This dog won't sleep in its bed, what to do? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 04-08-2006, 06:13 PM   #1
Lucille
This dog won't sleep in its bed, what to do?

My newest dog Boss who is a gigantic Great Pyrenees sleeps on the floor in my room. I got this really nice soft giant dog bed but he won't sleep on it and won't even lay down on it.
Except for stealing fajitas off the dining table his manners are great, he does not jump up on furniture or chew the drapes or anything. But I WANT him to sleep on his doggie bed, what can I do ?

Old 04-08-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
Cat_72
I don't think ANY of my dogs have ever slept on the beautiful, soft, lovely doggie beds I have bought them, lol.

Well, the Bloodhound will, but as he lays on them, he EATS them......so that doesn't count.

Old 04-08-2006, 07:06 PM   #3
SIRS
maybe if you put some of his favorite toys in it or do what i did i had the bed next to mine in the room and my dog well pups at the time would rather sleep on the floor never understood why,so what i did was actually sleep on the floor in my own room looking at my own bed wondering why I'm on the floor with them ..i actually used the bed as a pillow and found my puppies curling up on it trying to get as close to me as they can .I slept on the floor for two nights two long nights and what i saw is when i was either cleaning or messing around on the computer i would slide the bed over by me ..and they would both jump in and fall asleep so, the third night while they were already sleeping i just slide it back to its normal spot next to my bed threw the shirt i was wearing that day in it and jumped into my bed ...they slept there all night and from there on seemed to love it till they got too big ...hope this helped if not i just made me look silly sleeping on the floor with them but they are my babies so i would do it again

Old 04-09-2006, 01:55 AM   #4
PaulSage
He might just need to get used to it, since it's new and all. If you ever keep him in a kennel/carrier, leave the bed in there with him. He'll HAVE to use it for the lack of other options. I bet if he gets used to it that way, he'll be more apt to use it outside the kennel/carrier, too.

I dunno though, ...that's what has worked on my dogs. It might be worth a shot.

Old 04-09-2006, 03:28 AM   #5
Clay Davenport
Just give him your bed, I guarantee he'll take that lol.

But really, I read an article once about bed training larger dogs. The method recommended was similar to crate training. It involved using a tether anchored in such a way that the dog could not leave the bed. This served the same purpose as closing the door on the crate.
The rest of the training was basically the same, Offer a treat when they get on the bed for the night and all that.
After an adequate training period the tether was no longer needed and the dog considered the bed the equivalent of it's den.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:39 PM   #6
coyote
I don't care where my dogs choose to sleep.
I provide them with a selection of comfy spots--quilts on the floor out of the way.
I, however, never allow the dogs on the furniture or on my bed.

Old 04-09-2006, 06:06 PM   #7
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
I, however, never allow the dogs on the furniture or on my bed.
That's one mistake I made. Now it's whether or not my dog lets me sleep in HER bed...

Old 04-09-2006, 08:03 PM   #8
Clay Davenport
I don't remember what it's like to go to bed without two dogs joining me. Or sitting on the couch for that matter.
I also have mini schnauzers, which are small and do not shed. Also due to work schedules, there's rarely more than one person in the bed at a time, well when sleeping is the goal anyway.

Let's not forget about the origination of the term three dog night. Sometimes it's better to have dogs in the bed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!