Are large silkworms ok for a juvenile Beardie? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
horsema
Are large silkworms ok for a juvenile Beardie?

I am a new mama to a juvenile Beardie. I want to give her some variety in her diet. I was going to get her some Phoenix worms, (have read a lot of good things about them) but will have to order them online (local supplier has quit getting them). I have read over and over that you should not feed them anything any bigger than the space between their eyes. A guy at a local reptile store reassured me that it was ok to give her large silkworms, even thought they are twice as big as the space between her eyes because they are soft shelled. I have read all over that these are ok to give beardies, but I can't find any info on what sizes are ok. I am scared to death to give these things to her. He fed one to a gecko that was pretty small to show me, but I would rather ask you all.
My Beardie is 4 mos old and 12" and the worms are probably an inch and a half to two inches. I would rather be over cautious that have a dead little beardie !!! Thank you all for any help and response !!!

Old 06-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
Heart4Dragonz
Silkworms and hornworms are usually fine to feed, they're pretty much a 0 Impaction risk since they have no exoskeleton. I have a 6inch 3month old that downs 2/3inch hornworms and loves them, and I had another baby that loved large silkworms too, never had any problems..

Old 06-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
Heart4Dragonz
Eh...8inch & 3month's*

Old 06-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
Papa Wyrm
my lil dahlia, well she practically doubles in size everytime i look at her is at 12 inches and 76 grams. i gave her her first hornworm yesterday, it was easily 2 inches long she slurped that puppy up then went back to chasin crickets for 15 minutes. i'm getting a 25 cup in tomorrow from geatlakes...can't wait... the protein is off the charts from what i read, and no chance of impaction? awesome!!

Old 06-11-2010, 02:22 AM   #5
horsema
Thank you all for your input. I gave her 2 of the smaller ones today and boy did she gobble them up. Figured I would start out slow with the smaller ones. It was good to see her eat !!!
I just got her on Tuesday and she had not eaten due to being stressed from relocating.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
Heart4Dragonz
The worms are great for picky eaters, dragons can't resist them.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:56 AM   #7
Papa Wyrm
yea i have one that i posted on earlier for help cause she was riddled with coccidia and pinworms when i got her. she was wasting away and i've had a terrible time getting her to eat and hold down food. she's just plowing through hornworms now and shes put on like 10 grams in the last week.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!