New Ball Python Owner - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-08-2007, 09:31 PM   #1
Python420
New Ball Python Owner

She is the new addition to my Family, I got her about a month ago. I'm very pleased with this Snake. Have not had any problems with her at all, she is very friendly and loves to be held. I'm consurned about her though, she looks a little thin I posted some pics to tell me what you all think.

I'm Currently feeding her Adult mice. Are Rat Pups bigger then adult mice? Or maybe by looking at the picture you could tell me about what size I should give her. I'm affraid of gettin her something to big. I've been told two different things that the mouse/rat should be an inch bigger than what she is. I was also told they should be the same size.

Any Suggestion or Comments?
Thanks
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2007, 10:56 PM   #2
Pink Lady Exotics
She looks a little skinny, so adult mice or rat pups every 5-7 days should be fine until she grows a bit. They are generally the same size.

My bigger concern is the stuck shed and small cage -- you only have one hide (a log at that -- not very secure) and not enough space to add another as well as provide a proper heat gradient for her to thermoregulate. What size tank is she in?

Congrats on the new snake, they're addicting.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
Dennis Hultman
Where did you get "her"? How old is "she"? Can you weigh her?
How many layers of stuck shed is that on her head? Has she been to the Vet since you purchased her?
How are you keeping her? Temps and humidity.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #4
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenHarrison
She looks a little skinny, so adult mice or rat pups every 5-7 days should be fine until she grows a bit. They are generally the same size.

My bigger concern is the stuck shed and small cage -- you only have one hide (a log at that -- not very secure) and not enough space to add another as well as provide a proper heat gradient for her to thermoregulate. What size tank is she in?

Congrats on the new snake, they're addicting.

I must type slow. Nobody was even on the thread when I started.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:02 PM   #5
Pink Lady Exotics
I have lightning fingers because this is all I ever do other than work, sleep, play with my daughter, and clean the house.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:12 PM   #6
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenHarrison
I have lightning fingers because this is all I ever do other than work, sleep, play with my daughter, and clean the house.
LOL..

Old 08-08-2007, 11:38 PM   #7
Python420
I got her at the pet store about a month ago. When I got her I didn't know much about snakes I alway held my cousin's 6ft Ball Python when I was little. The shed on her head is only 1 shed. I was told to put her in a pillow case with a luke warm towl over night but I dont wanna stress her out.

Also when I got her, the guy at the pet shop picked everything out that I needed. I got her in a little 20 Gal. tank thats what the guy told me I needed he said I'll have to upgrade in 6 month its more like a month cause she was small when I got her.

No she has not been 2 the Vet, I dont know if my vet deals with reptiles or anything like that. I'll have to call and ask.

During the day warm side is around 90 and cool side around 85. At night I turn her light of and it stays around 80 in her tank. I spray her tank every other day with a light mist. I dont know the exact humidity in there. I dont have a humitidy guage.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:52 PM   #8
Pink Lady Exotics
You need a hygrometer (humidity guage), as well as a DIGITAL thermometer with probe to measure temps...knowing "about" what temp you keep her at is not sufficient. Pet store people rarely if ever know jack about reptiles and PROPER care -- they know crappy pet store care. Your tank looks like a regular 20g. You need to get her a 20-long so you can provide adequate hiding places and temp gradient.

You don't want to put her in a pillowcase to help with shed for fear of stressing her out...yet you keep her out of her cage for hours at a time??? That is far more stressful than being in a safe, dark, quiet pillowcase.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:06 AM   #9
Python420
you sure the snake can breath in there

Old 08-09-2007, 02:03 AM   #10
Pink Lady Exotics
Absolutely. The vast majority of people on this forum are not new keepers, we all have modest collections and a good deal of experience -- some decades, some just a couple years. Using a damp pillowcase overnight over the warm spot is a tried and true method of helping a snake remove any remaining stuck shed. I've used this on many rescued snakes as well as my one weird Colombian rainbow boa who seems to never figure out how to shed correctly. Works every time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!