Could it POSSIBLY be an Eastern King? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-28-2004, 12:02 AM   #1
Sasheena
Question Could it POSSIBLY be an Eastern King?

Well this snake was sold to me as an Eastern Chain King... I didn't think it was one, but hubby liked its pattern.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2004, 12:32 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
It's a desert kingsnake, Lampropeltis getula splendida .

Old 03-28-2004, 12:36 AM   #3
Sasheena
So if I went and got a female splendida for him, I wouldn't have to worry about hybridization/integrading? Just want to be sure.

Splendida/Cal King integrades are often referred to as "Yuma" kings yes? just curious.

So should I be freaked that I was sold an "Eastern Chain King" that was actually a Splendida? I didn't really spend "Money" as I traded mice for him.

Old 03-28-2004, 12:39 AM   #4
Sybella
Oh goodness! You're going to have black and white snakes up to your eyeballs!

Old 03-28-2004, 12:49 AM   #5
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally posted by Sasheena
So if I went and got a female splendida for him, I wouldn't have to worry about hybridization/integrading? Just want to be sure.

Splendida/Cal King integrades are often referred to as "Yuma" kings yes? just curious.

So should I be freaked that I was sold an "Eastern Chain King" that was actually a Splendida? I didn't really spend "Money" as I traded mice for him.
Well, barring the possibility that this snake is a hybrid, yes you can get a mate splendida and breed them without making intergrades.
The snake pictured doesn't appear to me to be a hybrid, but there's no real way of knowing, especially when the person you got it from didn't even know what it was exactly.
I would still say you are pretty safe producing splendida though.

"Yuma" kings were at one time a subspecies of their own, Lampropeltis getula yumensis, but are no longer recognized taxonomically. They are now considered to be a phase of the california king.
Although you will still see some people offering yumensis for sale from time to time.

I wouldn't worry about it being called an eastern. Probably just a case of them not knowing any better, or they got it as such themselves. It's not an eastern though, that's obvious.
They both are nice snakes in their own right, so you didn't lose or gain anything really in the trade, you just got something you weren't expecting.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!