Affirmative action - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:34 AM   #11
Dragondad
Here is the hiring policy of a major corporation. And this is probably duplicated in all corporations since due to our audit of this policy we were found not to be doing enough for affirmative action.

On the application for employment the applicant is invited to "self disclose" their minority status. We as people accepting the applications, doing interviews or just meeting them when the application was returned, were to identify the "status" of the applicant if possible. Now the law says we are not allowed to discriminate against anyone based on race or gender. So we could not throw out an application of someone being a minority, nor could we throw out someone for being white. Yet when the review process came into play for further interviews the minority applicants were more heavily weighted to try to load a more positive mix.

Or simply put, if we had 100 applicants, and were bringing 10 back for further interviews. At least 6 to 8 of the ones brought back would be a minority even if the original 100 did not consist of that same ratio.

I don't know but something seemed wrong with this picture to the degree that in an effort to adhere to the law we were violating the law of equal rights.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:17 AM   #12
John Apple
That very same thing goes on here where I work...and it is kind of sick . Out of all the applicants hired the majority are minorities and the other half can't even pass a drug test. So we wind up hiring slackers that think they are owed something. I can't even recall the number of these folks that are fired because of a lack of performance or attendance problems that SCREAM racism at the top of their lungs.
I find it funny that the girls hollering racial comments at the hispanic person going out the wrong door when they probably left their kids in the car on a yellow curb. I gotta tell you the hispanic folks working here are working like it is a privilidge.
I did see a cop last night at Kroger giving out tickets to people parked like that while they were coming out of the store. All were African Americans and all were pissed off like the cop was wrong. Poetic justice....as bad as this sounds that made me feel a bit good

Old 12-29-2006, 10:01 AM   #13
Dragondad
John:

I totally agree, I understand the need to have a chance. I pushed more company policy to give people a chance and turned out right. He was hispanic with a felony conviction, policy left the choice to me (subtle in that if something bad happened then it was up to me) the guy was one of the best employees we had. Same for another gentleman, African American but admited he was borderline illliterate. Again took the chance and found a job that fit his talent.

Yet I fought and fought against the method of identifying the minority as wrong.

I can't say its right or wrong to feel what you feel about the tickets. But I sure understand and agree with what you feel.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:10 PM   #14
scotty77327
i recieved this

This was in my e-mail today .
You call me "Cracker", "Honkey", "Whitey" and you think it's OK.

But when I call you Kike, Towelhead, WOP, Sand-ni**er, Camel Jockey, Gook, ni**er or Chink you call me a racist.

You have the United Negro College Fund.
You have Martin Luther King Day.
You have Black History Month.
You have Cesar Chavez Day.
You have Yom Hashoah
You have Ma'uled Al-Nabi
You have the NAACP.
You have BET.

If we had WET(white entertainment television) ..we'd be racists.

If we had a White Pride Day... you would call us racists.

If we had white history month... we'd be racists.

If we had an organization for only whites to "advance" our lives... we'd be racists.

If we had a college fund that only gave white students scholarships...you know we'd be racists.

In the Million Man March, you believed that you were marching for your race and rights. If we marched for our race and rights...you would call us racists.

Did you know that some high school students decided to make a club for only the white students because the other ethnicities had them... they all got sent to court for being racist but the african-american, latino, and asia clubs were not even questioned.

You are proud to be black, brown, yellow and orange, and you're not afraid to announce it. But when we announce our white pride, you call us racists.

I am white.
I am proud.
-that doesn't mean that I hate others.

But, you call that racist.

Why is it that only whites can be racists?

Forward if you agree.

Now watch, I'll be a racist for sending this

Old 12-29-2006, 04:23 PM   #15
Wilomn
On forms that I must on occasion fill out there are portions that are not only no ones business, but irrelevant.

When I am asked what race I am, I put Human. When asked what ethnicity I am, I put American.

Chances are I won't like you no matter what your colour or where you trace your origins to. Chances are I won't give a rat's patootie about what you think regaurdless of your colours or origins.

IF I like you or respect your opinion, it will be because of the person you are, not what you look like or where you think you came from.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:19 PM   #16
Chameleon Company
Heard this on a national radio show last half-hour, as an example of what we've become.

Imagine that its the day after the world has been destroyed. The New York Times would read:

(First Headline): WORLD DESTROYED
(Second Headline): Nuclear Holocaust Kills Everything
(Third headline): Minorities Hardest Hit

Old 12-29-2006, 09:40 PM   #17
Schlyne
It is sad. I should not get a job just because I am an Asian American woman. I should get the job because I'm the most qualified or the best candidate, not solely based on the fact that I'm an Asian American woman. We go on and continue to draw the lines and keep the divisons.

It reminds me of when my one of my friends was looking for scholarships for graduate school. He said if he ever became rich he was going to start a scholarship for white blue eyed blond males. He probably could have gotten a full ride if he'd been a member of a minority group or if he were female. Ironically, in the state of Texas, where he was going to the school at the time, Caucasians are now a minority.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:02 AM   #18
John Apple
Ya know...what is a minority...go to downtown Detroit and ask someone and they will tell you 'whitey is'.

Old 01-01-2007, 04:03 AM   #19
dandddragons
Gone are the days of " the best person for the job" and hiring who "fits the job best". It has become more and more evident that it no longer exists due to government "recommendations and mandates" IE- money and/or laws. I fully understand the initial purpose of all this but it has been becoming increasingly unfair and doesn't appear that it will soon end. I applied, tested and interviewed for a total of 16 positions at a college.I received my rankings for all testings (top 10 tested in 8 of 9 areas) and placement in interview criteria (9). I felt pretty sure I would be offered one of the positions, boy was I wrong. After final "data" was included I dropped from 9 to 37 on the list because I "didn't fit in to the immediate needs of the program". I was able to find out the truth when I ran into one of the interviewers at a reptile show. It turns out they would have been more than happy to hire me but could not because I am not female nor a minority and the "numbers" would have been off. Since then they have gone through 23 people in a matter of 15 months with the longest lasting 8 months before quitting( just not showing up anymore).The last person hired, speaks very broken english and can not read or write it- they have to supply an interpreter so this guy can do his f-in job, and he's more "qualified" than I am. The interviewer also told me he hates the rules they have to follow when hiring but if they don't they lose their job. I'm really thinking I have now become the minority because I am being forced to take demeaning, low pay, no benefits jobs to survive and don't "qualify" for any local, state or fed assistance because I make to much at my 30hr a week part-time job @10.15 an hour ( I know, whoopee I'm rolling in the big bucks). I've even been tempted to find a lawyer and file reverse discrimination lawsuits but there's no way I could afford it. We have people get hired in the store who quit in a days time- they were told to find a job or the benis stop- so work for 1 day, quit and go back on all the programs where they make more money, free medical, bills paid ( including cell phone and cable)very reduced rent -$ 25/ $100 a month is all they pay,and a car and gas so they can get around. If you ask them, they tell you they can't afford to work unless they would get 20 to $25 bucks a hour.
Tis a sorry state this country is getting in - hopefully 2007 will bring better luck and fortune to all- HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Old 01-01-2007, 07:12 PM   #20
crotalusadamanteus
Unfortunately the civil rights movement did this to us. It was supposed to make us all equally American, instead it just segregated us into American categories like African American, Mexican (or Latin I guess) American, Asian American, instead of just plain ol' AMERICANS.

I personally hate this issue with a passion. Just a bunch of sniveling whine baby ass Mother PHUCKERS who want something for nothing. I am really sick of hearing this sort of crap. Not aimed at you guys, but I live in El Paso, and it's predominantly Mexicans who feel like they have special rights due to the US categorizing them as minority. BULLSHIT. Your life is what you make of it you sniveling little bitches!!! Get off your asses and do something about it. You have special programs built especially for you due to all the crying that's happened over the years. Latin American college funds, African American college funds, etc, etc. The same stuff that a European migrant is not eligible for. Explain that to me.

I just don't get this crap. It's this same segregation, (and that's exactly what it is) that keeps the racism going strong. Personally, i think they should make new laws regarding this type of crap. No more special privileges for ANYBODY PERIOD. EQUALITY is what it's supposed to be about.

Instead, they apply for citizenship, and once it's granted, they start with the DEMANDS. And unfortunately, we (our government) gives it to them, which empowers them to make even more demands.

Here's what I propose.................. My grandparents migrated here from Europe in the early days of INS, and they spent a WHOLE YEAR at Ellis Island, learning to read, speak and write English, before they were granted full citizenship. They worked hard to accomplish the American dream of freedom.

I say if they don't speak our language, give them a chance to learn it, or send them back if they don't want to. I also say that when you accept the citizenship, than you are an American, nothing more. You swear loyalty to this union. NO DUAL citizenship allowed. If you fly a flag of another country, it's treasonous, and should be treated as such. If you refuse to speak the language of the land, home you go. If you don't or can't agree to the rules, STAY THE HELL AWAY! It's real simple actually.

Here's a good one. L.U.L.A.C. (league of united latin american citizens) They spend more money defending ILLEGAL alien mexicans, than they do the Mexican citizens. Go figure. Hell, we got congressmen who feel like parts of this country should still belong to mexico. Get over it. The boundary was set like a HUNDRED AND FIFTY years ago.

Man, if i had a billion dollars, I'd create a White American college fund, just to make some waves. So tired of hearing this crap. Something really needs to be done about it. It's long gotten out of hand.

Sorry for the rant, but this is a touchy subject. I get racial type crap out here all the time. Literally DAILY! I am truly worried I will be pushed too far, and will shoot one of them some day, and lose My freedom. One thing I cannot stand is a human being trying to play this VICTIM role. It just gets me going every time I hear it. There are very few actual victims in this world. Even less here in the USA.

Quit the crying and DO SOMETHING about your situation already.

Seems "Something for nothing" is fast becoming the new American motto. It just sickens me to think this what I joined the military to protect. Truly shameful

Well, there's my 50 cents worth on the subject. Sorry if it's out of line, but you can bet i mean it.
Rick

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!