Python Eats Owner - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:16 PM   #1
boybronco
Python Eats Owner

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&feed=rss.news

He was handling it alone...in a barn. Woops?

Old 09-05-2006, 03:17 PM   #2
boybronco
Hmm no edit button...meant killed not Eats.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:58 PM   #3
kmurphy
Pet Python Kills Man in Indiana

Tuesday, September 5, 2006

A 14-foot pet python crushed its owner to death, authorities said Tuesday after finding the snake loose in a southern Indiana shed with the man's body.

Patrick Von Allmen, 23, was found Monday evening in the shed near Lanesville, about 15 miles west of Louisville, Ky.

A medical examiner determined that the death was consistent with asphyxiation caused by compression of the neck and chest, said Conservation Officer Mark Farmer.

"When you're dealing with a wild animal species, you take on a certain amount of risk," he said.

Von Allmen had told family members he was going to treat the snake for a medical condition, farmer said. He was alone in the shed with the python for about three hours before his body was found.

Relatives said Von Allmen had 10 to 12 years of experience handling reptiles, according to authorities. The family got the snake as a pet five months ago, Farmer said.

Indiana law does not restrict ownership of snakes, and the python was returned to the family.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:16 PM   #4
INSANE CANES
Exclamation

Wow.....

Old 09-05-2006, 10:59 PM   #5
ldydrgn
Wow is right... Patrick was a friend of ours. We told him many times that he should never try to handle the retics by himself. He called me Sunday asking what he should do about her mouth... said it looked swollen. He had moved her to a smaller enclosure in order to cool her for breeding. The enclosure was too small so she started rubbing. I told him how to treat her...

I still can't believe he tried to do it alone. She didn't bite him, only constricted.

*sigh* I need to see about attending the visitation tomorrow.... I am saddened and angry all at the same time....

Old 09-06-2006, 01:58 AM   #6
Peacemaker
Hi All:
I would like to get information on funeral arrangements for Patrick if anyone can help I would be grateful!
All our Prayers are going out to the family!!

Always in Christ
Bro. Jeff Edington

Old 09-06-2006, 12:59 PM   #7
ldydrgn
William, information is this:

Visitation will be held on September 6 from 3:00-9:00 p.m. at Bean Blossum Caesar Funeral Home in Corydon Indiana.

Funeral Services will be held at 11:00am on September 7 at St Mary's Catholic Church in Lanesville, Indiana.

I plan on speaking with the family tonight about setting up a Paypal account for donations. Patrick didn't have any insurance and they are strapped for services cost.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #8
Donnie Smith
Jeff,

http://holzking.net/kyherpsoc/viewtopic.php?t=1171

That link contains the information you requested.

-Donnie Smith

Old 09-09-2006, 01:48 AM   #9
handsomeRob
ok, this brings an interesting string of questions to mind. this is regarding the topic as a whole, not just this one circumstance.

after the snake is returned to the family....

1. do families keep the reptile?

2. do they destroy the reptile?

3. do they sell the reptile or give it to a zoo?

4. is there any law stating that if a reptile kills someone the seller has to inform the potential buyer of the incident?

i feel sorry for the guy who died but put yourself in the family's shoes. i mean how would you react if your relative's pet killed your loved one and the authorities said "sorry but your relative's snake killed him/her. here's your snake"?

Old 09-09-2006, 11:27 AM   #10
ldydrgn
The family understands that it really wasn't the snake's fault. She wasn't trying to kill him, only wanting to get away. She actually has a sweet disposition, never bitten. She was just too big to deal with alone.

We are in the process of obtaining a transportation permit and we will be taking possession of Patrick's snakes once we have it. They will be brought into our home, quarantined, vet checked and fed. Once they are deemed healthy they will be sold. Any potential buyers will be screened carefully and will be notified of what happened. All monies made will be given to the Von Allmen family. They want the snakes cared for, just not by themselves. They will be keeping the smaller snakes that belong to the father and older brother.

I can't speak for what other families would do, but this is what is occurring in this instance.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!