapproving of the nature of the package, and being less than professional, has been something that I have wondered about though.

I would be interested in knowing if that is something that people have had problems with. In fact I am going to start a diffrent thread to inquire about that and not inadvertantly take over your thread Cheryl.

So with that said, I'm off to generate a poll, I hope. I've not done it before so I hope I can get it done without throwing up my hands and quiting.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #5
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_c_62 View Post
In fact I am going to start a diffrent thread to inquire about that and not inadvertantly take over your thread Cheryl.

I didn't start the thread~ I just replied in it. The delivery guys who come out here are certainly afraid of my dogs~ I've got BIG DAWGS~ and I live down a LONG drive (1/4 mile maybe) where if they were attacked and I didn't happen to be home no one would hear them screaming! I've got signs up to~ "Dogs on premises" and "Livestock Guardian Dogs on Duty." The meter reader doesn't get out of her truck until she lays into her horn 5 or 6 times to get the attention of any dogs that may be out so she knows where they all are before she's out with them! She tells me she does that at all rural homes.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
Double LY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Marchek AKA JM View Post
The delivery guys who come out here are certainly afraid of my dogs~ I've got BIG DAWGS~ and I live down a LONG drive (1/4 mile maybe) where if they were attacked and I didn't happen to be home no one would hear them screaming!
This section reads just like the back of "Cujo"

Old 01-23-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
KathyLove
FedEx drivers are always dropping packages and running away - that is why I try really hard to get customers to avoid home delivery (even if it is a home business). Drivers always say they have a signature waiver on file.

I have always assumed that the reason they do this is because they are in a hurry - they have a lot of packages to deliver! I bet a lot of drivers have gotten stuck for 5 - 10 minutes or more discussing the weather with a lonely homeowner who really wants to talk to somebody, so I can understand their reasons. But I still don't like the "drop and run" practice.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
Clay Davenport
Unlike UPS, FedEx has different trucks for ground and express. One neither picks up or delivers packages for the other. At least this is how it is in my area and I'm rural, so I am only assuming it is the way they do it pretty much everywhere.
For the express drivers, they are held accountable for late deliveries, which if it was driver error, FedEx guarantee states they'll refund the shipping charges. The number of late deliveries which results in disciplinary action is very low, so they are always in a big hurry, hence the drop and run.
I recently learned from a ground driver that their pay is somehow tied to the number of packages delivered daily, I didn't understand the details there. They don't have the refund guarantee to worry about so the company apparently gives them incentive to move as fast as they can that way.
I am not defending them, I don't like it either, but those are the main reasons.

I too have wondered about the occasional employee working for any of the shipping companies, whether driving a truck or working at the hub, that hates snakes and intentionally mishandles the package.
In reality though, I think it is rare that any part of the label is noticed beyond the address. The truth of the matter is at the hub most all packages are handled roughly.
My cousin worked at the UPS hub while waiting on a driving position to open. He used to tell me about how the packages were handled. When a truck comes in from the airport boxes are flying through the air, hitting the floor, it's a madhouse sorting everything. During the Christmas season it's increased about ten fold, which is why I stop shipping anything regardless of the weather 2 weeks before Christmas.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #9
Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport View Post
I recently learned from a ground driver that their pay is somehow tied to the number of packages delivered daily, I didn't understand the details there. They don't have the refund guarantee to worry about so the company apparently gives them incentive to move as fast as they can that way.
I am not defending them, I don't like it either, but those are the main reasons.
I had a contracted FedEx driver tell me once that he gets paid $1 (yes ONE DOLLAR) for each delivery made to a location. It doesn't matter how many packages might delivered to a particular address - it counts as ONE delivery. He really griped about getting put on routes that include shopping centers... since the shopping center has one address (but maybe a dozen stores each at that location getting deliveries) - it is considered to be 1 delivery. A lot of the rushing going on by drivers is trying to get the trucks unloaded so they can reload and go back out again in hopes of making decent pay. Some contracted drivers are even expected to fill the trucks with gas out of their own pockets too and NOT get reimbursed.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:06 PM   #10
supreme_reptiles
Ha! I didn't even think of them being afraid of dogs either!!! Well, at least this time that wasn't the case because I never saw this driver before. So, he most likely didn't know I had dogs. My dogs are very small (except one bearded collie) but if your afraid of dogs, I guess it wouldn't matter how small they are. I always make my dogs stay in the house while I step outside to do business.

Funny you should mention about getting new dogs..LOL. When I stepped back in the house I looked at all of them and told them I was trading them in for REAL dogs that weren't so spoiled that mom has to be the watchdog! LOL Guess I AM the pack leader.. I just couldn't believe that I had five dogs and myself all within 5ft of the door when they fedex guy delivered it and none of us heard him! That has to be some kind of record! LOL

I wouldn't mind so much the drop and run if they would at least knock and run! I understand they are busy and do have lots of deliveries to make. I can just imagine if they had to wait for every single person to come to the door, especially the elderly. They'd never get home to their families or make any money. I just found the whole scenario quite comical and shocking at the same time. Maybe I should get that "sonic ear" thing! One for the dogs too!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!