Two headed snakes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
UwabamiReptiles
Two headed snakes

I hope this is the right place to post this question but here we go. I was just on youtube and saw a few videos that had two headed snakes eating and seem to be living just fine. My question is: What is the general outlook on the two headed animals? Is it unethical to try to raise them up? Should they just be culled immediately? It seemed the only ones that had videos were baby snakes and no adults. Or should it just be something that you take case by case? I'm just curious what other people's thoughts on the subject are. As I'm still undecided on the matter.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:50 AM   #2
MDC_Ophiuchus
There are definitely some adult 2-headed snakes out there (too tired and lazy to dig some up for you). But I have seen photos of adults.

IMHO, when it comes to culling, I think the main question to ask is: can this animal live a reasonably healthy life or will it be filled with suffering, constant stress, and pain? If its the former, I see no reason why a 2-headed snake should be culled. While its not a inheritable trait to be reproduced genetically (as far as I know), and there may be the occasional squabble between heads, the snake still doesn't deserve to die just because it be a little inconvenient to keep it.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
UwabamiReptiles
I agree completely with on not killing just because. I was just wondering what some other people's opinions on the matter are. I guess since I didn't come across any adults, I was thinking that most would have complications that would kill them before they reached adulthood.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
MDC_Ophiuchus
Here's some adult double-headers I came across with a google search:

Old 07-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
UwabamiReptiles
Oh wow, thanks for taking the time to look those up. That last one with both heads eating is crazy. I guess two-headed snakes can be just as healthy as one headed snakes.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
T-RAY
If anyone comes across any two-headed animals, please contact me directly. I run a museum of mutations and we buy all unusual animals (living or dead). We currently have a two-headed kingsnake and a two-headed albino hognose snake, many two-headed turtles and even a two-headed six-legged bearded dragon....all alive.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!