First-timer has questions... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
Big Papa Dilly
Question First-timer has questions...

I recently took in 2 beardies -- their former owner just wasn't "up to it" anymore. The male, Walter, is ~1yr old and the female, Opal, is ~1.5yrs old. According to the previous owner, they have been living together (for almost a year) in a 55gal tank. Almost as soon as they moved in, we noticed a LOT of aggressive behavior on Walter's part towards Opal. Then it happened...

One day in mid-December, I looked up and they were mid-coitus. This lasted for a few minutes and then they separated. A few minutes later, they were at it again. This went on ALL day -- a few minutes of rest, then back to business. I haven't seen any other action since.

At first I thought, "That was cool. I wonder if she'll have eggs." I figured that I had several weeks ahead of watching her grow larger -- during which I would prepare a lay box, acquire an incubator, learn about hatchlings, etc. Little did I know that "several" weeks was really more like 3. I was hanging out with Opal last night and was surprised to feel several distinct (yet soft) bulges in her belly.

As soon as I got to work today, I logged on and started researching in earnest. Almost right away, I found the sticky thread about beardie breeding -- and felt like a brick hit me when I read that gestation only lasts 20-30 days.

Needless to say, I'm a little behind the curve now and am looking for advice...

1 - Where can I get an incubator ASAP? And advice on using it? I live in Cedar Park, TX (suburb of Austin). It looks like the Hova-bator is pretty much the standard. Can I use it as-is?

2 - Opal has been scratching at the sides of her tank since last night. I think this means it's time to move her to a lay-box. Any other signs I can watch for? I don't want to move her too early but I definitely don't wan't to move her too late.

3 - What will I need on-hand for the hatchlings? Salad? Pinheads (how many)?

4 - I'm open to general advice here...

Thanks in advance. I know y'all won't let me down!
-Dallas

Tags
breeding, dragon, gravid, incubator