Ohio - Pet python kills owner - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:28 AM   #1
Clay Davenport
Ohio - Pet python kills owner

Ted Dres, 48, died Saturday after his pet snake wrapped itself around his neck, strangling him.

Dres died at Bethesda North Hospital about 1:45 a.m., despite Loveland-Symmes medics’ efforts to save him.

Officials said the death highlights the risk that comes with owning exotic pets.

OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1');
In Butler County, a man was bitten by a pet monkey last month and a woman was bitten by her pet python in August.

State lawmakers are considering exotic-pet regulations. In Kentucky, some officials in Campbell County are considering an exotic-pets ban.

“People who keep these type of animals as pets should know exactly what they’re doing and what they’re capable of,” said Andy Mahlman, spokesman for the Cincinnati Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Mahlman said he has seen photographs of reptile owners posing with snakes coiled around their necks. “They don’t realize they could be a few seconds away from death,” he said.

“This is not just a joke or a plaything,” Mahlman said. “You’re dealing with a creature that is capable of killing.”

Dres’ snake is being kept at the society’s shelter until further directions from police or Dres’ family, Mahlman said. It could end up with one of several reptile-rescue groups that work with the society.

The incident leading to Dres’ death began About 12:45 a.m., when an acquaintance of Dres called 911 to report that Dres’ 13-foot-long python had wrapped around his neck inside its cage in the 10000 block of Lincoln Road.

“The snake continued to strangle the victim until deputies arrived,” the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office said. in a news release

When deputies arrived, They found Dres face-down in the cage with the snake still around his neck. Deputies removed the snake from Dres, and Loveland-Symmes medics performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation. With deputies’ help, members of an animal-protection group used a blanket and rope to “bag” the reptile.

He said the snake likely would end up with one of several reptile-rescue groups that work with the society.

Link to article

Old 12-18-2006, 11:05 AM   #2
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newspaper
State lawmakers are considering exotic-pet regulations. In Kentucky, some officials in Campbell County are considering an exotic-pets ban.
Regulation or prohibition? I have a couple issues with regulations. They are a great opportunity for the government to dip into our pockets yet again (and in the case of New Jersey - annually). They seek to address behavior of the "least common denominator". How many responsible keepers have large animals in their collection - but don't get killed, disfigured, or eaten?

Let's assume that this guy was the most experienced keeper in the world and this happened to be an unfortunate accident - a mistake which cost dearly. How often does this occur with knowledgeable, experienced keepers?

I wonder how the ban that the Campbell County is proposing would fare on appeal?

Quote:
“People who keep these type of animals as pets should know exactly what they’re doing and what they’re capable of,” said Andy Mahlman, spokesman for the Cincinnati Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
That sums it up in a nutshell and is actually a reasonable position. Don't ban them - just don't let the cognitively chalenged or irresponsible have them. Now how you address that challenge is another matter.

Quote:
“This is not just a joke or a plaything,” Mahlman said. “You’re dealing with a creature that is capable of killing.”
Many more people die from food allergies every year - but its not dramatic enough to hit the front page. Imagine some one quoting this guy from a deadly reaction to a peanut allergy; "You're dealing with a legume that is capable of killing".

Old 12-18-2006, 11:59 AM   #3
Otter_23
I really wish those that choose to own large constrictors would regulate themselves before it is no longer a choice of theirs. By this I mean if they would set their own procedures (like responsible venomous keepers do) it would reduce the risk of these events occuring. 2 general rules would seem to greatly reduce these types of stories.
1. Never work with large constrictors alone.
2. Have alcohol present and instructions listed on the cage of what to do if they should get ahold of someone and constrict.

If we continue to hear these type of stories the states, counties etc... will regulate by just not allowing these animals to be kept. Given the fact that more people are mauled and hurt by dogs it is more sensational to write stories of when reptiles attack.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:19 PM   #4
Wilomn
Any bets on alcohol being a factor in this? 12:45 am? One guy IN the cage with his python?

Be interesting to see if this instance, as with many others, is due to stupidity enhanced by alcohol and not just an unfortunate accident.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:38 PM   #5
Justin Mitcham
LOL regulations....
Funny over 300,000 people are sent to the ER because of dog attacks about 1/2 are children most who were bitten in the face... this isn't counting the many deaths from maulings , rabies and or other diseases and issues...so where's the regs on dogs??

Old 12-18-2006, 12:45 PM   #6
fuscusking13
What Kind???

Any one know what kind of python this was, although it sounds like a burm to me. I hate all these people that have this stuff happen and make it harder for all the rest of us to keep our animals. I always have someone around when moving anything that has the capability of killing or seriously injuring me. The problem here is too many people take their snakes for granted and give them qualities that just dont exisit. My favorite is the people who say ohh my snake loves me. NO IT DOESNT!!!!! It tolerates you to survive, and adapts to your presence. I love my snakes, but I know the feeling is not mutual, why cant other people accept this??? A little knowledge and research goes a long way before you purchase a new animal, and IMO anyone who is going to get any animal reptile or otherwise needs to learn everything they can before purchase. Then people have to learn to treat their animal for what it is. Because you name it Fluffy doesnt mean it will be cute and cuddly. It is what it is, and will always remain an unpredictable wild animal. Maybe 200 years from now this will be different when snakes become very domesticated thru generations, and begin to lose some of their instincts, but that is not definate, and either way it still has the capability to kill you!!!! So respect it and all these situations can be avoided, even the best of the best have had close calls, but they are prepared with knowledge and backup to deal with whatever may come, and thats the difference maker here. Anyway, now that I rambled on and on.... let me know if anyone knows the species. Da.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:56 PM   #7
tanyah625
Killer pet snake won't be put down

Killer pet snake won't be put down
Jamie Pandaram
December 18, 2006 - 2:35PM
The mother of an American man who was strangled to death by his pet snake has refused to consider putting the animal down because her son wouldn't want it harmed.
Elaine Dres's only son Ted died yesterday after he slipped while entering the cage he built to house his four-metre boa constrictor at his home in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Sensing its owner was dazed, the python wrapped itself around Mr Dres's neck and choked the life out of him. When officers arrived, the snake had to be pried off by three people.
Mrs Dres, who lost her husband two years ago in December, told smh.com.au Ted had loved snakes since he was a little boy.
"I still can't believe Ted is gone, I have to stop myself from thinking he is going to call me - I just can't even comprehend what has happened,'' Mrs Dres, 76, said.
"Ever since he was about 14 he has had snakes. I think a friend of his in grade school had one and so he got a snake, he could find you a snake in the woods in five minutes.
"I couldn't have the snake put down, Ted wouldn't want that. Even though it killed him, Ted wouldn't want it harmed.
"It's now at the SPCA, I couldn't take it.''
Mr Dres's funeral will be held on Thursday (US time) with the burial to be done the following day.
"He didn't have any children, he wasn't married,'' Mrs Dres said.
"He had loads of friends.
"I have five children, Ted was the only boy. His sisters aren't doing too well over this.''
Mr Dres had owned this particular snake for about 11 years but it is not known if he had given his pet a name.
"He had a special cage built for his python. He was going into the cage and I don't know if he slipped or what, but he fell as he was reaching for the snake,'' Mrs Dres said.
"The snake sensed that Ted was dazed and wrapped itself around him.
"If Ted hadn't fallen this wouldn't have happened.''
Ted's cousin James Dres found out about the death through a television report and said he was shocked and distressed.

Old 12-18-2006, 06:46 PM   #8
alexinwunderland
it seems to me that this was in fact a tragedy but none the less a four metre snake is millions of years of natural instinct and at that lenght im guessing 60 to 70 pounds or more of muscle and teeth i would love to have a burm but i know that it is a life long comitment and not all my friends are going to want to come over once a week to change the water in the kiddie pool the snake bathes and drinks from

Old 12-19-2006, 04:03 PM   #9
Rattlesnake
Allvery valid points.
I thought the general rule of thumb was for every 6' or more, there should be 2 people present.
Is that correct?

Old 12-19-2006, 04:19 PM   #10
DragonEye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake
Allvery valid points.
I thought the general rule of thumb was for every 6' or more, there should be 2 people present.
Is that correct?

yes, very correct. I had a Burmese Python but i had to get rid of him when i moved. anything over 6' and they can possible get too powerful for ya. Mine was about 8', and getting it out of its cage was the hard part, but once it realized you weren't a threat and you were handleing it, then it was fine with you. they really can be rewarding pets, but they are a TON OF WORK and VERY DANGEROUS if you dont know what your doing... that was my first reptile pet, but i did a LOT of research on it before i got one and i made sure to do everything i could to get it to be safe for both me and the snake.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!