Go Airborne - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 01-08-2003, 11:59 AM   #1
repitat
Go Airborne

I know this may be a bit unrelated, but I just wanted to make a comment about my shipping experience. We are vivarium builders, many of you have seen us at shows or floating around the web somewhere. We specialize in custom vivairums. When we began, we didn't expect to encounter the shipping problems that we have found. UPS told us outright that they couldn't ship our product and guarantee that it would make it without damage. They wouldn't offer insurance either. FedEx said, "Sure, no problem", and then demolished the first one we sent through them. Finally we decided to try Airborne. They were our third choice, and also the only company that would ship oversized packages. I know Airborne has somewhat a bad rap in this industry, but I saw no choice than to give them a try, or spend an absolute fortune in other shipping means. Not only have I had no problems with damage or late arrivals, but on Monday they picked up 5 packages from us, 2 were due to arrive Thursday, and 2 on Friday. All 5 packages are out for delivery today (Wednesday). Four of the five packages are a day or two early. Yeah! Go Airborne

Thank you for listening!

Old 01-09-2003, 09:56 AM   #2
Ron Billingsley
Red face I also sing Airbonre praise

I to have used all three of the large carriers. And hands down, Airborne has done the best job with delieveries. I don't know if it is because of my local carriers (Indiana) or the company as a whole. UPS has lost packages, delayed delievery for two or three days. Fedex has accepted packages, and at times refused packages, has lost shipments, and has had numerous day delays. As of this posting, I have not had one problem with Airborne Express, and I have shipped 57 packages in the past three months.

Old 01-09-2003, 10:20 AM   #3
ksshane
I have heard good, and bad about airborne. I will just tell you about an experience I personally witnessed.
First I just want to say that Airborne must do things different in all parts of the country.
Here in Wichita Ks. the delivery guys drive around in little S10 pickups with toppers on the bed of the trucks, and if you are not home they will just through your package in the back of the truck, and finish their deliveries, and if they have time they will stop back by after they are done, and see if you are home.
Last January I was at an exotic pets store when their animals arrived. I guess the driver had showed up before they had opened, and since know one was there he through their packages in the back of the truck, and finished his deliveries. Even though the box was marked with live animals, and was also marked not to allow under a certain temp.
The employees of the store, some other customers, and I helped open the boxes, and as you can guess. All of the animals where pretty much frozen. Some of the animals we were able to warm up slowly by holding them in our hands, but then other animals. Like a group of Tokay geckos where all huddled up in a ball frozen together.

Later on, I found out that this wasn't the first time that this had happened with this driver, and that the pet store had called the Airborne main office to complain, but obviously it didn't help.

Of course I dont think Airborne is ran like that in other parts of the country, but I know it is here.

Just my .02

Old 01-09-2003, 10:38 AM   #4
repitat
Yikes

Wow, Shane, I can't believe the way that guy cares for the packages that he's entrusted with. Wait a minute, yes I can, especially after what I saw FedEx drivers do to my vivarium and base! I 'spose they're all really the same. They (courier services) have good drivers and bad drivers. Just makes me real glad I don't have to ship animals, only product. You can rebuild a vivarium and base, but certainly can't rebuild an animal.

Old 01-09-2003, 10:44 AM   #5
ksshane
I also meant to add that Airborne does have regular delivery trucks here (we also have running water, and color TV...LOL), and Im not sure why they have S10 pickups. But I do know that anytime that this particular pet store gets a delivery from Airborne. It is always a guy driving those little trucks.

Old 01-09-2003, 10:44 AM   #6
Ron Billingsley
Two topics of interest here:
1st Topic: Sending a package/recieving a Package
If I am expecting delivery of a package, I make sure someone, either myself or a family member is here to accept said delievery. I never take chances on this issue. If you know something was shipped, and not make arrangments for it's "safe" delivery, well all I see here is a MAJOR PROBLEM with either the animals being left outside in the enivorment (either to hot or to cold), or like was metioned in the aboved post, being tossed around in the back of a vehicle all day, or at it's worst, being sent back to the hub for you to come and fetch.
When sending packages, I make sure, I even STRESS this point: Have someone home to accept delievery. How can I, the seller of said animals gurantee them to you the reciever, if they have been sitting outside in the snow for four hours? Or sitting on the front porch in 95 degree weather (110 in the shade)?? I believe this is the sole reason almost every seller of reptiles that uses these over night carriers says NO GURANTEES and to be honest, can you blame them? Now, I know some folks ship some sorry animals, but that is for another thread.
2nd Topic Regional Differences in the Same Company
What I am trying to say here, is YES I believe that these large companies have different SOP's (standard operationing proceures). I have had FEDEX tell me point blank, we do not, under any circumatances ship reptiles, only to have two shippments arrive the folling day via Fedex!!!
Airborne Express is the little guy, when it comes to this business of shipping. My personal opion is they want the buisness, at least in my area. Most of the drivers that arrive here for pick ups know me by name, and we chat about such things as the weather, fishing or how the Colts suck (NFL football team).
They always arrive by the set time in those new shinny large trucks of theirs, and never, never have I recieved a shipment here later then 10am!! A perfect score.
What happens in Tulsa, Tubbelow Mississippi or that Bum*uckegypt place I always here about I can't comment on, Just what happens here in my little pond.
Good day

Old 01-09-2003, 10:47 AM   #7
ksshane
Not to change the subject, but Fedex has told me the same thing about not shipping reptiles. Although I have received reptiles through them.

Old 01-09-2003, 10:50 AM   #8
HerpMasters Inc.
Airborne good and bad

I have had good luck with shipments arriving from Airborne. They have always been on time and problem free. However shipping reptiles with Airborne can be difficult. In South Carolina, they would take anything I had and never asked a question. Here in Florida, they want to know everything in the package and threaten to open the package and check for themselves if they dont think you are telling the truth. I know their bylaws and I know that they can and will refuse snakes and lizards. They will accept tortoises and frogs but offer no insurance on them. So needless to say, I ship a lot of books and household goods from MKL Reptiles LOL. I figure that they are happy to bill me and take my money for the shipments I make on my corporate name, what do they think I will be shipping??????????? LOL

Old 01-09-2003, 10:55 AM   #9
JasonBrennan
Here are my two cents and experience with Airborne Express.

I have recieved packages twice from Airborne that were "lost" in transit.

I shipped a package, and it got "lost" in transit for FOUR DAYS!!

When I have called Airborne to track these shipments (the only info on the website was "shipment picked up and such and such time"), they could not even tell me if it had made it off the truck that picked it up!!

So, basiclly what I am saying is that I think Airborne sucks!

Old 01-09-2003, 11:31 AM   #10
dwedeking
While no carrier will ship reptiles as a standard, any carrier can issue a letter of exception to that rule (or any rule for that matter). I have this set up with UPS now and am in the process of getting it done with FEDEX (like everyone I didn't think they would until I talked with a local fish farm that uses FedEx).

A lot of the impression of a company's service relies on the final delivery person. I've had an airborne driver drop a box the last 18 inches to the floor on it's side when the box was clearly marked with arrows and live animal text. Got a blank stare when I asked if he was recently fired from McDonald's or Burger King for lack of ability to read.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!