I bought a Goliath Bird Eater today! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:42 PM   #11
John Apple
The best way of sexing is by a molt...but there is another way and only males have them...there is another set of spinnerets that is between the forward pair of book lungs which they use for making a sperm web.
they can be found in very young tarantulas and they look like a triangle set of hairs. To be sure with this method you need two spiders of the same specie to compare. I am about 90% accurate this way.
If you have a good microscope you can tell with a shed from first instar and this way I am 100%.
hope this helps

Old 06-12-2006, 07:50 PM   #12
SIRS
thanks yes it helps but i only have one of each and no microscope ..the place i picked them up at said they can get them sexed for me with the molt ,but they said it would take like 6 weeks because they ship it some where ,its not that important to know there sex ,well not yet it isn't .but i would just like to know thanks for the help ,one more question , i was told they can get pinkies? my T is about the size of a saucer is he big enough? also does it matter if there live or f/t ? i been tempted to throw one in since i have pinkies but he seems to do fine with out them ..oh yeah since i have you here ..sorry ,I'm planning to make my two some new enclosures would a 12x12x12 be fine when there adults? i might make it alittle deeper since i have him in a 10 gal. now that i made a rock wall and he seems to like to climb it ...thanks again John

Old 06-12-2006, 10:44 PM   #13
Art Klass
Great pics Jim! and your T's are gorgeous. Thanks to both of you for all the information provided. I'm very excited about my new addition. I think she's an awesome and fascinating creature.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:25 AM   #14
John Apple
Jim
A goliath will eat anything it can kill, I have fed mine frogs,toads,small snakes live mice large beetles...well you get the idea
a foot square seems a bit small for a large full grown goliath [remember they get almost that big] so I would set them up in at 'least' a ten gallon or bigger.
take care bud
Apple

Old 06-15-2006, 03:28 AM   #15
ladyserpent7
very beautiful pictures Art and Jim..i love the colors..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!